Skip to main content

Topic: Ride Issues (Read 549 times) previous topic - next topic

PapaG and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Ride Issues
Thursday went to a rally and no issues.  On the way home I noticed the coach pulling slightly to the right.  I also noticed the Travel Mode buzzer would quickly sound every once in a while.  As I focused on the issue I learned the it would sound...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Ride Issues
Reply #1
Don't overlook loose wires, plugs, grounds, etc. since it seems to happen on a bump.
Is the pressure varying or dropping when this occurs?

Reply #2
I would sure CHECK ride height.

Then, get out your safety stands and soapy solution and check for air leaks at 6 packs as well as ride height valves and air bags.

Consider air dryer replacement/major rebuild as very good Preventive Maintenance. ...

Reply #3
If you don't know when the air dryer was last replaced then you run the risk of it leaving you stranded without warning. (Yes, I know by personal experience.) I strongly recommend installing a remanufactured unit.

Reply #4
Don't overlook loose wires, plugs, grounds, etc. since it seems to happen on a bump.
Is the pressure varying or dropping when this occurs?
Yes it does, but comes right up. 

I'm on a level site.  I...

Reply #5
Rough roads knocked my ride height valves  out of adjustment.  I have an entirely different system .

Reply #6
Lowered coach all the way down and started it up and let come to travel mode.  There was a few times it struggled to go into travel mode because of the right side.  When I raised the right side a little it went into travel  mode.  Below is a...

Reply #7
John,

If those are bag measurements (8" is factory spec), I would agree, you have a problem.  Since there is only a single ride height valve in front, there is SOME "averaging"-- rare for each side to be exactly the same.  But, normally you can...

Reply #8
John,

Remember that having the "TRAVEL" light ON does not tell you anything about what the air bags are actually doing.  The "TRAVEL" light only means the leveling system is OFF, and the air compressor has built sufficient system air pressure to...

Reply #9
I was on the phone with Red Tractor.  He feels the right front travel solenoid is not working and all the lifting is being do on the left front.  It will go up manually but not in travel mode.  Attached is my part of my air schematic.  There are...

Reply #10
Manifold layout.

Reply #11
Thanks Chuck,
I learned I have the 600 Series.  The top right solenoid is the travel solenoid for the right front air bags.  From BeamAlarm the solenoid number is RAP1940 and the replacement coil is RAP90568.  Is it best to replace the entire...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
John,I have a used rap1940 that the PO removed,don't know if it's good I can send it to you to try it.

Reply #13
John,

Before you start replacing things, did you try the trouble shooting steps in the manual I linked?  They should lead you to recommended solutions, depending on the results.

Or, being a man of action, you could try swapping the left and right...

Reply #14
John,I have a used rap1940 that the PO removed,don't know if it's good I can send it to you to try it.
Thanks for the offer.  I did get your voicemail.  Just been very busy troubleshooting the...

Reply #15
John,

Before you start replacing things, did you try the trouble shooting steps in the manual I linked?  They should lead you to recommended solutions, depending on the results.

Or, being a...

Reply #16
John,

Now that you have a lead on the ride height solenoid let me give a thought about the light and buzzer alarming.

With you traveling on a wavy road it may be nothing more than the 2 rear ride height valves trying to add and dump air faster...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Not to
Muddy the water, your bag measurements should be made at rear bags on the front and the rear bags on the back, if memory serves me.  The back looks fine. I'm at a loss on the front measurement. It would seem to me if you had a failed...

Reply #18
Not to
Muddy the water, your bag measurements should be made at rear bags on the front and the rear bags on the back, if memory serves me. 

Ya, that question came up a week or so ago (as to which...

Reply #19
Mike, right now the right front air bags are not coming up in travel mode.  The left front is over compensating.  I can raise it manually. Tomorrow I will follow the trouble shooting procedure and check the fuses in the box and check for power to...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Brett, you are right now that I think about it. The bags closest to the suspension mounting points to the frame/ body make sense.
  • Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 07:32:45 am by bbeane

Reply #21
Issue resolved.  Studied the trouble shooting procedures last night.  No blown travel fuse, had power at the travel solenoids and one coil had very high resistance reading.  My assumption was that was my solenoid.  Great and simple advice to...

Reply #22
Well I installed the coil today and the coach came up as it should.  I measured the coach height on the front bags of the rear and the rear bags of the front.  I made the gauge Barry shows in BeamAlarm to the 8" dimension and notched out a 1/4"...

Reply #23
Just a tidbit, I know I am preaching to some of the choir.
Anyone having this issue, be careful, I split my windshield from top to bottom because of a bad ride height solenoid.
You need to carry one of two with you at all times.
I lost one in the...

Reply #24
Just a tidbit, I know I am preaching to some of the choir.
Anyone having this issue, be careful, I split my windshield from top to bottom because of a bad ride height solenoid.
You need to carry...