Skip to main content
Topic: No air, need help  (Read 2839 times) previous topic - next topic

No air, need help

Got the coach running for the first time this season. Let idle for about 20 minutes. Coach never raised up. Checked the gauges, hadn't moved off of 20 lbs. Tried the air line drain valve in front of left rear tires, only got minimum air flow.  Maybe 5-10 lbs. I can't hear any leaks anywhere while the engine is running. Besides the search here on the forum which I will be going through tonight, what/where should I be looking at/for?

Once again, thanks in advance,
Larry
Larry Warren
1996  U320 36' SBID "Lola"
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Re: No air, need help

Reply #1
Go back to the air compressor you will see an aluminum valve with a small hose going to it. That's the d2 air governor give it a small love tap or 2 with the engine running, it controls the air compressor. Use the search function at the top of the page  and type in D2 air governor lots of posts on it.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #2
Larry,
In order from simplest to more complicated;
Brake tank drains up front, Popet valve on wet tank, D2 governor, air drier,.  With the engine running, I would start by placing my hand under the purge valve to see if I could feel air coming out. If the answer is no, then I would make sure the valves in front on the air brake tanks are not open, the safety blow off valve on the wet tank (Very unlikely) And then I would put your spare D2 Governor In. You do have a spare governor, right?
Don
Edit: Sorry about the punctuation, doing this on my phone in bright sunlight and so can barely read it.
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #3
Would start at the source and trace thru the D-2 regulator and the air drier,the source being the engine driven air compressor,see
if you can locate a line coming off the compressor and see if it's pumping air.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #4
When I had a similar problem I discovered that the problem was the air dryer. If your air dryer hasn't been serviced in several years then that could be the problem. Suggest searching the forum for "air dryer."
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #5
Thanks everyone. I will be burning up the search function tonight, so if your forum useage is a little slow, I'm sorry. I have the manuals here at the house so I should be able to locate all the items mentioned. After work tomorrow I will begin the hunt. This learning curve sure is fun, isn't it.

Don, no sweat on the punctuation. I wasn't sure I had a D2 governor let alone a spare one :facepalm:  :headwall:

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #6
D2 $15-20. Love tap means smack it lightly with hammer or cresent wrench
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #7
If that doesn't work take the plastic cone shaped cover off loosen 7/16 lock nut and  screw in the pressure adjustment screw one or two turns CW and one or two turns CCW
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #8
Just had the same thing this past week on mine. I decided to go cheap first and changed the Governor...no dice so I started digging more and found the bottom of the air dryer venting out as fast as it was pumping air so wasn't gaining pressure. Changed out the dryer 300 dollars and bingo it fixed my problem. Good luck
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #9
Thanks everyone. I've spent the last 3 hrs searching past posts and it seems likely the dryer, but I will check the D2 governor first. I have no records from previous owners of dryer being worked on, so I fear for the worst. Even if it is the governor, I will at least check the dryer for the maintenance procedures from this forum. One of the fun things with owning an older coach is that you get to play with all the various systems and learn so much. Also being able to repair and keep running these wonderful machines is satisfying.

Since my printer has a better memory on paper than I do in between my ears, I have printed up nearly 100 pages of info derived from here. Posts, PDF  downloads, pictures etc. All I can say is thank you all from all the posts who help add up the collective knowledge base. Couldn't have this coach without it.

I'll report my findings as I go.
Thanks again,
Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #10
Been replacing our air dryer annually. From what I've read here and told by others, if air dryer fails it can send "gunk" throughout the air system with the potential for multiple component failures in the air system. May be pricey to replace but ultimately save money.
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #11
Yes I've read the horror stories also over the years. Didn't know where to start looking but have a better idea now. I have only put on 1000 +/- miles on the coach since I have bought it, so I hope that I don't have the dessicant problem. Never had anything come out of the drain valves when I checked them.

That work thing keeps getting in the way, but not for to much longer.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #12
Just had the same thing this past week on mine. I decided to go cheap first and changed the Governor...no dice so I started digging more and found the bottom of the air dryer venting out as fast as it was pumping air so wasn't gaining pressure. Changed out the dryer 300 dollars and bingo it fixed my problem. Good luck
Same story for me last Sept...

dan
2008 Nimbus 338 Special
Rockwall, Texas

Reply #13
I changed my dryer last year with a Re manufactured unit I got at Napa. If your somewhat good with a wrench you can do it... I did mine at my storage spot..  and if it does go bad it is not "gunk" but powder that goes thru the system, you will see it if you drain the wet tank...  ask me how I know that..  from what I've read the desiccant filter needs to be changed every 2 or 3 years under normal use and the whole assembly every 5 or 6ish years. Here's a pic of mine after I took it off the coach.....

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #14
It looks like mine that is still on the coach. Will look this afternoon.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #15
It looks like mine that is still on the coach. Will look this afternoon.
If you have the same dryer, then you could try running the engine again and see if you feel air flowing out bottom of dryer.  Will tell you if this is the source of your massive air loss.  If YES, replace dryer with a new or reman, and yer good to go.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #16
 While I believe the problem is compressor /D2/ dryer, start at the D2 and make sure that it gets pressure from the compressor.
 If it drove to the storage lot with air , it is likely that the dryer worked fine.  Fire it up and  feel the dump valve for air, if none, move back towards the engine , loosening the feed line, check for air, etc.
 If your D2 is mounted directly on the compressor,  take a picture, remove it, change it , try the system again.  If the new one has no change.  Remove it and blow  softly through a rubber hose into the compressor ports.  A little WD 40 or CRC will lube the valves.
 If all of these parts seem to work, follow the air line from the dryer to the first tank. 

Reply #17
Think were all telling ohso the same thing in different words.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #18
If it drove to the storage lot with air , it is likely that the dryer worked fine.
In my case the dryer worked fine when it was put into heated storage for the winter-- but didn't work properly in the Spring. After checking the other portions of the system, the replacement dryer resolved the issue.
David and Carolyn Osborn
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #19
Here's where the D-2 governor is on a 97.
jor

Reply #20
I had a failing d2  controller on our coach when we bought it.

Pumped the brakes till all the air was gone on the dash gauge.

Started motor.  Coach built pressure after that.

Replace d2 valve.  Adjust to 110/130 psi for better brakes
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #21
Ok guys here is what I got. Started the coach, air gauges went from 0 to 30 and stopped. Never got above 30 with engine running for about an hour, both low and high rpm. Tried persuading the d2, which is mounted directly on the compressor behind the AC compressor. Nada. Foune the air dryer located lower left side of engine between the engine dipstick and side rail. It is a Haldex, couldn't see any numbers. Got underneath and located the plastic purge valve. I assume from Bob's picture that it is supposed to be open to the ground. Lots of dirt, grease and looks like it had something looking damp. Could be condensation from our weather, not sure.

In one of the posts I pulled up from Twig 4 years ago it says "Remove the screw on filter on the top and see if it airs up. If not, putt out the smaller filter down inside and see if it airs up. If not, uh oh. It's the dryer. If it does, it's the filter(s)." If I understand this, the filter canister will screw right off without removing the complete dryer? I'm sure this would take a strap wrench which I didn't have at the lot.

I'm thinking about making up one of the dryer bypass couplings and seeing if it will raise the pressure. When I crack the pit cock for the wet tank, by the  DS rear wheel. I get a steady flow of air, probably the full 30#. Since the coach has settled down, I can't quite reach the two front tanks to check for pressure.

More researching tonight, that's for sure.

More comments appreciated.
Thanks,
Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #22
Did you put your hand under the purge valve while it was running to see if you could feel the air coming out? It is pretty easy to tell, not a subtle thing at all if it won't build more than 30lbs.
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #23
Yes, I took a rag and cleaned it up some. Didn't notice any air coming out at all. Not near the pressure from the wet tank valve.

Larry
Larry Warren
Build #4970
Motorcade #18318

Reply #24
The thinking that leads me to the following recommendation is this: Unless you know when the air dryer was last serviced/replaced then you can expect it to fail at an inconvenient time and place. Therefore, eliminate that possibility and proceed with additional troubleshooting if needed.

My recomnendation is to make sure the coach has zero air pressure and then carefully remove the iair dryer while carefully documenting where each line connects to the dryer. Then make a bypass out of pipe to connect the two main lines together and cap any control lines. This should allow full air pressure to move the coach and/or do additional troubleshooting. Use the information found on the dryer to order a rebuilt replacement.
David and Carolyn Osborn
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186