Skip to main content
Topic: mobile aqua hot in Tucson (Read 1337 times) previous topic - next topic

mobile aqua hot in Tucson

my Aqua Hot started making strange sounds yesterday. When burning fuel it hums along. But when going through the cool down sequence. The motor makes more noise the closer it gets to shutting down.

was wondering about everyone's experience with the local authorized mobile AH service company. (Cameron's reliable maint)
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Re: mobile aqua hot in Tucson

Reply #1
my Aqua Hot started making strange sounds yesterday. When burning fuel it hums along. But when going through the cool down sequence. The motor makes more noise the closer it gets to shutting down.
It was doing that when you were parked next to us. I also smelled fuel. I thought that was normal, so I said nothing. Good luck!  ^.^d
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #2
It was doing that when you were parked next to us. I also smelled fuel. I thought that was normal, so I said nothing. Good luck!  ^.^d

I know it needed a routine service and planned on that while here in Tucson. But this sounds more serious.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #3
we had Ken Cameron and his wife work on our AH the day after we bought the coach. He's quite the character.....but knows his stuff. She knows as much too. You will be in good hands.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #4
If it keeps running on and off, it is the "brain box". Send Rudy a PM.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #6
If you need Aqua Hot service in Tucson, like Glenn, I recommend Cameron's Reliable Maintenance Mobile Service (520) 490-7632. Ken and Rachael do excellent work. They fixed my Aqua Hot several years ago. When Rachael emerged from the AH compartment she looked like a chimney sweep. That gal sets the bar pretty high.
jor

Reply #7
I agree to call Rudy, he recently helped me on the phone to diagnose and repair my problem which was a bad control box.  I ordered a rebuilt unit from Jim Frerichs and got it in a couple days.  There are also troubleshooting guides on Roger Berke's webpage:  RV Hydronic Heater Repair - Home
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #8
If it keeps running on and off, it is the "brain box". Send Rudy a PM.

What's odd is that while it's on the burn. It runs smooth and steady. It's only after the flame has gone out that the odd noises show up. It sounds as if a motor has a worn bearing and goes in & out of a wobble.

And after I had the unit fully rebuilt by Aqua Hot just 2.5-3 years ago. I noted and called Aqua Hot as well as RnR in Spokane telling them that I could feel a vibration through the floor and was much nosier when it runs than prior to the rebuild. I was told by both places "Oh that's normal, Don't worry about it."
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #9
bigdog that in my opinion is not normal, mine does not do that when it is cooling down. 
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #10
Bigdog,

I don't know if you are aware that the factory rebuilt units are the boiler only. Pumps and burner assemblies are tested, repaired where needed and reused. I replaced the blower bearings in my unit within five years. There is no way the bearings should have failed that soon if new.

Bob
The selected media item is not currently available.Bob & Faith Rozek
1997 U320 40'
Xtreme Remodel
2010 Scion XD

Reply #11
Bigdog,

I don't know if you are aware that the factory rebuilt units are the boiler only. Pumps and burner assemblies are tested, repaired where needed and reused. I replaced the blower bearings in my unit within five years. There is no way the bearings should have failed that soon if new.

Bob

Really!!! Bloody hell. For a $10k rebuild one ought to get WAY more than that. >:(  >:(  :thumbsdown:  I pray that it's something simple that can be repaired in place.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #12
This guy was in Phoenix two days ago, he's mobil and had just come from Quartzsite. He repaired a friends AH the same day. Lloyd told me that he had the parts inventory and if he couldn't fix it. It couldn't be fixed.    A pretty tall claim if you ask me but I'm sure he had plenty of business in the Q.

Lloyd DeGerald Services. 501-258-8426. Factory authorized service.  Hydro-Hot.  Oaisis.  Webasto. 
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #13
Rudy said the blower bearings last a long time until they fail.  We replaced mine a few weeks ago, the hardest part is getting the motor case off, a tight fit.  And you need an internal spring ring tool.  It pretty obvious if the motor is bad or it is the blower bearings.  There is also a plastic two part clutch in there that I replaced. 

There is a pre-ignition blower only cycle as well. Do you hear the same noise then as in theport burn purge cycle?

