Skip to main content

Topic: Battery Cable Connectors (Read 464 times) previous topic - next topic

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Battery Cable Connectors
I've got two post type start batteries which are connected together with 7" cables. Each of these cables has a second post type connector. It's kind of a rink way of doing it. I'd like to get some better connects, make up new cables to join the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Battery Cable Connectors
Reply #1
Would something like this help?

Amazon.com: Military Spec Battery Terminal Top Post Kit for Car Boat Marine...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Have you tried O'Reilly's or one of the other large parts stores? My coach has three start batteries, and the old connectors were showing their age, so I got new ones from the O'Reilly's store down the street. I just took in the old ones and they...

Reply #3
Texas Starter and Alternator has a selection of battery post connectors.  Maybe other starter/alternator shops do too.

Reply #4
By the way, I think with 2 paralleled batteries the positive and negative main cables are not supposed to be connected to the same battery.  Connected to the same battery, that battery will get used more than the second battery, also it gets...

Reply #5
Craneman's connectors are the way to go if possible but may require short cables to be made up to link the batteries. I like to replace the steel hardware with stainless. Not much extra but they don't corrode away.

Pierce

Reply #6
On both battery banks, we have switched to separate military terminals for each post. I think many are familiar with them.

Our idea of separate terminals is not better than the original all-in-one battery cable where several terminals are...

Reply #7
Berry,

The original all-in-one cable is OK and ours is done this way. The two problems with it are, at least in my case, I had in Yellowstone at 17 degrees and 8000 feet.  I melted one of the terminals starting the coach. This was without block...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
OK Barry, where did you get them??

Reply #9
OK Barry, where did you get them??
Reply one, is where I got them.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Thanks to all.

Connectors: I'll probably go with the suggested military spec although I still hope to find a heavier duty one like I have on my coach battery. I checked out the Texas joint but their web site doesn't offer much information. My...

Reply #11
I purchased 2 from Yuma, ARIZONA  Napa last November.  They had to order in from Los Angeles. About 3 days wait.

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
I purchased 2 from Yuma

Tom, that's what I have now. I think for my purpose the milspec will be better. Thanks.
jor

Reply #13
Amazon

Reply #14
Barry,
What is the difference in the first and second picture.  They look very much alike.  Can't really tell the difference from the picture.
Jerry

Reply #15
The likely way Pierce's cable terminal melted is was not a good connection and had high resistance.

Reply #16

Reply #17
John,
Rather than connecting all those cables to a battery terminal, you might consider using something like this:
BEP Marinco Pro Installer 50V, Single Stud w/ Power Tapping Plate
Similar to what FOT had on ours originally, but with a cover. Not as...

• nitehawk
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Me, being a bit Rube Goldberg (and anal) needed to keep our batteries in one place because the "bin" under the steps has no way of inhibiting movement.
So I took some 3/4" copper tubing/pipe, mashed it flat and used battery terminal post clamps...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Rather than connecting all those cables to a battery terminal, you might consider using something like this:

I'm liking this. Might just do it. Lot cleaner. Thanks.
jor

Reply #20
John,
BEP Marinco Pro Installer 50V, Single Stud w/ Power Tapping Plate
Similar to what...

Reply #21
Jerry, pic 1 & 2 are similar, and I prefer and use the 1st, and carry spares. To me the 1st is bulkier and feels sturdier. Shared personal opinion and what we use.

BTW, instead of using 0000 cables between military terminals, a bar of metal could...

Reply #22
John, If you use separate military terminals, you will find they can be orientated 90-degrees from your current terminals, with connecting bolt running coach front to back. This may offer different options for connecting all your cables. You may...

• jor
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #23
John, If you use separate military terminals, you will find they can be orientated 90-degrees from your current terminals,

That's the way I'm going. I've got cable and ends to make up the batt joining cables. I ordered the milspec terminals...

Reply #24
Joe if I'm not mistaken the house battery in the picture has a nickel coated copper terminal. It carries more amps than lead and don't break down as quickly.  The cable can be soldered on with silver solder or they can be crimped.
I have gotten...