Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Cable Connectors (Read 881 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery Cable Connectors

I've got two post type start batteries which are connected together with 7" cables. Each of these cables has a second post type connector. It's kind of a rink way of doing it. I'd like to get some better connects, make up new cables to join the batteries and connect the coach cables directly like I did on the coach batteries. Here's are photos of the connector on my coach batteries and the start battery mess. I'm looking for this or something similar. Not interested in doing a buss right now. Where can a guy get these? Thanks.
jor

Re: Battery Cable Connectors

Reply #1

Would something like this help?

Amazon.com: Military Spec Battery Terminal Top Post Kit for Car Boat Marine...

1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #2
Have you tried O'Reilly's or one of the other large parts stores? My coach has three start batteries, and the old connectors were showing their age, so I got new ones from the O'Reilly's store down the street. I just took in the old ones and they were able to order the right replacements. Got them the next day, as I recall.

Reply #3
Texas Starter and Alternator has a selection of battery post connectors.  Maybe other starter/alternator shops do too.
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #4
By the way, I think with 2 paralleled batteries the positive and negative main cables are not supposed to be connected to the same battery.  Connected to the same battery, that battery will get used more than the second battery, also it gets charged a little more.  When I bought my coach the main cables were connected to the same battery. 
Jerry Whiteaker former owner 96 U270  36' #4831 Austin,TX-Owner Mods LCD TV w/front cabinet rebuild - LCD TV bedroom - Dual Central AC, either can cool coach w 30 amp - Skylights at roof AC openings - Drop ceiling for ducting of AC - Shower skylight white gelcoat/wood/epoxy frame - Air Springs/Shocks replaced - 2014 CRV - 8K Home Solar - Chevy Volt

Reply #5
Craneman's connectors are the way to go if possible but may require short cables to be made up to link the batteries. I like to replace the steel hardware with stainless. Not much extra but they don't corrode away.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #6
On both battery banks, we have switched to separate military terminals for each post. I think many are familiar with them.

Our idea of separate terminals is not better than the original all-in-one battery cable where several terminals are permanently attached to one cable. To me, the only reason to exchange the single cable with built-in automotive post connectors for separate automotive connectors is:

• All automotive connectors are made of soft lead-like material that over time 'stretches' or 'wears-out' in some way, sometimes cracking. And all these issues reduce the conductivity of the soft connector to the battery tapered post.
    • And because they are part of the single long cable, one tends to keep using these worn terminals.
    • With our single terminals, when one just looks bad, we can swap it out for a new spare terminal, and better insure good connections on all battery posts.
    • No other reason.

• So, if the single cable's terminals are in great shape, keep on using it, but when any one of them breaks, the fix becomes more difficult.
    • We had 0000 cables made to loosely fit between batteries of a bank, bolted to our military terminals

BTW, John's start battery's bottom terminal (photo below) is exactly what is wrong with all-in-one cables, as the terminal is already crushed and still being used.  If that had happened to military terminal, it would be a 5-minute inexpensive repair.

A long bolt through the terminal will connect all cables.

We also connect our motorhome cables to opposite ends of battery banks.

First photo is the ONLY style of terminals that we use:

We carry a few spares so we never have to buy a similar more available style shown in the second photo.

Reply #7
Berry,

The original all-in-one cable is OK and ours is done this way. The two problems with it are, at least in my case, I had in Yellowstone at 17 degrees and 8000 feet.  I melted one of the terminals starting the coach. This was without block heater (went out) plus no heated screen on a Detroit. In addition, the all-in-one does not have the optimum current flow to possibly utilize all three start batteries equally. Not sure this makes any difference in real life.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #8
OK Barry, where did you get them??
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #9
OK Barry, where did you get them??
Reply one, is where I got them.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #10
Thanks to all.

Connectors: I'll probably go with the suggested military spec although I still hope to find a heavier duty one like I have on my coach battery. I checked out the Texas joint but their web site doesn't offer much information. My positive terminal has six cables attached (B1, B5, B15, filter heater, Trimetric & alternator sense). The negative has B2, an extra B2 ground and a cutoff switch with a 1/2" thick copper strap. Anyhow, probably end up with the military type with a long bolt as suggested.

