Skip to main content
Topic: Air Hose Connection next to Hitch (Read 612 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Hose Connection next to Hitch

I was thinking that my coach came with the hookup to send air to the toad for braking.  I bought the Air Force 1 system and was going to go and install the system on the Tahoe.  I tried the air hose that goes between the coach and toad but the fitting on the coach seems to be a different size.

I looked thru the books that came with the coach and also looked at the spec sheet for this year coach and could not find anything about the air fitting.  I have all the paper work were the previous owner had work done and none of it shows the air fitting being installed so I am assuming it was installed when coach was built.  If this really is an air fitting for brakes installed by FOT do I just need to change out the air fitting to the one that works with the coupling hose?
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago

Re: Air Hose Connection next to Hitch

Reply #1
I installed the M&G Brake system on my 96 U 320
activated by air brakes on MH and utilizing air fitting
Like your fitting to connect when towing the toad.
1996 U320 Build 4922 original owner

Reply #2
The small air line fittings are readily available at Rv places and a lot of part store...You can cut the air line close to your big fitting, the new fitting will have the Ferrell , the small brass olive looking thing that does on the line after you put the hose through the nut on the end of the connnection. A diagram may come with the fitting, if not take the old one apart and have a look..it's really not difficult. I use the small fittings because the air hose is easier to store,, IMO..

Safe travels,
Dave
2001 U320 40ft
Build #5867
2003 Tracker
VE7DOD

Reply #3
It probably is an AF1 hookup.  I think the AF1 fitting is an unusual size.  Smaller than standard.  I damaged my hose and had to get one from AF1.  I was unable to find a replacement locally.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #4
I believe they are all different, I have the BrakeMaster made by Roadmaster and the connection is made in Germany.  They use to be carried by Camping World in shelf  stock as a Roadmaster replacement part in small plastic packets.  The link below is to a eTrailer listing.

RoadMaster Quick Disconnect for BrakeMaster Air Line - 1/8" Male Pipe Thread...
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #5
I recommend having the air system inspected by someone familiar with air brakes and the various supplemental braking systems. This isn't an area where it's safe to assume something without being certain of the configuration.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #6
I recommend having the air system inspected by someone familiar with air brakes and the various supplemental braking systems. This isn't an area where it's safe to assume something without being certain of the configuration.

That's precisely why I DIDN'T go with one of the air braking systems.