Skip to main content

Topic: Broken metal fuel line (Read 488 times) previous topic - next topic

Broken metal fuel line
Today we completed a five day trip from Nac to Tucson.  Until today, a problem-free trip.  But when we arrived in front of our house and I bent down to disconnect the coach from our Jeep, I saw a liquid pouring onto the ground from the right side...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Broken metal fuel line
Reply #1
Had a similar leak from metal line 6 months ago.  My engine is probably somewhat different, so might not be the same fuel line.

SAFETY ALERT: C8.3 Fuel Leak

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
If you can pinpoint the leak,get a hose clamp and a piece of rubber hose and make a patch,will get you going.

Reply #3
Quite a coincidence Chuck, ours developed a leak in the exact same place on our last trip. Discovered it at a rest area in South Carolina on I26. Ours was missing that clamp support (some mechanic or PO forgot to replace it while doing some...

Reply #4
Chuck...  I think my leak is different from those described for the C8.3 engines above.  Mine is at the banjo fitting coming into the fuel pump.  I have never installed a banjo fitting.  Are these torqued to a specific standard or just tightened...

Reply #5
The banjo may have some crush washers/gaskets of some kind. They can leak .  They also tend to rotate when tightened a little and can break the line  due to  bending.   You may have to hold the banjo fitting itself with channel lock plyers to...

Reply #6
If you break a banjo fitting you need a new crush washer to re-install it.

Reply #7
Chuck...  I think my leak is different from those described for the C8.3 engines above.  Mine is at the banjo fitting coming into the fuel pump.  I have never installed a banjo fitting. ...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Glad you got home safe George. Now this makes me want to go out to check our lines as same engine. Will have to make a note to do this and put in dash.
JohnH

Reply #9
I called Coachnet.  Very helpful.   They have a contract with a mobile diesel service in Tucson and they expect the line can be fixed today.  So hopefully a tow will not be necessary.   After it is driveable I will be taking it to Cummins Tucson...

Reply #10
The mechanic from Mobile Maintenace and Towing (Tow Service Tuscon | Mobile Maintenance and Towing LLC) came and removed the fuel line so he could get a replacement from Cummins.  They could not identify the part from my photos and the engine ID...

Reply #11
For what it's worth, we have similar looking lines on Duetz power units for use on irrigation pumps. When we have a stress crack like that, we clean it up real good and braze it. Might be worth a try. We never had one recrack where we repaired it.

Reply #12
One other thing, the hollow bolt that goes through the end of that line was brass washers on both sides. Don't forget them.

Reply #13
One other thing, the hollow bolt that goes through the end of that line was brass washers on both sides. Don't forget them.
The washers for banjo fittings are copper, softer than brass.

Reply #14
Some thing to consider with these type of cracked pipes (and hoses), is that if the subject pipe/hose is hard fastened to the chassis close to the engine and there isn't much room for it to work,  it will work harden over time as the engine...

Reply #15
When I searched for the replacement part for mine through Cummins quick Serve using the engine serial number the new replacement was braided stainless steel covered flexible hose in the mid section instead of a solid steel line like the original....

Reply #16
NEVER tow if there is ANY other option, even if it takes more time to make a temporary fix. . . Towing may cause new unforeseen problems.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
George,check out this site,Russell Fuel fittings,may have a solution.

Reply #18
These engines shake and change size with heat. Any solid line will eventually fail. Adding any vibration tolerant fuel line seems like a good idea.
  The Cat 3208 boat guys carry spare injector lines.