Skip to main content

Topic: 96 u295 propane tank (Read 384 times) previous topic - next topic

96 u295 propane tank
My guru buddy asked for our help for a Foretravel customer with a 96 U295 with propane furnaces.

Tank may be leaking and is full of oil that he thinks came from it's use in Mexico for four years.

Almost full width large tank.  Owner would be happy...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: 96 u295 propane tank
Reply #1
MOT took mine out. Was fine when removed. Check with Eric Barnes at MOT for price and availability

Reply #2
Any full service Propane dealer can empty, remove & install smaller tank. The only thing to keep in mind is if coach is every in cold weather requiring propane furnace almost continuous running, even the big tank will be appreciated and empty...

Reply #3
Water heater can also eat a large amount of propane depending on your habits, but a hot rod while plugged in and motor aide heater, can help.

Reply #4
one advantage to an aquahot, easy on propane!!!

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Bob. Mexican propane is not available as it is butane, and I have been using it for 8 yrs in my 295 and no issues. I fill up every year in Mexico as I do with diesel as I want the sulphur.
JohnH

Reply #6
Tim was it a big tank? Being as you have a u320 I assume it was the oem 19?

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
one advantage to an aquahot, easy on propane!!!

I filled up 2 yrs ago and still have  about a half tank..

Reply #8
The U320 LP tanks are 17 gallon tanks.  The U295 tanks are much bigger, maybe 42 gal.  I replaced my 17 gal tank with a 2.25 gallon (11 lb) tank. It runs my cook top for about 4 months.  I also have a spare.  I can run my grill and my fire pit...

Reply #9
An LP tank that has ever had any LP in it can be removed and emptied but to transport it using a public transport company requires a hazardous material carrier and all of the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
How does he know it's full of oil?

Reply #11
It squirted all over him

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
C Bob, find it hard to understand how it was FULL of oil,  or do you mean the piping drop was full of oil (which is its job to collect it there).
Your  Guru was silly to open the tank line up as that could cause trouble. There is a proper way to...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Sounds like at this point he is cheaper off just getting another tank.

Reply #14
Yes he is looking for a replacement as the coach came in with zero pressure.  He is assuming a leak

Reply #15
My buddy was impressed by Foretravel as they called him back and gave him complete info on where to buy a replacement if needed.  They are all electric and stock no propane tanks anymore.  He may dismount and drain it but the fluid smells strongly

Reply #16
5 years ago, we had a very interesting (at least to me) discussion about "propane oil" and the reports of finding it in motorhome tanks and lines.  In case any newbies are curious or interested in this arcane subject, here is the link:

No propane oil

Reply #17
Remember that this coach spent four  years in Mexico being refilled with butane from Mexican trucks. 

Reply #18
Thanks Chuck for reviving that old thread. I wonder if at different pressures or temperatures if that oil floats on top of the lpg and oil covered localized boiling nearest the lpg outlet launches oil particles that get sucked into the tank vapor...

Reply #19
Here is the photos of the same coach from late 2016 I posted