Skip to main content

Topic: Dodged a bullet today (Read 897 times) previous topic - next topic

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Dodged a bullet today
Traveling home today from Kerrville on I-10 Mother Nature called so we pulled rest area, I decided to get out and stretch my legs and do a walk around just to check on things after about 80 miles,,, something I do but not often enough. The first...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Dodged a bullet today
Reply #1
Love my Toyo's, have them all around...........Good job on the save
Chris

Reply #2
Did he happen to say what he thought caused the rupture?........I like my Toyos also.

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
He had no idea since there were no marks like I had curbed it.. it looked like new

Reply #4
Thanks for the heads up!  I'll keep a close eye on our RS20 tires, which are only a little "younger" than yours.  So far they have performed flawlessly, and we have been pleased with our choice.

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Mine had been great until today, glad they made the 125 miles to the tire store.. I was nervous an a cat on a hot tin roof...

Reply #6
Good eye Keith!
Scary.

Reply #7
Any idea why it failed?

Reply #8
Good reason to always buy a Drumstick and slowly wander around your stuff. Good catch.

• Moby
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
Not to stir up a nest of something,  but I have to ask.
What made you decide to continue driving on that?
Were it me,  I would have called for roadside assistance.

Reply #10
Rare failure.  My understanding is that all these kind of tires are individually tested at double pressure under overload loads at way over the rated speed.

Reply #11
Not to stir up a nest of something,  but I have to ask.
What made you decide to continue driving on that?
Were it me,  I would have called for roadside assistance.

My thoughts also, I've had...

Reply #12
Just to make myself feel better, I'd sure send this pic to Uniroyal with the age & mileage. I'd say it was a factory defect. Yes, you're prolly out of warranty, but if that's a bad batch, other owners should be warned.

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #13
Stupidity and when I started out thought I would be able to buy one to replace the uniroyal I had which a lot of people don't carry and  the place I was going carried them. Unfortunately they were out until Friday or Saturday so I ended up having...

Reply #14
Carrying a spare tire solves most all the problems. If you don't want to change it, road service will. I don't move the coach without the spare in the compartment. Also, a good reason for 295/75s. Everyone carries this size. Nothing wrong with...

Reply #15
Carrying a spare tire solves most all the problems. If you don't want to change it, road service will. I don't move the coach without the spare in the compartment.
Where do you...

Reply #16
In our 36 foot U300, our mounted spare is just inside the driver's side compartment. It's the only storage compartment on our coach. Lots of storage down inside the tire so not all lost. As you slide the wheel out, it drops down on one side...

• Keith and Joyce
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
It only takes one pothole....

Keith

Reply #18
Just to make myself feel better, I'd sure send this pic to Uniroyal with the age & mileage. I'd say it was a factory defect. Yes, you're probably out of warranty, but if that's a bad batch,...

Reply #19
Our air jack is stored inside a kitty litter container. An air reel brings coach air to any one of the corners. Even if you don't change it yourself, it makes it easy for road...

Reply #20
Mike,

The air jack comes from Harbor Freight and costs about $90 to $120 but is frequently on sale for much less. It works with air or you can use it manually. I purchased a couple. It really needs a plate from the jack to the frame of the coach...

• stump
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
If you had a puncture you did not see air can then get in between the belt layers and separate them causing the bubble. Then blowout. Pretrip and posttrip inspection

Reply #22
A sweet set set-up! Thanks, Pierce.  ^.^d

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
--FOLLOW UP--

Took the tire to Herman Power Tire in nac, By chance the Michelin rep was there, talked to him personally.. He as I expected had an excuse for this and an answer for that but finally admitted a defect was possible and would give me...