Skip to main content
Topic: How to inspect the seal on the slider (Read 1156 times) previous topic - next topic

How to inspect the seal on the slider

I have never had an RV with the bladder type slide seals. I have seen the pictures of how they are replaced but how do you inspect them to make sure they are in good working order? We are leaving soon to go inspect and hopefully pick up our new to us Foretravel.
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Re: How to inspect the seal on the slider

Reply #1
There are different slide bladders and slide mechanism for the years 1999-2001, 2002 and 2003-2005.  After that in the Nimbus and Phenix models and beyond that I am not sure what they used.

I added an on/off valve and 0-30 psi gauge in the air line from the slide bladder manifold to the bladder.  My bladder will inflate and hold pressure for a month or more with the small compressor off.  You can test the bladder integrity by inflating it and then closing the valve.  Any leaks have to be in the bladder, the pressure gauge or the valve itself.  It should hold pressure for a long time.  Mine inflates to about 12 psi and stays there.  If you close the valve to check it be sure to open the valve before you use the slide again.

When the bladder is inflated you can use a credit card and try sliding it in along the edge of the slide, you should not be able to get past the bladder.  When the slide is deflated the card will easily slip in.  There should be about 1/4" or more space between the slide and the deflated bladder.  From inside look around the edges of the slide.  On my 2001 I can see the space along the vertical ends and around the upper corners and from the front along the top of the slde when it is closed.

On the 2001 and earlier the yellow light comes on after about 40 seconds.  You should visually check that the bladder has deflated before extending or retracting.  Later years use a vacuum sensor to control the yellow light.  Check anyway if you can.

Keep the surfaces where the bladder makes contact clean.  When extending or retracting it should not squeal. If it does the bladder is dragging on the slide.  Worst case spray some soapy water where it is dragging for lube. 

Let us know what coach you are looking at.

As TMan suggest, listen for the compressor running a lot (that can be many issues), listen for air leaks, maybe a soapy bubble thing.  When you look at a coach have the seller cycle the slides in and out several times. 

Reply #2
Maybe the bladder(s) have recently been replaced and you'll get lucky.  If not then you should try and ascertain if one is leaking air by using soap bubbles or something similar.  Other indicators of a leak would be the auxiliary pump running a lot (mine comes on about every eight hours for 60 - 90 seconds),  hearing air escaping and looking for daylight from the inside as well as trying to slide a credit card in between the bladder and slide from outside.  Operate the system a few times to make sure it's working properly.

What year coach?

Reply #3
Thanks for the information the coach we are going to look as is a 38', 2003, U320. I tried to post a link to a picture but I have to figure out how to do that. We are so excited.

John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #4
Is this one at MOT?  Get someone who knows Foretravels to inspect it for you    Keith is very good if you can get him to do it.

I don't mean to imply they aren't reliable.    We've bought three coaches there. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #5
We are actually getting it from Premium Coach Group in Gilbert AZ
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #7
yes that's it.
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #8
Beautiful coach for sure
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #9
Original inverter. just a matter of when.. nice coach..

Reply #10
Coach is as good as advertised we will be starting for home today. As for the only matter of time remark. One thing I've learned is with anything mechanical or electrical it's always just a matter of. That is even more true with a motor home than it is with other things. If it is original only shows how good the original equipment is that was installed and how well maintained the coach has been. Thanks again for the pointers
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #11
Coach is as good as advertised we will be starting for home today. As for the only matter of time remark. One thing I've learned is with anything mechanical or electrical it's always just a matter of. That is even more true with a motor home than it is with other things. If it is original only shows how good the original equipment is that was installed and how well maintained the coach has been. Thanks again for the pointers

Congratulations!  Beautiful coach and you should enjoy many years of wonderful service as you navigate the wonders of America!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #12
New bladder seals are thicker and squeal.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #13
New bladder seals are thicker and squeal.

Is this common (squealing) for all new bladders?  When I was at HWH to get my slide bladder manifold replaced the most senior tech told that the bladder should never squeal while moving the slide.  If it does it is dragging on the slide and will cause early failure.

Mine does not squeal.  But then it is the original bladder.

Reply #14
My new bedroom bladder will squeal sometimes when going in, or out. If I remember to squirt water on it before I bring it in, it won't make any noise.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #15
I think we have your twin. We got ours back in October. We love it. Welcome to the group.

btw, our slide has started squeaking too. I have not looked into it in depth yet but will be soon, taking advantage of the information here. I'll post what I find.
Brad & Melanie
2003 U320 3820 1st timer
'97 TJ and/or '85 CJ7

Reply #16

Keep the surfaces where the bladder makes contact clean.  When extending or retracting it should not squeal. If it does the bladder is dragging on the slide.  Worst case spray some soapy water where it is dragging for lube. 

What about using spray silicone?
Brad & Melanie
2003 U320 3820 1st timer
'97 TJ and/or '85 CJ7

Reply #17
FF,
In the pics. it sure looks nice.
Welcome to the group. Hope you have a great trip back to your home base. We need a debriefing on how the maiden voyage went.
Your learning curve will seem steep at times but we all have been looking up that mountain. If you have a question about most anything there will most likely be someone here that has tackled the same problem.

Pamela & Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #18
Welcom, looks like we are triplets! What's your build number?
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #19

What about using spray silicone?

I am not sure about that.  My suggestion would be to keet the slide surfaces as clean as you can and waxed up.  I use WashWaxAll on the slide to keep it clean and slippery.  I don't think I would spray silicone spray directly on the fiberglass or painted fiberglass.  You don't want to get anything on there that might make the bladder stick to the slide.  Water or water with a bit of soap (Dawn for example) is pretty safe and harmless.

Bladders seem to be somewhat delicate.  Double check every time to make sure you have a good opening.  It is a lot easier than tearing a bladder and having to replace it.  Sooner or later you will probably have to anyway but I vote for later.

Reply #20
I'm not so sure that the bladders are squeaking, as there is a 3/8" - 1/2" opening all the way around the slide on mine when the bladder is deflated.  What I hear squeaking sometimes is the rubber squeegee-like blade that is attached to the sidewall above the slide, that's there to sweep the top of the slide off when it's retracting.

Reply #21
T-Man might be right. But for most coaches in this era if the sweep gasket has not been replaced it is probably falling apart. Mine came apart in pieces when I replaced it.  Gasket material is available at FOT, maybe at MOT as well.

Reply #22
Welcom, looks like we are triplets! What's your build number?
6206 is our build number so we close.
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #23
Update on the maiden voyage so far, we have made it as far as Tucumcari NM. It's been a heck of a trip so far. High winds yesterday (gusts in the 50 mph range) today we hit snow not much and it wasn't sticking but still. I think the storm is finally ahead of us enough that we should have smooth sailing the rest of the way back to Wisconsin. BTW the coach is doing great and we are very pleased with our purchase.
John & Holly Zick
2003 U320
38' Build #6206
FMCA F495485

Reply #24

Congratulations on a beautiful coach.
  Enjoy the trip and have safe travels.
Jim & Doreen
2003 U320

"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen"
― Louis L'Amour