Skip to main content

Topic: 1992 U225 5.9 Cummins For Sale $12,000 Asking (Read 361 times) previous topic - next topic

1992 U225 5.9 Cummins For Sale $12,000 Asking
Jimmy Freytag found this one in Odessa, TX and posted it on the Foretravel Facebook Group. 5.9 Cummins with 75,000 miles including new tires last year. Faded decals but sure worth a look for someone looking for a diesel pusher. Bet $10K would...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 1992 U225 5.9 Cummins For Sale $12,000 Asking
Reply #1
Like so many coaches that come on the market with 'low mileage' and such, I'd be real leery of them. The fact that she is a 'U' means that there could be serious problems down below. She has the 'torsilastic' suspension, but has it been...

Reply #2
Here we go: The 225 is not quite as serious as the 240; because of the weight of the CAT 3116 engine, Brett had his/ours upgraded.

Reply #3
Good attachment. I always wondered what they looked like. Yes, you could easily drop a lot of money into a "problem child" but the faded decals could be a plus as they might mean that while the coach was stored outside, it may have been in a dry...

Reply #4
As I have said many times, this vintage coach (27 years old) could be a treasure or (more likely) a money pit-- and could be overpriced at free.

Bulkheads, torsilastic suspension repair, batteries, fuel lines, tires, brakes, etc could easily cost...

Reply #5
In my thirty year, three coach experience, with 'normal' use, everything will need service/replacement at around 80k, and every 80k thereafter; that's just how it works. I once had a 'tech' tell me, "you know, these rigs are NOT made for...

Reply #6
  and could be overpriced at free.
Ha! We've some friends up north that got a sailboat like that. When they got into it, she told me, "They should have paid US to take it away!"

Reply #7
As I have said many times, this vintage coach (27 years old) could be a treasure or (more likely) a money pit-- and could be overpriced at free.
Bulkheads, torsilastic suspension repair,...

Reply #8
After all, this is a coach going on thirty years old so that's why I said that you should be able to do at least some of the maintenance yourself.
'Maintenance' is one thing,...

Reply #9
'Maintenance' is one thing, a given. Unless the coach has had upgrades through it's life and paperwork to prove it, it's a crapshoot. I've never figured out what the parts/labor would be to...

Reply #10
The old line from my Grandfather, who ran Studebakers all his life, trouble-free, was 'get a rig built on a Wednesday.' I'm thinking , more and more: "Buy a rig from a Wednesday PO"  (If you catch my drift)