Skip to main content
Topic: Does coolant evaporate? (Read 592 times) previous topic - next topic

Does coolant evaporate?

We've been parked here since early January and are getting ready to leave at the end of the week. I've started doing some of the outside stuff and checked the coolant level. When we arrived in January the coolant in the white expansion tank was right at the COLD level. Yesterday if was quite a bit below that mark. I added enough to bring it up to the mark again (probably about a quart of 50-50 mix). I don't see any evidence of it on the ground, so where did it go? Engine oil is right where it ought to be 400 miles after an oil change and looks like it ought, as far as I can tell color.

We're in Hobbs, NM, so definitely a desert climate. Could it just be evaporation?

Re: Does coolant evaporate?

Reply #1
Well, the water component will certainly evaporate over time, which would lower the level.  Don't know about the antifreeze chemicals...
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
That's kind of what I was thinking, but Chemistry was more than 50 years ago and I've slept since then.

Reply #3
I'm in 'dry country' too, and lose some, but I don't know if the PO just added distilled water.  I'm going into Phoenix soon and will get what CAT suggests. I see no evidence of leaks, either.
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #4
Look for seepage around the radiator. Is it original?
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #5
From my experience, I suspect you have a small leak somewhere.  I have found some clamps that needed to be tightened.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #6
I am also betting on a little seepage.  Cold temperatures, metal contracts and small leaks.  Check all hose clamps.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #7
'When you arrived in January' was the engine warm or very cold. Warm engine coolant expands, cooling sucks it back into pressure tank if pressure cap is working ok. Coolant level should not go down once the coolant system has cooled down.

Reply #8
Coolant and oil checks are always done with the engine cold. Aside from getting proper readings, it is much easier on fingers.

Reply #9
Check the coolant with a Refractometer. If the coolant concentration is up it's just water evaporation. Aqua-Hot's  evaporate water quite regularly if used consistently.
The selected media item is not currently available.Bob & Faith Rozek
1997 U320 40'
Xtreme Remodel
2010 Scion XD