Skip to main content
Topic: Cold Climate Use of a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System (Read 1864 times) previous topic - next topic

Cold Climate Use of a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System

Can a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System be used in cold weather conditions without any risk of damaging the water distribution system and holding tanks ( such as freezing water lines, cracking water lines, or damaging holding tanks)?

What temperature ranges would be safe?

Thanks in Advance!!!

John A Meents

Re: Cold Climate Use of a Foretravel Motorhome with a Hydro-Hot Heating System

Reply #1
If you mean Aqua-Hot, I have used ours into the single digits at night. It would not be safe to store at those temps but using it keeps everything from freezing on our coach.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
If you mean Aqua-Hot, I have used ours into the single digits at night. It would not be safe to store at those temps but using it keeps everything from freezing on our coach.

Craneman,

The 2007 Foretravel Nimbus Motorhome I'm looking at has a Hydro-Hot Heating System, not the Aqua-Hot System.

John

Reply #3
John,

We have the larger Aqua Hot unit but camp with a couple that has the Hydro Hot unit.  We (us and them) have been in weather down to 0 overnight (for a week) with no problem. The day time temps never got above 20 during that time. Put it over on diesel and set the basement heat to 50 or so and you will be good to go.

Pamela & Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #4
Agree with the others. When I was full timing, we saw 0 to -4  eight nights in a row, didn't get above 10 for the high. Kept the coach at 70 and the bays at 50. We stayed more comfortable then than what my bricks and sticks now do at 70. One of the big reasons why I love my aqua hot.

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #5
A few years ago I had my coach ( with AquaHot) in freezing weather for about a week and two things froze up: the ice maker control valve which is in the back of the fridge behind the exterior access panel and a water drain valve mounted right behind the bay door in front of the AquaHot.  After discovering the problems I put in trouble lights with 60 watt bulbs and nothing else broke.
Larry Rubin
2004 U295 38' build 6278
2014 Jeep Cherokee

Reply #6
The AquaHots in the U320 coaches are bigger capacity than the HydroHot in the Nimbus.  Maybe Rudy will tell us the differences and how it will affect cold weather use.

Reply #7
The AquaHots in the U320 coaches are bigger capacity than the HydroHot in the Nimbus.  Maybe Rudy will tell us the differences and how it will affect cold weather use.

Once asked another high end mfg what was the difference and why they used HH instead of AH, and was told the founder and owner had called AH tech support and got no help, now all their rvs since have had HH.  True story.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #8
When Vehicle Heating Systems, whose name has been changed to Aqua Hot Heating Systems, started to manufacure a smaller, less expensive heater, they called it the Hydro Hot.

The Hydro Hot model is now the 450 DE model.  These models have a 5 gallon coolant tank vs the older 431/12 or 100 02S seen in Fore Family made Coaches which have 16 gallon coolant tanks.  The bigger heaters store over 3 times as much heat as the smaller Hydro Hot or 400 series heaters.  The big heaters will heat the inside and heat hot water at the same time.  The smaller heaters will heat the inside OR heat hot water, but not both at the same time.  No interior heat during hot water use with the small heaters.  The small heaters cost less for the manufacturer to purchase.

Now days there are multiple models in the 400 series to continue the lower cost for manufacturers to choose from.  Tiffin, Integra Anthem and Cornerstone install the 450 DE with 4 pumps including engine preheat.

FORETRAVEL IC37 and Fleetwood install the 400D with 2 pumps, no engine preheat and 5 gallon tank.  These heat the interior OR heat hot water favoring hot water heating.

Integra Aspire has the 400LP, two pumps, no engine preheat with LP burner, no diesel.

Thor installs the 250LP, only 1 pump, 3.7 gallon tank and LP burner.

Each heater will keep the coach warm down in to the single digits or even below zero.  But with some water pipes mounted near the outside walls, warm air may not be easily circulated by the fan coils to those areas.  Just be sure you have house 12 vdc and diesel or propane to last the cold spell.

Getting sufficent warm air to all areas having water pipes is determined by the coach builder and their learned degreed design engineers.  But, the warm air is available from the Aqua Hot brand heaters.

In nine years, I have never had a problem contacting Aqua Hot Tech Support.  My phone call looks like everyone elses call, no special behind the scene phone number to them.

