Skip to main content

Topic: Just got an 85' Grand villa (Read 1212 times) previous topic - next topic

Just got an 85' Grand villa
Well I just pulled this 85' out of a 20+ year slumber. Last tagged in 97'. Cat 3208 with alison trans. Defiantly alot of stuff on it I have no idea what it does, glad I found this forum! First thing will be to fix a couple of vents on the roof,...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Just got an 85' Grand villa
Reply #1
Very nice find.  Welcome to the adventure.

• hdff
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Welcome! Lots of good info here...  nice looking grand villa! Like the c20 behind it also.......

Reply #3
86?  Detroit or cat?  Rear radiator?

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Striped awnings same as our 1989 GV.

Reply #5
Several forum members with the 3208 CAT engines that will give you expert advice on their care and feeding. Search the archives for your engine and the airbags. Lots of post for both. Congratulations on your purchase.

Pierce

Reply #6
Welcome to the Foretravel "family".
There are a ton of people out there working to keep the classics on the road. Good stuff...

Reply #7
Looks like a 250 ho cat ORED, rear radiator 36'. Congrats and welcome!  ORED cats are pretty sweet running and simple, drove mine 1400 miles home.

Reply #8
If it's a rear radiator, what is the purpose of the grill on the driver side at the rear - air conditioning condenser?

Are those the OEM tail lights or a custom modification?

• Gary Bouland
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #9
I had one of these and loved it, sadly was totaled in an accident.  Watch the roof carefully, these had no crown and were prone to leaks when water pooled on the roof.  3208 was no speed demon but I drove ours all over the country and it pulled...

• Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:56:20 pm by Gary Bouland

Reply #10
No, ORED's came in both rear and side radiator, depending on HP.

U225 is rear radiator

U240 is side radiator

Reply #11
Thanks, Brett, I stand corrected! So the OP coach IS a rear-mount radiator.  ^.^d

Reply #12
 Welcome, Nice find .
 Looks almost exactly like my 87-88.  The driver side grille houses the oil checks and air filter can.  This one has two boxes behind the rear wheels , mine has only one.  Maybe it is a 38?    It looks very nice .

FWIW ,...

• Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 09:49:44 am by Protech Racing

Reply #13
Are those the OEM tail lights or a custom modification?
Answered my own question.

OEM.  Seems the '85 model had surface mount tail lights, and the '86 went to the Isuzu lights.  Photo of...

Reply #14
Other than the middle window on the curb side ( we have an office no dinette) it looks very much like our 88. Great coach.

• WC7610
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #15
Congrats!  I have a 3208 and been ok.

Change filters and fluids then the rest as you have time.   Welcome

Reply #16
Don't over look the air cleaner, The one on our rig was plugged when we bought it.  I would also flush the fresh water sys. with all of the faucet strainers removed.  There is probably alot of scale in there that needs to come out.   Have that...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Pick up about 10 gallons of vinegar and put it in your system. Make sure your water heater is full with the solution. Turn on your water heater and leave it on for 12-24 hours with the vinegar in it. Then flush several times until all smell is...

Reply #18
Thanks! I will get some more pics up soon. I've been working on getting the motor ready to fire up. Hopefully this week!
Pick up about 10 gallons of vinegar and put it in your system. Make sure...

Reply #19
What are you going to do with all that 20 year old diesel, parts washer or stump burning fuel? Fresh fuel would definitely be a good idea.

Reply #20
What are you going to do with all that 20 year old diesel, parts washer or stump burning fuel? Fresh fuel would definitely be a good idea.

That I am not sure, although I may have gotten...

Reply #21
If there isn't much fuel in the tank, then possible there is a lot of condensed moisture.  Or, being you're in Flagstaff, perhaps the air is dry enough that you will be OK.  I agree with phred - think it would be a good idea to pump as much of...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #22
Because our 1989 GV sat for 10-11 years in a warehouse I ended up with a problem. I kept changing both fuel filters until that didn't work anymore. Ended up at a repair shop. Turned out there was about 3" of rust flakes (100 Gallon steel fuel...

Reply #23
There is a drain plug in the bottom of the tank. I would take it out see if there is any water in the tank.

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #24
If your fuel tank is full and you remove the drain plug, be prepared for a deluge of diesel fuel!!
I drained my 100 gallon tank into a five gallon pail with a 12V liquid pump in the pail. I pumped the fuel thru a one gallon white jug with a drain...