Skip to main content

Topic: What am I looking at (Read 905 times) previous topic - next topic

What am I looking at
Started the Amsolar install today by mounting 5 panels. During the planning for mounting the Victron charger this caught my attention and I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking at. Can someone please educate me and can the charger be mounted in...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: What am I looking at
Reply #1
It is a small air compressor. What year and model coach?  That size compressor was generally used prior to 2002.

Reply #2
2001 U270
Seems like a lot of wasted space for a small compressor. Maybe I can make use of the space with the Victron charger.

Reply #3
That compressor supplies pressurized air to maintain coach level when you are parked.  If you have a slide it provides air for inflating and deflating the bladder.

Best place for an inverter/charger is close to the batteries but generally not in...

Reply #4
Unless you have a sealed inverter/charger like specific outback units normal inverters cannot be in a space with the batteries.

Except for sealed units normal inverters are not non spark made or certified.  Boom.

From the late 2018 Victron manual

Reply #5
Yes, in adjacent/close proximity to the batteries, not in the same compartment.

Reply #6
Thanks Gentlemen
AMSolar recommended I use my existing ProSine inverter and supplied me with a Victron 150/85 MPPT charge controller and battery monitor. The adventure begins

Reply #7
Your Prosine from 2001 has a limited life expectancy at this age.  Sooner or later you will have to replace it.
  • Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:18:56 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

Reply #8
Prosine is not fixable as far as I remember.  No parts

Reply #9
Thanks Gentlemen
AMSolar recommended I use my existing ProSine inverter...
Since AM Solar is a authorized reseller/installer of Victron and Magnum inverter/chargers (two highly regarded brands), I...

Reply #10
Not sure why AmSolar did not recommend, however budget is not a factor and I have no objection to replacing the Prosine (except more to learn). I assume I would no longer need the Victron charger but exchange it for the charger/inverter.

Reply #11
Without knowing the specifics of your installation, it is hard to say what is best.  Although I am sure the Victron charger is a quality piece of hardware, it would also be redundant alongside a modern inverter/charger.  Lots of factors to...

Reply #12
When my old Prosine quit I took it to a service shop where they told me it wasn't repairable and was basically a throw-away.

Reply #13
I have no objection to replacing the Prosine (except more to learn).
I would not worry about having more to learn.  Any equipment installed at AM Solar will be properly programmed before you drive...

Reply #14
Chuck
They did inform me about the tax credit.
Unfortunately I do have a lot to learn sense I'm tackling the install myself ;) . This morning I asked about replacing the Prosine inverter and waiting for their reply. I must say, they have been very...

Reply #15
Greg,

Doing it yourself - you are a braver man than I, and I salute you!  ^.^d

We have a number of Forum members who have installed fresh electrical and solar systems by themselves.  These range from very basic, to very sophisticated and complicated. ...

Reply #16
Greg, many of us have done this ourselves.
A Second House Battery Bank, Solar Panels, 2 New Inverters
Please feel free to send me a message, email or call if I can help.

Reply #17
If you are considering upgrading your inverter the two mentioned units will work well.

The Victron is 2,400 watts continuous ar 77 degrees and the Magnum 2812 is 3,000 watts.

50 amp pass through versus 60 amp pass through.

Victron is certified to...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18

I am seeing limited service for the Victron here in the USA. 

Maybe it is because we ( the ones that have the units have not had any issues to warrant a call)? Not sure how you qualify this...

• Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:51:08 pm by John S

Reply #19
Well, Once again CaFlashBob is just not correct here, using misinformation to support his well established bias.

Read and understand the user manuals and specifications for both if you want to know the facts.
Inverter Replacement

The Magnum MS2812...

• Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:22:56 am by Roger & Susan in Home2

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Maybe it is because we ( the ones that have the units have not had any issues to warrant a call)? Not sure how you qualify this statement. You dont own one or anything Victron.. As much as you are...

Reply #21
As we travel with pets I wanted auto gen start from temp input.  Hot or cold.  If the thermostat calls for heat or cold I want the gen to be auto on if needed.

Requires a board change and the ten button CCC.

Not much room to mount the physically...

Reply #22
I am not surprised to see such brand preferences.  I was told by rv mfg in Oregon that when Trace sold the same people had a 5 yr non compete clause and started Xantrex, same folks sold Xantrex sold Xantrex w/ 5yr clause and then started Magnum,...

Reply #23
Jack
Thanks for the comment and the reasonable, common sense approach. If only our senators and congressman could take your advice they may actually get something done.
Greg

Reply #24
To mount it on a wall with the DC connections down you need an MMP250-30D panel for $580 more.

That's not so Roger. 
According to my MS2812 manual you can also use a Magnum ME-CB...