Connection Point: That's a great idea. I always connect the coach batts on opposite ends but for some reason I've kept the factory setup for the start batts. I'll fix that this time.

Connect Cables: I'll make up my own 4 ot cables.

My Sorry Looking Terminal: That's what got me thinking about this. I was replacing the original toad connector and was hooking up a 12v test light to the start battery. I grabbed the cable and it slipped right off! Good eye, Barry! I had to file the terminal quite a bit to get it to tighten.
jor

Reply #11
I purchased 2 from Yuma, ARIZONA  Napa last November.  They had to order in from Los Angeles. About 3 days wait.
Tom Shannon
Ham Radio W7OT
1996 u295 (SOLD)
2007 Kia Spectra Ex 5spd (kiki)
Now in Apt

Reply #12
I purchased 2 from Yuma

Tom, that's what I have now. I think for my purpose the milspec will be better. Thanks.
jor

Reply #13
Amazon

Reply #14
Barry,
What is the difference in the first and second picture.  They look very much alike.  Can't really tell the difference from the picture.
Jerry
Jerry & Nanci
1999 U270 34'WTFI
2011 Malibu
A smart man knows what to say, a wise man knows when to say it.

Reply #15
The likely way Pierce's cable terminal melted is was not a good connection and had high resistance.

Reply #17
John,
Rather than connecting all those cables to a battery terminal, you might consider using something like this:
BEP Marinco Pro Installer 50V, Single Stud w/ Power Tapping Plate
Similar to what FOT had on ours originally, but with a cover. Not as good as a busbar setup, but easier to implement. Just make up a heavy duty single cable to go from this post in the link (or similar) to the battery connector of your choice, since you plan on making your own connecting cables.
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #18
Me, being a bit Rube Goldberg (and anal) needed to keep our batteries in one place because the "bin" under the steps has no way of inhibiting movement.
So I took some 3/4" copper tubing/pipe, mashed it flat and used battery terminal post clamps with the additional threaded stud sticking straight up.
Batteries stay put and with all that copper acting like a solid copper bar I had very good conductivity.
Sorry, no pictures. Coach is in storage and the batteries are in our garage on a shelf hooked to trickle chargers plugged into a timer.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #19
Rather than connecting all those cables to a battery terminal, you might consider using something like this:

I'm liking this. Might just do it. Lot cleaner. Thanks.
jor

Reply #20
John,
BEP Marinco Pro Installer 50V, Single Stud w/ Power Tapping Plate
Similar to what FOT had on ours originally, but with a cover. Not as good as a busbar setup, but easier to implement. Just make up a heavy duty single cable to go from this post in the link (or similar) to the battery connector of your choice, since you plan on making your own connecting cables.
Don
Looks great! Lots of interesting products in the marine world!
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #21
Jerry, pic 1 & 2 are similar, and I prefer and use the 1st, and carry spares. To me the 1st is bulkier and feels sturdier. Shared personal opinion and what we use.

BTW, instead of using 0000 cables between military terminals, a bar of metal could also be used to parallel connect batteries bolted to the same military terminals.

Reply #22
John, If you use separate military terminals, you will find they can be orientated 90-degrees from your current terminals, with connecting bolt running coach front to back. This may offer different options for connecting all your cables. You may also consider connecting low amp draw devices to other connectors, as they not likely make a difference for the 'balanced load' thinking.

Reply #23
John, If you use separate military terminals, you will find they can be orientated 90-degrees from your current terminals,

That's the way I'm going. I've got cable and ends to make up the batt joining cables. I ordered the milspec terminals and nifty stud deal that Don mentioned. Should be good to go in a couple of days. I'll probably do a nice buss one of these days but for now this will be a big improvement.
jor

Reply #24
Joe if I'm not mistaken the house battery in the picture has a nickel coated copper terminal. It carries more amps than lead and don't break down as quickly.  The cable can be soldered on with silver solder or they can be crimped.
I have gotten them in the past for tractors at tractor supply --Probably any major farm supply store

Battery Cable Ends Copper Top Post Terminal Connectors Kit w Solder Slug Pellet. E bay
Chris

1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR