Skip to main content
Topic: Air Pump and lights (Read 624 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Pump and lights

Well, we just left Fog Doc and we are spending the night at Chris and Elka Lang.  Can't say enough about these two people and so knowledgeable.  Chris can do it all.  Now to the issue;  we noticed last night that the air pump came on early this morning.  Now, while sitting at Chris and Elka's, it is coming on about every 10 to 15 minutes.  Air gauges are dropping down to around 75-80 and then airing back up.  That seems like an excessive leak and we have new air bags on this coach that were installed last year.  Guess we will be crawling under the rig in the morning with soap/water spray bottle in hand.
Any other ideas on where to start would be most appreciated.  Hopefully, getting a good night sleep tonight.
Oh, question on the headlights with the new mod:  we can't get the inside two lights to work.  Any other switch we don't know about.  When we hit high beams, really can't see any difference.  Is that were the high beams are suppose to be?  Ah, the issues with a new to us!
Thanks in advance for any help on this!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Re: Air Pump and lights

Reply #1
Congrats on the new coach! Be sure to block it up safely before you go under It.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #2
You are leaking a lot of air somewhere.  Don't automatically assume it is the air bags if they have been working properly for a year.  The slide seal is another possible source of leaks.  I'll let someone with more knowledge comment since we don't have a slide.  Here is a recent thread where slide bladder leaks are discussed:

How to inspect the seal on the slider

Do you have the HWH Auto Level turned on?  If the coach is parked in a fairly level spot, you could turn off the Auto Level and see if the air pump continues to cycle on and off.  If it does, then the leak is most likely not in the leveling system.

If you have the Owner's Manual for your HWH leveling system, it should contain a trouble shooting section.

Can't help with the headlight question.  Call whoever installed the updated lights and ask them?
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
With that size leak, your EARS should lead you to the culprit.

Does the same leak occur when you have run the engine and built pressure to CUT-OUT PSI?  If so, easier to hear a leak at 120 PSI than 70 PSI.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
With that size leak, your EARS should lead you to the culprit.

Does the same leak occur when you have run the engine and built pressure to CUT-OUT PSI?  If so, easier to hear a leak at 120 PSI than 70 PSI.

Brett; Did not check it with engine running, but on the way over to Chris, gauges were showing fine.  it is raining here right now, so unable to get out under the coach.  I actually push the off button on the HWH (leveling system) on dash and leak is still happening.  The slide seal was replaced last year.  Was thinking maybe an airline broke or came loose?
Looks like it will rain all day here, so stuck with listening to the air pump run and then shut off for 15-20 minutes and start again!  While at MOT, we stayed in the coach for 3 days and no issues with air.  When we traveled to Fog Doc, early the next morning, we heard the air system kick on, but only once.  When we arrived at Chris Lang's home, it started on a regular bases.  Hoping between Chris and I, we can solve this issue.  Thanks to all for responding and will be looking through the HWH pages today.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #5
...stuck with listening to the air pump run and then shut off for 15-20 minutes and start again!
If the circuit breaker for the pump is "indoors" on your coach, you could disconnect one wire and "kill" the pump until the rain stops.

On our old coach, the HWH compressor CB is on a panel in the main storage bay, so I would need to go outside and get wet.  :'(
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #6
Did you by chance leave the switch for the slide in the position that deflates it for extend/retract?
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #7
Did you by chance leave the switch for the slide in the position that deflates it for extend/retract?

No Dan, checked that and with the rain we are experincing now, it most likely would be pouring in.  However, one side note, the air leak has slowed way down.  Not sure why, but wife is glad to not hear the pump.  Maybe a valve body got stuck and is finally starting to close?  Just guessing at this point in time.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

Reply #8
Recently I noticed that the white air pressure needle was moving faster than the red one. As I was setting up, Jo Ann asked what the hissing from the front of the coach was. Hissing??? Went up front, and sure enough, air was rushing out of something. When I crawled underneath I found it. One of the tank drains was leaking air - the white one. A little wiggling and the hissing stopped.

Reply #9
Recently I noticed that the white air pressure needle was moving faster than the red one. As I was setting up, Jo Ann asked what the hissing from the front of the coach was. Hissing??? Went up front, and sure enough, air was rushing out of something. When I crawled underneath I found it. One of the tank drains was leaking air - the white one. A little wiggling and the hissing stopped.

I am hoping it will be that easy, but man, have we had some rain!  Hopefully will end late tonight and we can head back toward Nashville tomorrow!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Our coach " Maxine"
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66