Skip to main content

Topic: Testing CAC (Read 490 times) previous topic - next topic

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Testing CAC
I pressure tested my Charge Air Cooler today. Kinda followed John and Chris's method. I gotta say this would be a lot easier with the CAC out of the vehicle. Anyhow, I used a piece of wood with rubber backing with a male air connection held tight...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Testing CAC
Reply #1
Jor --Glad you were BRAVE!!!
Chris

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Well done John see how easy it is to check pressure.
I did mine with it out due to repair of holes in cooling fins
JohnH

Reply #3
I would not run the pressure up more than peak turbo boost pressure plus 10%, and then time the leak down. My best guess is they all leak a little.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
We use capped pvc with a valve stem fitted in one end.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Think when they did mine they went to 50lbs,Phred,it's a metal vessel why would it always have a leak?

Reply #6
I'm thinkin' another 5 psi would have blown the back off of it! My advice to others that want to check your CAC; let someone else do it!
jor

About 600 lbs of force pushin on that can, come to think...

Reply #7
Why do this test ?  What indication is there that may be reason to suspect a leak ?  I may have a problem and am not smart enough to know it.   Have a great day  ----  Fritz

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
potato and trigger and tailgaters would no longer be an issue.
Reminds me of the potato bazooka guns one of my kids used to make. Lots of fun blasting those babies into a brick wall.

Why do this test ? 
I guess if you were getting...

Reply #9
With no boost gauge, in many cases it is difficult to tell you have a problem until significant loss of power.  Don't know that I would do this as Preventive Maintenance, but if power issue or you are already under there working in the area, not...

• Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:40:31 am by wolfe10

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Visibly  check it first and is the boost power will not get up to specs you may have a leaking CAC. I had 4 good sized bolt holes from a loose fuel cooler rattling it for years before I bought it.  Massive difference after my fix. With the  help...

Reply #11
I only put about 15 lb of pressure on mine had a gauge in line and once air was off just watched gauge drop then started looking for holes. I'm hard hearing so listening for air leaks don't work.
Chris

Reply #12
Regarding CAC, I've heard mention of the desirability of adding a second cooler in series with the first.  This seems doable though it would take some piping.  What would be the advantage of adding a CAC?  Would it, in conjunction with some...

Reply #13
Chuck,

Not too difficult to do a TEST to see if your current CAC is adequate or if "more is better".

And, on newer/electronic engines, this data is available on Silverleaf, Scangauge D, etc

Need a temperature probe somewhere between CAC exit and...

Reply #14
Thank you Brett.  Sometimes I tend to overlook the basic first steps and this is good information.

Reply #15
Not knowing what is normal is a problem.  My m11 shows in the upper 20's at full revs up a grade. 27 or so 28 once.  Is that good?

Reply #16
Call Cummins with your engine serial number.  They should be able to look up max boost for your engine.

Cummins 800-286-6467

Reply #17
My cummins guy said 15 to 20 pounds under max load for a M-11
Chris

Reply #18
No, 27-29 are good numbers for an M-11.  15 to 20 is way low.