Hope this helps.
Rudy Legett
2003 U320 4010 ISM 450 hp
2001 U320 4220 ISM 450 hp
1995 U320 M11 400 hp
1990 Granvilla 300 hp 3208T
Aqua Hot Service Houston and Southeast Texas

Reply #9
Can anyone answer this question, we are looking for a U320 because it has the Aqua Hot heating system, We would be happy with a U295 if the gas heat keeps the coach as warm in temperatures described above, (-4F). Is the Aqua hot that much better?
Second question: What is the coldest outside temperature the coach will remain unfrozen as opposed to comfortable?
Thanks
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #10
I had an older motorhome with a conventional propane furnace and now a 1995 U320 with an Aqua-Hot. There is no comparison. I will never own another motorhome without a large-capacity Aqua-Hot!
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #11
Folks seem to be pretty happy with their Aqua Hots when they are working.  A fair bit of complexity to them compared to the propane heaters.  They require maintenance and are not tolerant of sitting for long periods without being exercised.  They generate a nice, zoned, quiet and even heat.  They consume diesel and produce diesel exhaust, a deal killer for some.  Propane heaters will generate plenty of heat, but they are noisy, (interior fan and burner noise) and of course require propane.  Having propane heat  means you will also  have a propane water heater as the Aqua Hot covers that function as well.  Lots of folks with AquaHot have eliminated the propane stoves and gone to all electric, requiring either a shore power connection or generator usage for cooking.  Or one heck of a lot of battery capacity.  A replacement Aqua Hot is in the $10K range, replacement propane heaters maybe $1.5K.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #12
I realize I left your question unaddressed, operating in -4 degree temps.  I have no doubt the propane heaters would do the job, but there are so many other items you will be addressing operating in those temps.  Don't know the BTU output of Aquahot, but imagine it's capable as well.  A real downside to the propane heat in these temps is propane capacity.  Aquahot, drawing on a 150 gallon + fuel tank will no doubt go far longer than a tank of propane.  Aquahot also has the advantage of providing engine preheat in large quantity, whereas with propane you have to rely on  the less capable electric preheat built into most engines.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #13
We were in some single digit temps with our Aqua Hot and zero problems heating the coach and the water heater.  Love that system when it was working!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #14
Irish,

To answer your question, we don't have an AH, just a single propane furnace.  Cold weather camping use depends on how cold it is and how willing you are to make the coach cold weather tolerant.  I did this post 6 years ago (when we were still learning how good a FT is) with some suggestions on things you can do to avoid cold weather damage and live comfortably.  It was my first cold weather experience with our Foretravel.  I found I could live quite comfortably with all electric (not using the propane furnace) with the proper prep.  It did take a few nights before I felt comfortable with the setup.

We try not to camp in really cold weather but I spent 3 weeks in Colorado again this past Dec and did most of the described prep.  Ended up we didn't have any severe cold weather, but it didn't take long to get the coach ready just in case.  Still had the small electric heaters and bought about $25 worth of foam insulation for the basement bays.

Camping in Cold Weather-Long but hopefully useful

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #15
Rich
Thanks for that, I had read your cold weather camping description. Would it be fair to say that tha bays do not stay as hot as the coach and the plumbing there would be more likely to freeze than the living quarters plumbing?
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #16
David, I can't answer for the propane furnace keeping the bays warm since this is the only coach I have ever owned. With the Aqua-Hot, it has a separate zone set for the basement with its own thermostat. I cant remember for certain, but it seems like it could be set for up to 55 degrees (if I am wrong, others will chime in). When I was full timing in Ks winter, I made sure that the thermostat was set up as high as I could get it, made sure that the air could flow freely through the bays and kept the fresh water tank full so that the mass would help retain the heat. I considered putting in small electric heaters or lights to help, but that wasn't necessary in my case.

I didn't mind running the AH extra and burning diesel. The 200 gallon tank would outlast many times over a propane tank, even bringing in an external 100 gallon propane as many of the SOB's around me had done. A couple of 5th wheels in the park ran out of propane, pipes froze and had rather extensive damage.

