Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel transfer pump (Read 497 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel transfer pump

While changing the oil this weekend I noticed diesel leaking from what I believe is the "Fuel transfer pump".  It seems pretty simple to replace but want to make sure I'm not missing something.  Anybody ever dealt with this on a C8.3?

Thanks,
David
David & Jenn
1994 U280 3600

Re: Fuel transfer pump

Reply #1
Been there - done that - GTTS.  Changing out the lift pump is a fairly simple job, made difficult only by the location.  It looks like you already have studs installed on your engine, so I suspect that is not the OEM pump.  The studs may unscrew when you try to remove the retaining nuts.  No worry - just reinstall them using the "double nut" technique.  A little Loctite Red 271 will help keep them in place.  Here is a post when I replaced my pump.  It was part of a long thread detailing my investigation of the C8.3 fuel system. 

Fuel System Science Project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYKMtb3Jpo
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
All the new mechanical lift pumps for the C8.3 are made in China - doesn't matter where you buy it or who's name is on the box.  Shop around for the best price.  I bought mine at the link below, but you may find a better price elsewhere.

Alliant Power | AP4988747 | Fuel Components | Thoroughbred Diesel

Reply #3
Thank you for the help Chuck.  It's funny I found your report while searching but must have started on page 2 or 3.  Looks like hopefully a fairly simple job. 

Thanks again,

David
David & Jenn
1994 U280 3600

Reply #4
Yer welcome.

Here's another thread with a good general discussion on changing out the lift pump (just in case your search missed it).

new lift pump made a BIG difference