Skip to main content

Topic: Likely air leak locations  (Read 1403 times) previous topic - next topic

The Soft Boulders and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Likely air leak locations
The air pressure on our 93 GV goes from full to empty in about an hour after killing the engine.  We just spent 3 weeks at MOT having several things repaired, the air leak was supposed to be one of them. The air bags do hold air much better than...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Likely air leak locations
Reply #1
Kiddie bubbles are your friend.

That size leak should be easy to find.

Yes, it could be several smaller leaks, but if it bubbles it is bad.

Reply #2
Do you have a step cover?  The control  under our steps started leaking bad on a trip.

Reply #3
That's what I thought as well.  I figured that a leak that substantial could be heard and have spayed a lot of what I can access easily with soap and water but with no luck.  I will continue the search! Haha

Reply #4
We do have an air controlled step and I have not checked it!  That will be the next place I check!  Thank you :)

Reply #5
We do have an air controlled step and I have not checked it!  That will be the next place I check!  Thank you :)
It might only leak when closed, open, or both. So check both 

Reply #6
Tyler,

Here is a link to the info you need for the treadle valve leak you are talking about. Williams Controls WM453109 Air Throttle Valve

You could have the check valves or related piping on your air tanks leaking air back into the air dryer. Here...

Reply #7
I like this stuff for leak detection. 
Amazon.com: Snoop Leak 8OZ-SNOOP Snoop Leak Detector, 8 oz.: Industrial &...

It is a never ending quest.  Kind of a game we all play.  Sooner or later you get the really big ones and then get used to the...

• Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 01:54:35 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

Reply #8
I use this for air and refrigerant leaks, bid blue

Reply #9
Tyler,

Those threads that Pam/Mike linked (above) have some good info in them.  I have been poking around my air system for 5 years looking for leaks.  I still haven't found all of them.  Like most members, I've got our coach to where I can live...

• Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 09:43:46 am by Chuck & Jeannie

Reply #10
Thanks so much to everyone for the responses!  I hate to admit it but I'm really out of my element with this coach.  Things continue to go wrong at such a pace that I cant keep up.  Add on  top of that my lack of knowledge and not having a place...

Reply #11
I know it seems overwhelming at first, but you will work through it.  I had absolutely zero knowledge of a diesel motorhome with air brakes when we bought ours.  Had to learn it all 100% from scratch.  This Forum helps a lot.  For any question...

Reply #12
Chasing air leaks is ongoing project. Look at it as a regular maintenance issue.

Reply #13
I'm like Chuck, when I first started researching motorhomes, I couldn't even spell diesel let alone know what other systems would be involved. Have I felt overwhelmed? Yes many times. But with the help of this forum and its search capacity, the...

Reply #14
Tho it seems like a slight hiss, the throttle leak may be enough to dump that much.  My park brake hisses ever so slightly and when it does the tank drops quickly.
 Chasing air loss should be considered a hobby , eternal  job.etc.  IMHO 

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #15
On the throttle make sure you check all the air line connections.
Cylinders for the air step check the shafts that come out of cylinder for O ring leaks.
Tank check valves, all of them can cause leak back and I have replaced all 3 of them.
I found...

Reply #16
My wife absolutely loves our Foretravel and can't wait to move in full time. I, on the other hand, am often overwhelmed by it. Were it not for this forum I would have bailed. On the other hand, drove back from Albuquerque last month in horrible...

Reply #17
Lots of little ones add up. Be patient!

Everyone is right, step is the 1st one. many tech's miss that one.

Reply #18
Went ahead and ordered the throttle rebuild kit chuck linked in his post.  It was really dumping the air while using the throttle and has me concerned for safety.  I also noticed for the first time that there are two needles on our air gauge. ...

Reply #19
My wife and I love the coach but at the same time i have to beware of the law of diminishing returns, as there are issues with it that are beyond the reasonable possibility of repair.  That is the greatest source of my anxiety.   It's a fine line...

Reply #20
  I also noticed for the first time that there are two needles on our air gauge.  The white needle is perfectly aligned with the red as to make it nearly invisible.  I'm not sure if the...

Reply #21
The white needle is perfectly aligned with the red as to make it nearly invisible.  I'm not sure if the gauge is broken or if something else is going on but the two have never separated...

Reply #22
Testing components of the coach air system can be fairly simple.  To do so, it is most helpful to have the air system schematic for your coach.  Without it, working on the system is very difficult.  Try this test to check some of the important...

• Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:25:56 pm by Chuck & Jeannie

Reply #23
I found the schematic and parts list with the treadle valve on it. 

Reply #24
That air diagram is very helpful.  See the numbers on the air lines?  There are paper labels taped to all the OEM air lines - use them to help you find and identify the other valves and components.  The physical location of things on the coach do...