Skip to main content
Topic: HWH Leveling system question (Read 1009 times) previous topic - next topic

HWH Leveling system question

Recently, my HWH system has been acting up.  For a while, when trying to raise the left side, it would not raise the front and back evenly.  I don't remember which end didn't move.

A couple of days ago when trying to level, I raised the back, which worked, but when I released the raise button, the left rear air bags released air and dropped lower to rest on the tires.  Does anyone have an idea why all the air was released from the left rear?  The current problem is not a slow leak, but is fast like a dump button was pressed.

I rebuilt both six pack manifolds a couple of years ago. 

Thanks in advance.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Re: HWH Leveling system question

Reply #1
No idea but at the end of last year I sent my control box to HWH and received it in about 10 days, cost $75.00 + shipping.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #2
My rear 6 pack manifold delaminated and cracked down the middle due to age. Ouch. $600 for the part and they had to mill  one for me. Installation next week weather permitting. I was losing air in the back. In cold temps It would lose all air and the coach would settle on the rear tires. Warm weather it's fine.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #3
when I released the raise button, the left rear air bags released air and dropped lower to rest on the tires.  Does anyone have an idea why all the air was released from the left rear?  The current problem is not a slow leak, but is fast like a dump button was pressed.
Steve,

This sounds like either you have an air line with a cut in it, a fitting that has a crack, or  you have some trash that has somehow gotten under the seat of one of your dump valves. There is a slight chance that you have broken a spring in one of the valves on the 6 pack thus not causing the valve to close completely when you release the button.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #5
Would a bad solenoid cause the problem I am having?  I know some of the solenoids were looking a little rough when I rebuilt the manifolds.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #6
Steve,

If you are referring to the coil when you say " solenoids were looking a little rough" then no I don't think so. The coil energizes and this causes the valve to open. If the coil is bad then it wouldn't open the valve.
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #7
Steve,

If you are referring to the coil when you say " solenoids were looking a little rough" then no I don't think so. The coil energizes and this causes the valve to open. If the coil is bad then it wouldn't open the valve.
Mike

Yes, Mike that is what I was thinking.  Wrongly I guess. 

I need to do a little more diagnostics and see under what conditions  it is holding air.  It was holding air when we were driving.

Could it be defaulting to travel mode on just one corner?  I will test tomorrow  and see what is happening under different conditions.

Thanks all.
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #8
I need to do a little more diagnostics and see under what conditions  it is holding air. 
Could it be defaulting to travel mode on just one corner? 
I will test tomorrow  and see what is happening under different conditions.

1. That would be the thing to do and get more info so better troubleshooting can happen
2. If it was going into travel it wouldn't be setting down on the tire unless the ride height valve has broken/died,  which is possible
The linkage could have gotten bent or came loose  so check that too
3. Keep us updated as the more info the better
Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #9
An easy way to test if the coil is working is to hold a piece of iron, screwdriver, etc. to the end of the coil while pressing the button.  The coil is an electro magnet and when energized will magnetize to pull the shaft open.  If it doesn't then the coil is probably bad. 
Easy way to mark each coil/solenoid for troubleshooting also.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #10
An easy way to test if the coil is working is to hold a piece of iron, screwdriver, etc. to the end of the coil while pressing the button.  . . .

Don't energize the coil off of the solenoid.  Unless you want to be sure the coil is bad.  BTDT.  You need the iron in the coil or it will pull too much current.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #11
My level system continues to be problematic.  It has happened frequently enough that I can better describe to problem

When attempting to manually leveling my coach, the air releases air or fills for 5 -10 seconds and then it returns to travel mode and counters whichever operation that was attempted. ie after releasing air on driver side for a few seconds, the system flashes "out of level" and starts filling air bags.  If I try to fill the bags the air will be released.

so far I have been able to level but I might have to try several times.

is this the controller causing the problem? 
1998 U320 40'
2005 GMC Yukon
MC# 17609

Reply #12
When attempting to manually leveling my coach, the air releases air or fills for 5 -10 seconds and then it returns to travel mode and counters whichever operation that was attempted.

This is sounding more like there is a problem with either the push pad having a sticking button or the ribbon cable (this runs between the push pad and the control box) is frayed causing a false signal to be sent to the control box. Seems like if the cable was loose where it plugs into the pad you wouldn't be able to do what controlling you are able to do, but check and clean the cable connection anyway to be sure you are making good connections.  It could be a problem with the control box with a bad/broken solder joint but with your description of going back into travel mode I would look close at the push pad first. 

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

Reply #13
Instead of guessing (or asking other people to guess) what the problem is, you might try running through the trouble shooting steps in your HWH Leveling System Service Manual.  Doing so can be very helpful in pinning down the faulty component.

Don't have a Service Manual?  It is available online.  Here is link to 600 Series manual:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml11148.pdf
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."