Skip to main content

Topic: Dash Air Compressor (Read 516 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Air Compressor
I need to replace the compressor. The label says R-12. Are replacements available or am I forced to convert to R-134? Do I have to specify what refrigerant when ordering the compressor?

Thanks,
Bob

Re: Dash Air Compressor
Reply #1
Bob,

R12 was phased out in 1995.  I would be very surprised if a 1997 coach had R12.

The good news is that the fittings for both high and low pressure are different between R12 and 134A.  That would be better indicator than a stick-on label or...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Reply #2
You would do well to go to a site such as Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum - Index page or Automotive Air Conditioning Information Server: Home and ask your questions. There are friendly experts there who can help guide you to which...

Reply #3
Where can I go to see what the fittings look like?

Reply #4
Bob,

Just google (or other search) for: fittings for R12 vs 134A.

I promise you, gauges for R12 will not fit on systems with 134A and visa versa.

The fittings/ports for high and low are different.

Reply #5
They are R-134A fittings. They have internal threads.
My high pressure hose to the condenser needs to be replaced. Is that an item available through a refrigeration supply house.

Reply #6
Speculation, as I have not replaced that hose, but can't imagine that there is anything unique about the fittings on Foretravels.

Take the hose off, seal off the open ends of the system to prevent moisture intrusion and take it to a good hose shop...

Reply #7
Thanks for the advice ^.^d

Bob

Reply #8
Any time the system is opened the refrigerant should be reclaimed, the receiver/dryer replaced and the system evacuated and recharged.

• Keith and Joyce
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
The decision has been made for you.  The price for the old gas - R12 - will make you gasp.  Convert and you will be OK.  134A does not seem to be as efficient as the old gas though.

Keith

Reply #10
But, to convert requires a very complete flush, as the lubricating oils are NOT compatible.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
That's why you see all those ads,"just needs freon".

Reply #12
Do your own research, but many people are using a hydrocarbon refrigerant (butane, propane, mix) to replace R-12.  Lots of discussions on this but could be worth your time. 
Get your popcorn ready.

Reply #13
You said you have
R134a fittings, and if you need a compressor and have a leaking hose you probably have no Freon in the system to worry about. Buy the correct compressor for your coach change the hose and the drier-filter evacuate and charge the...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
I would consider not fixing it but tell the buyer exactly what it needs,our 96 has r134 and cools good,if I were doing mine I would flush the lines and convert to r134.

Reply #15
They are R-134A fittings. They have internal threads.
My high pressure hose to the condenser needs to be replaced. Is that an item available through a refrigeration supply house.

Lots of...

Reply #16
Propane has the same cooling characteristics as R22.. lots of discussions on the use of propane ( it is not RV propane) and really cools . I have sued it to replace R12, R234A, ext... It is really cold,as is R22.... Let the controversy begin !

Reply #17
Have you ever see. The potential damage from propane instead of freon. Local radiator shop had a car in for ac issues. Some one had charged the system with propane. Luckily no one was in the car when the dash exploded.

Reply #18
Are PAG 10 or PAG 20 refrigerant oils still relevant in our coaches? New compressor came with PAG 150. Hard to tell how old the below information is.

Dash Air Conditioner Refrigerant and Oil Capacity

Reply #19
Bob,
You should always default to the compressor recommendations on oil specs. Being you are not sure what oil was currently used or how much residue oil is left in you system you may consider a system flush. Since I'm been in the refrigeration...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Willy, helped with mine and he got it up and running and still running cool... He was a great help.. ^.^d