Skip to main content
Topic: Exercise your systems (Read 1888 times) previous topic - next topic

Exercise your systems

Was in the coach tonight, listening to some music. Played with the controls on the roof mounted search light. At first it was very slow and had a limited range of motion. Let it rest to cool. not to burn out the motors. The more i worked it, the better it got.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Re: Exercise your systems

Reply #1
Like they say, if you don't use it, you will lose it.
1995 U320 40', 2013 chevy sonic toad, my real love are corvettes have owned 30

Reply #2
I owned the coach 3 years before I realized the searchlight worked  :headwall:  Found out when we got back from Branson. Haven't had a chance to try it at night to see what it looks like, but the wife ran it through it's paces up, down, side-side. Was amazed that it still worked at 22 yrs old. (Hard to find a 22 yr old that wants to work)

Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #3
I vaguely remember the roof spotlights were two speeds on the swing?  Maybe?
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #4
Here's what the spotlight looks like inside. Not much to it.
jor

Reply #5
Our 97 did not have one so I added a HID aftermarket one

Here is the link.

https://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-1986-hid-golight-stryker-30001-35-watts-3000-lumen-wireless-remote-control-white-spot-beam.aspx

Turning it backwards made the wind noise from it go away.

Remote is fun
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #6
I posted a spotlight "Tune Up" thread a while back - contains a bit more info, if anyone is curious how they work:

RAY-LINE Roof-Mounted Spotlight, Repair of
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #7
After 30 years mine might need the wasp nests cleaned out and some new grease also.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #8
Those spot lights are great !!  Can't use them though unless you're out in the desert or some place with a lot of space.  In close they blind every thing around.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #9
Driving at night in remote forest areas with straight roads I used to point the roof spotlight a few hundred yards ahead of our coach along the roads edge.  Stopped people from bolting onto the highway in front of us and froze the deer versus have them jump out onto the highway
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #10
Very handy safety feature in adverse conditions that can happen despite prudent planning. I think mine is a really bright aircraft landing light.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #11
I had one on my last RV, not the current 295.  I miss having it.  I too used it as Bob in th country.  It was very handy when pulling in at night or for reading some road signs.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #12
If your coach doesn't have a factory spotlight, or if the OEM light is broken and deemed not repairable, then there are some (possibly) good deals to be had at the GOLIGHT factory outlet store.  They list several of their more popular "clearance/reconditioned" models at a very nice discount.  For instance, the HID model mentioned by Bob (Reply #5 above) is available for about $200 below the "new" online price.

Since most of the models now utilize wireless remote controls, installation should be fairly simple, especially when replacing a existing light.

I have not ordered one of these reconditioned lights, so I don't know what kind of shape they are in.  They come with a 1-year factory warrantee, and GOLIGHT customer support gets good reviews online.  Seems like a pretty safe bet to me!

Clearance/Reconditioned Archives - GOLIGHT

Reply #13
Talked myself into buying a refurb spotlight (see post above) to replace my OEM light.  I picked the white Model 20004 (LED + hand-held remote) because I'm pretty sure the mounting bracket will cover the holes where the old light now sits.  I'll report back here on condition and performance after it arrives and I get it mounted.

Golight / RadioRay LED - GOLIGHTGOLIGHT

Reply #14
My spotlight leaked.  The water proofing on it isn't very good.  I used a lot of polyurethane caulk on it and now I doubt I'll even be able to disassemble it without breaking it ;)  No leaks though

Reply #15
Got my "reconditioned" spotlight from GOLIGHT (see Reply #13).  It arrived in the factory box in perfect condition.  Cosmetically, it is without flaw.  I can see zero evidence that this light was ever even unpacked, much less used.  I think it would be impossible to distinguish from a new one.  Of course, I haven't powered it up yet, so how it works remains to be seen (literally).

When you pick it up, the squat case is surprisingly heavy.  Since the outside housing is plastic, the weight must be from the innards.  The LED lens assembly is surrounded by a substantial finned black aluminum heatsink which looks very impressive.  I doubt overheating will ever be a problem.

Golight/RadioRay LED Retrofit - GOLIGHT

I'm waiting for decent weather (warm temps + light winds) to get up on the roof and do the installation.  Stand by for my next riveting report.

Reply #16
Nice Chuck, can't wait. Couldn't tell from the pictures, but I assume that it pivots as well as swivels?

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #17
Couldn't tell from the pictures, but I assume that it pivots as well as swivels?
Correct.  370° Rotation x 135° Tilt.  Here's the specs:

http://golight.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Golight-RadioRay-LED-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Reply #18
Thanks Chuck. Mine was still working when she went into storage, so I expect it to be okay, but you never know when something will quit. I will keep this reference. Keep us informed.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #19
The hid light i mentioned is really bright.  You can read a book in its beam at a mile away. 
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
2007 Solara convertible

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430

Reply #20
Had a couple nice days - got the new spotlight installed.  Pretty simple job.  Cut the wire harness near the switch mounted above the driver seat, Taped my new power cord to the cut end of harness.  Removed three bolts holding old light and lifted it up, pulling the new power cord through the roof hole as the old harness cable pulled out.  Cleaned up the old caulking, and set the new mounting gasket in place for a trial fit.  Turns out 2 of the old light's mounting holes lined up with the new gasket, so I only had to drill 2 new holes.  The new light covers the "shadow" from the old light completely.  Connected the power cord, screwed the new light down, put a bead of clear silicone around the base.

Inside, I already had both a BAT (always hot) and a IGN (hot with key on) power source in the upper cabinets (above windshield) from previous projects.  Simply connected the power cord to BAT source, and the new light was operational.

I really like the GoLight.  It is extremely bright, and has a very nice clearly defined round beam pattern.  The hand-held remote is very cool, and works perfectly.  Fun to stand outside the coach and direct the light.  I took a few photos trying to compare the old light to the new one.
My camera doesn't do well at conveying the impressive performance of the light, but here is what I got:

1.  First 2 photos show old and new spots on the driveway about 20' in front of coach (looking through windshield from driver seat).
2.  Next 2 photos show front of coach with my DRL lights on and old and new spotlights on.  LED is noticeably whiter light.
3.  Next photo shows the beam pattern on the side of our next door neighbor's house.
4.  Last two photos show a storage barn across the street from our house during the day, and same barn illuminated by spotlight at night. 
    (Barn is about 100 yards in front of coach)

Reply #21
Some shots of light mounted on roof.  I like the appearance - similar to the old one, but more modern and high tech looking IMO.

Reply #22
That's an awesome advantage I think, to have a remote control spotlight that the copilot can operate based on verbal commands when your very busy negotiating a tight course or adverse conditions. Nuff said maybe. Very versatile to say the least.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO

Reply #23
Very nice. May not wait for the old one to go the way of the dodo.
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #24
That looks great. Love the remote control function. The original has a fistful of wires.
jor