Reply #14
Rudy said the blower bearings last a long time until they fail.  We replaced mine a few weeks ago, the hardest part is getting the motor case off, a tight fit.  And you need an internal spring ring tool.  It pretty obvious if the motor is bad or it is the blower bearings.  There is also a plastic two part clutch in there that I replaced. 

There is a pre-ignition blower only cycle as well. Do you hear the same noise then as in theport burn purge cycle?
Roger. The odd sound only happens when the unit is going through it's shut down cycle. Upon starting the unit it sounds the same (rather noisy though) as the first time I used it after the rebuild.

Maybe I should have you and or any of the others at the park over to have a listen.

As it will be nice tomorrow. I'll turn off the AH when we leave for our hike and get hold of you/everyone that might want to listen when we return and start it up. (I have a bottle of Jameson's caskmates IPA edition as enticement)
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #15
A zillion years ago I briefly sold pools.  Part of the heaters design was to run the circulation motor after the heater flame shut off .
Stopped the banging noise when the water in the coils was boiling as the tubes were hot.

Called it a deadman's switch.  15 minute thing.

Is there such a thing in the aquahot.  Does the chamber and the coils get over the boiling point of the coolant?

If you shutoff the flame is the recirculating motor supposed to run on for a bit.

Ot both shut off at the same time?  Mine seems to run a bit after the flame turns off but maybe not.
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #16
The motor will run for a minute or 2 after the burner shuts off to cool off the combustion chamber.  The motor sound may change since it doesn't have the load of the fuel pump, also with less load you may hear a chatter from the clutches.
Can you post a video or just the sound recording?
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #17
The motor sound may change since it doesn't have the load of the fuel pump, also with less load you may hear a chatter from the clutches.

Your unit must be different than ours.  Our older unit the fuel pump is direct drive and the flow and pressure is the same no matter if the fuel valve is open or closed.  When our fuel valve opens it flows a small amount of fuel to the nozzle to burn and the rest is bypassed back to the fuel tank.  When our fuel valve is closed all flow is just returned to the fuel tank.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #18
The motor will run for a minute or 2 after the burner shuts off to cool off the combustion chamber.  The motor sound may change since it doesn't have the load of the fuel pump, also with less load you may hear a chatter from the clutches.
Can you post a video or just the sound recording?

Something in ours has changed.  In that the sound has suddenly changed from how it has been while operating in the past. All ours has done in the past is to continue to spin and the jet exhaust sound goes away and the motor hums away for 2-4 minutes. The odd varying pitch sounds that have cropped up, starts a minute after the flame goes out. Then gets worse as time goes on till the motor shuts off

As it needs a tune up anyways.  I made an appointment with Cameron's and they will stop by on Thursday to have a look.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #19
It was not that bad when you were here, but I heard the same sound (quieter) when I was in my chair close to your coach.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #20
If the noise is just a varying pitch, as it the motor speed is changing then check geound wires at the post on the AH and the power connections. If there is a loose connection somewhere voltage may vary a bit causing motor spreed to change.

Reply #21
Prognosis isn't good on my Aqua-Hot (AHE-100-02S)

Cameron from Cameron's Maint. as well as Rudy both say that the "brain Box" isn't so brainy anymore. It's starting to fail but still works at the mo. Fortunately my AH has the preferred old style silver box. So I'll order a rebuilt silver box from Rudy & have Cameron install it as well as do a tune up and check the bearings/clutch.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #22
The price of a rebuilt silver box is extreme, to say the least. Of course,  they no longer make the silver version. You can buy a new " black" box, not made in Germany, and then take your chances that it will work properly. I am disappointed that Westbasco decided to stop making replacements. Wish there was a more reasonably priced unit available as OEM. Get the checkbook out.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #23
The price of a rebuilt silver box is extreme, to say the least. Of course,  they no longer make the silver version. You can buy a new " black" box, not made in Germany, and then take your chances that it will work properly. I am disappointed that Westbasco decided to stop making replacements. Wish there was a more reasonably priced unit available as OEM. Get the checkbook out.

If I'm remembering correctly. With my core of the old silver box, Rudy said a rebuilt silver box from him is about $550. A plastic OEM is $1087. So it's actually 50% cheaper than the cheap Chinese (I assume it's Chinese) knock off.
USAF 1975-1995
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #24
A rebuilt silver box is less than half the price of the previously available new one. You might look online or in the ForeForums classifieds.

Jim

2002 U320 42'
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'