Skip to main content
Topic: Level Alarm (Read 703 times) previous topic - next topic

Level Alarm

We left Guadalajara this morning. Yeah. Two issues occurred that concern me, and I can us your help :

1)
when I turned the key to deflate the bladder, the yellow light came on. I always visually check to see if the  bladder fully deflates, BEFORE I retract. Glad I did. The bladder DID NOT deflate???!!! I went underneath and heard ari coming out of a metal box?? Tried again and it functioned. Any ideas?

MORE IMPORTANTLY:
2) When I was ready to drive away, the level system light AND the hateful bell, stayed on. The travel light was on, and the airbags seemed correct. The Level System light  and the dinging bell stayed on for the whole trip. Played the radio REAL loud. Even as I leveled it up at the new campsite, it still stayed lit and dinged. It's going to be a REAL long trip back to Nac this May, if I can't remedy this. Any ideas ?? Please!!! Thanks
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Re: Level Alarm

Reply #1
Sounds like you have a room in sensor or lock pin sensor that is indicating it is not in the correct position.  You can check that with the led lights on the HWH boxes in the basement.  PM me your personal email address and I'll send you my copy of the HWH manual if you need it.  Our build numbers are pretty close.  You may find it already posted on a previous thread.

You can open the dash and disconnect the dinger.  It is usually a small, two wire device that looks a lot like a 35mm film canister. The dinger works for many things, so you will lose your turn signal dings, antenna dings, check and stop engine dings. I have installed a disable switch on the dash so I don't have to open it up if it needs to be silenced.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #2
I would think that you would normally not be able to go into travel mode if the system senses the room is not in and locked.  But that can be overridden on the HWH box in the basement.  Someone may have turned on the override switch in the past and not reset it and hence you were able to travel.  On mine, it looks like a small round knurled black button labeled 120V/240V.  It is located on the side of the box.  You use a small screwdriver to turn it from one position to the other.  The manual will tell you which position is which.

Hope this helps,

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #3

Glen, the thing that dings in under the dash to the lft of the steering column.  Cylindrical thing about 1-1/4 diam and the same length.  Cut or disconnect the red wire or add a switch to turn it on or off.  Carefully pry up the bottom edge of the dash hump and the move it towards the windshield.  The top edge will come loose.  There is a defrost vent on the left end. A set of plastic automotive panel tools helps but the flat end of a spoon works too. Work carefully.

Amazon.com: 4pcs Auto Car Radio Door Clip Panel Trim Dash Audio Removal...

In the big bay on the drivers side you should find an aluminum box on the ceiling.  Carefully remove the cover, don't lose the screws.  In one of the corners inside is a toggle switch.  That overrides the transmission lock out. If you were able to drive then that is not needed but good to know about.

The level system light will be on and the dinger dinging for several reasons. Not at ride height, insufficient pressure sensed at the six pack controls, the auto level is still on and probably another that I am not thinking of now.

Bladder deflates.  Make sure your compressor is running and/or the small HWH tank is charged.  When you switch the key to delate air comes from the tank and the compressor to a manifold on the inside of the under slide carpet covered truss towards the rear of the big bay on the dr side.  Air escaping causes a low pressure through a Venturi which sucks air out of the bladder.  If there isn't enough air moving or the deflate solenoid is stuck then the bladder doesn't deflate.  If you turned the key off, waited and turned it back on and th bladder deflated then probably you were short on air.

I added a pressure gauge to show pressure in the bladder. Inflated it shows about 12 psi and will hold for weeks.  Another shows air pressure in the HWH tank.

Best practice on any slide (good job by the way) verify that the bladder is deflated.  Closing a slide with an undelfated or under deflated bladder is almost surely going to damage it.

After 2001 the yellow light shows that a certain vacuum level was achieved.  2001 and earlier it is just on a timer.  The 2002 controls are quite different than the 2001.

Reply #4
Thanks, guys. VERY helpful.I had plenty of air when this happened. I know about the slide override switch. I'll have Keith give it the once over in May.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #5
Glenn

Anytime you have a slide issue. First things first. Cycle slide in and out 1 or 2 more times. Often will clear issue
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #6
will do, Tim. Thanks
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #7
I had this same issue with the Level Alarm. The Limit Switch box in the basement was implying that my upper rear slide lock was not engaged. Visually it looked like to me that the slide lock pin was working fine, so I swapped the slide lock position sensors between the upper rear lock and the upper front lock. After cycling the slide, the Limit Switch box implied that the upper front lock was not engaged. This lead me to point to the sensor as my issue, so I called up HWH and ordered one. I put it in and now all is good!
2000 U320 4010 WTFE #5609
2017 Ford Explorer toad
Current RVSA Certified RV Technician
Previous 2001 Forest River Windsong 340

Reply #8
Where is the limit switch box and what does it look like?? Thanks
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #9
X 2 on what Tim stated.  I found out tht I wasn't holding the retract button down long enough so that the locks could fully engaged. Now I wait for the yellow light to go out and hold it for a couple more seconds.  I also listen for the locks to engage after it comes in. 
Bruce & Teresa
2000 U320 4010
2015 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #10
Glenn, look on the ceiling of the big bay on the driver's side.  There are lights on it that will indicate success or not.

Reply #11
Roger, If I understand what you sent to me ( I think two items didn't download?), then next time I pull the slide in, I should go underneath and look at the status lights ?? I'm just a LITTLE confused as to the process. I always hold the retract button until I hear them engage. I also had to disconnect the alarm....thanks for helping me identify it. I will put a switch on it...just incase...... Thanks.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT