Skip to main content
Topic: Hydraulic motor is leaking... again (Read 2199 times) previous topic - next topic

Hydraulic motor is leaking... again

While I had my coach in Bernd's shop I had the seals replaced on my two fan motors.  This is the seal they used. 

Amazon.com: National 222025 Oil Seal: Automotive

The interior motor was the one that had a slow leak (oil residue around the shaft), but the outer one was fine.  I had both of them replaced.  Now the interior motor is leaking more than it did before the "repair."  I've probably driven 1500 miles since the seals were replaced, but I suspect it has been leaking for most of those miles.

So my questions are:

1.  Should I have the seal replaced again or is this just an exercise in futility?  I do have some concerns about how the seals were installed, but it is a pretty simple job once the fan motor is out.  I've attached a pic showing the conditions under which the seals were replaced.  Not exactly clean and tidy!

2.  Are these the fan motors that are so hard to get?  Does anyone know the make and model of the fan motors used in 2000?

Thanks in advance.

The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Re: Hydraulic motor is leaking... again

Reply #1
George,

Locate a good hydraulic shop who works on that brand/style hydraulic motor.  Visit with them or just take it to them for evaluation about resealing/rebuilding. They would be much better than us at determining if it is resealable/rebuildable or if wear means replacement.

Sorry to see your "recheck" list building.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Looks like you need to head on back to Bernd's have him pull them, at their expense. The get them to a hyd shop for proper repair. From my past experience with these type of motors they need to be dissembled and the shaft polished up good. Usually just putting a seal in them doesn't work, and it has to be done in a clean environment. Sorry you are having problems, not fun.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #3
Not sure if we have the same motors and hyd pump.  Both pump and motors got new seals in Bernd's shop in 2015.  16K miles later no leaks, but maybe I should check  to be certain.  Took 3 tries with the pump to get it right.  He also did drive axle wheel seals, one of which started leaking after about a week and now the other is leaking.  Bernd did stand behind his work and sent Beau Reece to Austin to fix the seal.  Suggest that you call Bernd and see if he will do anything to fix your problem.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #4
Looks like another fine example of professional techs at Bern'd doing what the do best.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #5
Someone on the forum bought a new motor for less than a CB from Danfloss can't find the info.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #6
Jerry...  I did call Bernd and left a message. 

George
George Hatfield

Reply #7
Bruce hit the nail on the head about the shaft,sometimes you can install the seal a little in more or less to get a different spot on the shaft.Just for curiosity sake when was the oil changed last and what weight oil did you use?
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #8
The hydraulic oil was changed at Bernd's after one of his crew got some water, yes, water in the system.  They flushed it with about 14 gallons (that is what he tried to charge me for) of the recommended oil (Delo 15W-40), before filling the reservoir.  Of course, they also changed the filters.  The problem was noted quickly because the outboard fan motor was leaking oil when the engine was started after the engine/fan work was completed.  The oil looked like milk!

I am absolutely sure the water was not in the system before Bernd's work since the system was drained when the fan motors were removed.  One of the techs remarked how clean it was and that it would not have to be changed.  That was before the water incident.  As I said, Bernd tried to charge me for the flush but gave me a refund after we discussed it. 

See the attached... warning!  As they say on TV, this picture may be disturbing to some! 

George
George Hatfield

Reply #9
Yup, hydraulic oil was absolutely clean when inspected in League City just before driving to Nacogdoches.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #10
The hydraulic oil was changed at Bernd's after one of his crew got some water, yes, water in the system.
I'm sitting here (armchair quarterbacking) trying to imagine how this could possibly happen...so far, I'm drawing a blank.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #11
If such a thing is possible, I have no doubt that Bern'd and his Master Techs can accomplish this easily.
John
1998 U270 34'

Reply #12
Hate to see work like that but every time I do I thank God I can do it myself,would get a couple of sets of filters coming cause
that's where the water will end up.On an engine that moisture will burn off but will just circulate on the hyd system.Wonder if he
left that long hose out in the rain.Guess he charges extra to wipe the parts off.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #13
Seems like Bernd..is close to a 4 letter word......scary photos
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #14
WOW! What a shame George! Totally unacceptable.
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #15
After reviewing a lot of advice on whether to reseal my ailing hydraulic motor, I have decided to buy a new one from FT.  The problem is that resealing often fails (but not always) and it will cost me at least $500 to remove the motor for resealing.  Of course, the one I need is the expensive one with the thermal valve.  Only $3295 with my discount.  The other fan motor without the thermal valve is $625.  They have both in stock.  I will try to have the old one rebuilt. 

According to the Brett, who did the pre-sale inspection of the coach, this pump was NOT leaking before Bernd's master techs (or perhaps a better name would be "disaster techs") got their hands on it.  This is contrary to what I stated in my first post in this thread.  I continue to pay for my mistake in allowing World Line Motors to touch my coach.  I did leave a message with Bernd and asked him to call me about this problem.  No response as of yet. 

George
George Hatfield

Reply #16
George you might Try TUROLLA  they are the wholesaler of the hydraulic motor it took me 3 months to get mine but supposedly they are back on line
Call Trerri Turpen at 515-239-6554
or email at tturpen@turollaocg.com
Give her the numbers off the motor and she should be able to help you
My pump was the SHM2/22 C002
The 2 motors are the same but one has the valve body attached.  Turolla does not do the valve body but supposedly
Dynamatic of Mequon WI  does that part person there is Chris Zainer Ph. 262-292-8103. I have not dealt with Dynamatic, Terri just told me that is who made the valve body.  Motor without valve body was $357 plus tax total was  $389.61
BTW the overhaul kit is about 100.00 but the bottom seal is available for under $10.00
The seal is 20mm. id. X  30mm. od X  7mm thick  I got 3 C/R brand off eBay for $10.00 with free shipping
I personally would not buy the seal kit again unless the other seals are leaking--Just me!
If you need any more info PM me and Ill try to help!
Good Luck
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #17
I hate dirt. I build my transmissions and engines on a glass table bench top .  No reason for a leak if the shaft is true.
    Often if I see a small groove, the standard op is to move the seal  one way of the other to not run on the worn part of the shaft .

There are plenty of shaft repair sleeves  to address this also.

Reply #18
Chris and Mike...  thanks for the info.  See the attached for the number off my leaking motor. 

The current motor is from a different source (see attached).  Unfortunately, I need the one with the thermo valve.  Buying the valve body seperately is beyond my "pay grade" so to speak.  I bought the seal (same one used at Bernd's) from Amazon...  National Seal 222025 when I was thinking about just replacing the seal. 

George
George Hatfield

Reply #19
Send me your old ones.  I'll take a peek .

Reply #20
George, if time permits take old one apart and see what the shaft is like and replace the seal if it is good. That really is all that is needed. Look with a magnifying glass as any damage only needs to microscopic. I used to rebuild jet engines on HCopters and diesel engines so do know what will work and not. I may have to do mine fairly soon and will sure not throw money away if not needing to.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #21
Forgot what the process is called but we had a machinest that would put the shaft in a lathe and spray molten metal on the grove
to repair it.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #22
Yep, we did that too and it was "chroming" a shaft in the old days.
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #23
What diameter shaft are we talking about?  Do they make shaft repair sleeves small enough to work in this application?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #24
Sometimes you can take the seal in and they can match one from it.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.