Skip to main content
Topic: Drive Axle Wheel Seal Leak (Read 599 times) previous topic - next topic

Drive Axle Wheel Seal Leak

Just discovered the left rear wheel seal is leaking.  Bernd's shop in NAC replaced rotors, brake pads, slide pins, and wheel seals on drive axle in Jun 2015 at 92,362 miles.  That same month while on a trip to the Rockies, found that the right wheel seal was leaking, but not too much.  When I got home, Bernd sent Beau Reece to Austin to replace the seal.  Now 16,682 miles later the left wheel seal is leaking and oil on the brake rotor.  Thinking of getting Beau to replace the seal.  Anyone know his phone number?  I think he is working for himself now and may have his own shop.  Another option is getting it done near Austin, if anyone knows a shop that has experience with Meritor disk brakes.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Re: Drive Axle Wheel Seal Leak

Reply #1
Thinking of getting Beau to replace the seal.  Anyone know his phone number?  I think he is working for himself now and may have his own shop.  Another option is getting it done near Austin, if anyone knows a shop that has experience with Meritor disk brakes.
Howdy Jerry, I've haven't used Beau, but I have saved his contact info. Good Luck, Dave A

Reece Mobil Service
beaureece@yahoo.com
936-221-2055  Cell
936-326-4360  Shop
269 S. 6th. Street
Cushing, Tx
Reece Mobile Service
Specialized in Coaches, Heavy Diesel, and Automotive Repair.
Shop is located at:
269 S 6th St
Cushing Tx 75760
Shop: 936-326-4360 Leave a message
Cell: 936-221-2055

Dave and Nancy Abel
'00 U320 36' WTFE  Build #5669
'10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Livingston, TX  SKP's Fulltiming

Reply #2
When I was at Xtreme, Rance said Reese is now working for a construction company.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #3
I called, left a message and emailed Beau Reese and did not get a response.  I was not looking forward to driving to east TX with a leaking seal anyway.  My brain finally remembered the place that swapped out the steering gear box.  Went there and they were busy for the rest of the month, but recommended someone.  A small truck shop (Hill Truck and Automotive) out in the boonies near Manor, TX.  The owner said I looked familiar, turned out he worked for Shreve truck repair where I took my Georgie Boy not more than 4 or 5 times over 12 yrs ago.  Shreve stopped working on RV's about the time I sold the G-Boy. The seal has been replaced, the new kind that does not use the axle housing as the stationary part of the seal.  Mike Hill did the work himself, although he has employees.  I don't have the seal number.  He cleaned the brake pads and rotor, although he said the oil was mainly on the inside part of the rotor.  Slightly less than $370, and his dog is friendly too.
Hill Truck and Auto Repair - Serving Austin - Home Page
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt