Skip to main content

Topic: Battery advice (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery advice
Been high of 30 low in the teens for a week.
This is the gv320 unit from Austin that sat for  5 yrs, overall I've been very satisfied with it and we have been busy sprucing it up. Just purchased unit in January and they had replaced the starting...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Battery advice
Reply #1
Cranking AMPS are a little low.. but before you do the change the batteries. Check all connections at the battery and the starter and make sure they are clean and tight.

THought the motor needed 2k in CCAMPS? could be wrong

Reply #2
I am using Red-Tops with an Optima charger on inside the coach and run the wires under the bed to the batteries. 5 years never a problem. Mounted under the bed skirt on the bed sidewall. 
John

Reply #3
You might want to check and see how many Amps the starter is drawing. It may be getting old and drawing too much.
Someone will know how much is normal.
If can't start at all, start generator and run for few minutes with batteries bridged, then try...

Reply #4
The thing about lead acid batteries of any type is that they loose capacity with age.  If it was 600 cca new, it may only be 400 cca after a few years..  The voltage may show normal up until it dies.  Most of the auto parts stores will test your...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Auto Zone batteries are not that bad,if there too small it's not the batteries fault,you should have one of the "pulse" chargers and
try and get the batteries back to specs,check the connections like the above suggests.

Reply #6
Truck/high amp hr start batteries are just fine.

Freightliner often runs specials on their start batteries.

http://images.ebizautos.com/sites/12153/pages/USA_PARTS_PRINT_JF2019.pdf?_ga=2.167027902.1664034545.1552146333-1218270953.1552146333

Reply #7
Most 320's came with optima red tops, 800 CCA each.  Engine requires 2,000 as was posted.

Lots of more than ten year life's posted here with the red tops.  The key is to never deep discharge them.

A single deep discharge can damage any non gel...

Reply #8
No reason to spend high dollars on batteries that don't last any longer than Autozone Duralasts. Our 24 series lasted about 10 years and our new Duralast 31 series have 2800 CCA and cost $300 for all three. Ask for discount when buying three as...

Reply #9
The engine compartment location subjects the later  U series unicoaches to much more vibrations than the inherently smoother v engines used in the Unihomes,

The higher torque rated in line six cylinder engines need the strongest burst of power...

Reply #10
Bob,

No, straight 6 diesels are smoother than V-8 diesels (or gas). While the longer crankshaft does limit RPM in comparison to a V8 it generates much less secondary vibration.

The smooth V engine you speak of in a Unihome is the 2 cycle Detroit...

Reply #11
Off the topic, in-line engines, diesel in a truck or motor home , produce more torque at low RPM. Much better for starting out with a heavy load . V engines produce their horsepower at high RPM..we use torque in motor home, the higher the torque,...

Reply #12
Even when plugged in with battery charger keeping house batteries under a charge, there may be no charge on start batteries, causing them to run down over time.

Measure battery bank voltage to determine if that is the main problem.

No reason to...

Reply #13
I may not have made it clear in the 1st post but I did have a maintenance charge on the starting batteries and switched it to a full charge and it still took 36hrs before it would finally start. I also had the coach plugged into 30amp at my...

Reply #14
I replaced my 3 red tops years ago with COSTCO (Interstate) wet cells. Never a problem.
With the COSTCO warranty I will probably never have to pay again for batteries. With about 3000 cold cranking amps even if they diminish there is still plenty...

Reply #15
Being sort of a prepper and a remote drycamper a shorted cell in any flooded cell battery is a non starter.  No pun intended.

It happened to us long ago.  And the old diesel coaches two house batteries which were down on SOC. Would not winter...

Reply #16
Bob,

I'm assuming you have the  CELECT or  CELECT plus electronic engine. Your M11 should idle smoothly, if not, use a reader/programmer to test the injectors. If they are all close, improper valve clearance can cause a rough idle. Idle setting...

Reply #17
Thanks for the info

I  posted a general comment about vibes.  My m11 has had the rack run and everything checked. Had a bad cam position sensor that has been upgraded to the newer design. That caused an slightly erratic idle six years ago.

I build...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
This one seems to be going a whole different route,all the guy asked is what battery do we recommend.
To the above question,never read or heard of anyone on the forum changing engine mounts,I think it would be a good idea
to replace them if your...

Reply #19
Most 320's came with optima red tops, 800 CCA each.  Engine requires 2,000 as was posted.
. . .

A single deep discharge can damage any non gel battery,

I have a different opinion here...

Reply #20
Too many memories of constantly attending to flooded cell batteries and the adjunct cabling when I had my Foretravel store in California in the 80's to ever want to go there again,

Although the newer chargers would certainly help flooded cells...

Reply #21
Struggled to start this afternoon sunny 50. Drove 10m to auto zone and shut off engine to check batteries.  All starting batteries tested good with 98-99% charge, removed +&- to test batteries.  Technician said didn't look like they needed any...

Reply #22
Tommy,

I hate to say this but most car improvement stores don't have the equipment or knowledge to properly test a DUVAC alternator. You need to find an old time alternator shop that knows what to do.  The standard alternator that is on the shelf...

Reply #23
Tommy,

Exactly where did he get the 12.5 VDC reading?  What was engine RPM?

What did the dash voltmeter show at the same time/conditions?
What did the monitor voltage show at the same time/conditions?

Reply #24
The tech did initially say that he didn't have the proper equipment to test my alternator but he wanted to do the test anyway. The 12.5v reading came from the same testing equipment he used to test the batteries that were still clamped to...