As has been brought out, both have advantages and disadvantages. Do what makes you happy and the most sense for how you intend to use the coach. Happy hunting.
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #17
I would say that in general, the bays are colder than the coach with a propane furnace.  With the propane furnace(s), there is ducted heat to the left and right water bays.  But only when the furnace is running in the coach.  They aren't as well insulated as the coach but it also depends on how cold and for how long.  There is quite a bit of thermal mass if your fresh tank is full that helps damp the temp swings in the bay. 

There is some heat in the storage bay from the electrical equipment like the charger, air compressor and HWH boxes.  In fact, there is a thermostatically controlled fan to keep the bay cool in hot weather.

If you really spend much time below 20 degrees, a couple of remote thermometers are really handy.  They will let you know if additional heat is necessary.  As mentioned above, the damage can start and cascade to very serious, very quickly when it is really cold. 

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #18
1.Would it be fair to say that tha bays do not stay as hot as the coach
2. plumbing there would be more likely to freeze than the living quarters plumbing?
David,
1. Yes.
2. To just answer your basic question Yes.  Now the truth is this is a complex questions that has several variables.

We have camped in temps down to around 0 several times in Foretravels with Aqua Hot and one with heat from the propane furnace. As has been mentioned the A/H has basement thermostat that controls the heat radiators that heat the service bay area. This is where your water pump, water tank, sewer tanks, and all related piping. Between these heaters and the heat given off from the A/H its self the basement will be kept nice and warm. The piping that runs through the basement cable tray also helps with heating the floor of the coach kind of nice with stocking feet.

Our coach with the propane heaters worked OK in the same freezing temps.  The rear heater (our coach had 2) fed warm air to the service bay to keep that area warm. After tracking the temps around the water pump we did add some small light bulbs (this was before the time of those micro heaters) to be safe. The reason was that we found out that area around the water pump was in the low 30's when the heater was getting close to cycling back on. The big limiting factor is the size of the propane tank, so if you are going to have an extended stay in these temps. you will need some type of extend-a-stay propane system.

The thing about these coaches is in most cases (yes there are some extreme cases that some may come up with) if you keep the inside comfortable the water system will be comfortable too.

Pamela & Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #19
The coldest we have overnighted in our FT was -18° F in Bloomington, IL in a Walmart perking lot.  AquaHot on diesel, no land line, we ran the generator for a couple hours in the evening and an hour in the morning.  Ran the AquaHot engine preheat for about three hours in the morning.  We had sufficient heat and hot water and an engine that reported about 50° temps when it started right up.

Rudy told me the only AHs he has had to replace were due to freeze damage.  Normal maintenance is pretty easy to do yourself.  If you run your diesel side once a month for one cycle an "annual maintenance" can be three years apart.  Just a couple steps past that and most everything that is serviceable is accessible to you. 

All in all after owning an RV of one sort or another since 1974, I would be hard pressed to own another without an AquaHot.

Reply #20
Thanks All for your comments, sounds like I will do better with the Aqua Hot rather than the gas furnaces, I hate to have to winterize the coach for 6 weeks of possible serious cold before we head out and go south!
Really appreciate your help
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Reply #21
David, Aqua Hot or LP furnaces if you are where it is cold enough to freeze water you should winterize your coach.  We do ours even though we head south in two months.  Once you have been through the process it is pretty simple and takes an hour or so to winterize and not much more to unwinterize when you get somewhere warm.  When you are ready PM me and i can help you through the process step by step.

Reply #22

I hate to have to winterize the coach for 6 weeks of possible serious cold before we head out and go south!

It makes sense to winterize if you will be having more than a few days of below-freezing temperatures. The process is relatively easy and inexpensive. However heating the coach for several weeks can get expensive and there's always the risk of a heating-system failure unless closely monitored and frozen systems can be very difficult and expensive to repair/replace.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #23
The aqua hot's 1500 watt 120 volt element so keep the tanks and front of the coach and the bath over freezing.  Might never shut off the fans.  Maybe set really low?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #24
The aqua hot's 1500 watt 120 volt element so keep the tanks and front of the coach and the bath over freezing.  Might never shut off the fans.  Maybe set really low?
Can't say about real low temps, but have set coach and basement thermostats at 40 f and aqua-hot did cycle and maintain 40 f  in ambient 20's on only one 120 volt element.
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.