Skip to main content
Topic: Storage bay LED lights (Read 643 times) previous topic - next topic

Storage bay LED lights

I am getting ready to change my storage bay lights over to LED from the original bulbs. I have purchased aluminum channel with translucent covers and end caps. Do I need to put in waterproof light strips or would the normal light strips like I put in the old ceiling fixtures work as well? Also, should I do anything to the aluminum prior to putting the strips on? (clean with chemical, rough the surface, etc.)

thanks in advance,
Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Re: Storage bay LED lights

Reply #1

Larry,

I used the non-weatherproof strips in my bay lights.  I figure it's highly unlikely they would get wet.  I did nothing to the aluminum before sticking on the strips.  Following Roger's advice, I did not trust the adhesive on the back of the strips.  I used the double sided foam tape - stuck it to the aluminum channel, then stuck the LED strip to the foam tape.  Have not had any of them come loose yet, and the storage bays on our coach see a lot of heat in the West TX summer months.

Oh, on the end of each LED strip, I put a little blob of adhesive for extra security.  I used Goop.  Nitehawk would use Shoe Goo.

Amazon.com: J.V. Converting DC-WGT-01/WI063038 JVCC DC-WGT-01 Double Coated...

1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2

Larry, try this tape to stick the LED strips into the aluminium channel.  Works great.
Amazon.com: J.V. Converting DC-WGT-01/WI063038 JVCC DC-WGT-01 Double Coated...

You can use the same tape (maybe 4 3" pieces on a 1 meter channel) to stick it to the fiberglass ceiling of the bay.  Probably wouldn't hurt to clean off the fiberglass.  Or just use the clips that come with the channels.  They make it easier to get the channel out if you have to.  Put a blob of silicone at the end where the wires are attached for strain relief.  I didn't use the end caps. 

Reply #3
Chuck and Roger, thanks for the input. I already bought the double sided tape from your previous suggestions on changing out the interior light fixtures. Still got half a roll left over. That stuff works great. I didn't think that I would need waterproof LED'S since the lights are going to be inside the bays not on the bay doors. Just needed reassurance from the pros. I plan on using the end caps provided at this point just to give it a more finished look. I didn't think of making a strain relief for the wires at the end. Thanks again for the insight.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #5
Roger, I'm thinking of the engine bay as well as the generator bay since it is up front.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #6
This is what my big bay with 6,000°K LEDs looks like at night to my camera.  I have been using the higher temp LEDs in the basement spaces for brighter light.  Inside the 3,000°K LEDs look better to us.

I ran one string (5M) of the waterproof LEDs around the upper edge of the engine bay box and hooked it up to the flourescent light fixture on the driver's side rear.  No channels, I just used wire cable staples.  One string goes all the way around.

Reply #7
4 lights fabricated ready for install. It's getting closer ^.^d

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318