Skip to main content
Topic: How to fill fresh water tank?  (Read 819 times) previous topic - next topic

How to fill fresh water tank?

Ok so I can't seem to figure out how to fill my fresh water tank on my 2000 u270. I'm sure I'm missing something but can't seem to find anything on forums any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Re: How to fill fresh water tank?

Reply #1
Look on the bottom shelf of the bathroom vanity cabinet. See a valve handle there? That is the manual water fill valve. Only in the open position while filling. The water pump must be off while filling.
Don
The selected media item is not currently available.
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #2
So if the hose is hooked up outside to water supply you just open this valve? Will it shut off by itself or will it allow it to overflow if I leave it open?
Darren and Chris
2000 Foretravel U270

Reply #3
It is a manual fill valve, and there is an overflow/tank vent in front of the passenger side drive wheel that will drain down on top of the bulkhead joint, so you should monitor the fill to make sure that doesn't happen! Also, avoid filling the fresh tank completely when you are preparing to leave for a trip, or water will slosh out on left hand turns. Search on fresh water overflow and you will find numerous posts on redirecting the overflow.
Don
Don & Tys
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #4
I'm new to the U320 as well.  I'm glad you asked that question.  So the water pump should be engaged only after shutting off the manual fill valve?
Charlie and Jennifer Sawyer, et. al.
2000 U320 M-4010 #5625
2015 Rubicon

Reply #5
I'm new to the U320 as well.  I'm glad you asked that question.  So the water pump should be engaged only after shutting off the manual fill valve?
That's correct. The pump will run continuously while filling and so leave it off until finished filling.
David and Carolyn Osborn
1995 U320C SE 40' Build 4726 Feb 1995
FMCA 147762
Motorcade 17186

Reply #6
The 320's of your year probably came equipped with a solenoid operated fill valve and perhaps even an auto shut off mechanism. If you have switch for filling (in the wet bay and maybe inside the coach as well), then it has the electric valve. That info should be in your manuals that should have come with your coach.
Don

Don & Tys

Reply #7
Look on the bottom shelf of the bathroom vanity cabinet. See a valve handle there?

That's the way mine is too (270). This has got to take the prize the goofiest setup for a very common task. You might consider installing a direct fill on your water tank and then you can forget all about that valve. Lots of great posts on how to do it.
jor

Reply #8
I think 2000 U320 has electric water fill valve but no auto shutoff so watch the tank level just like on the U270. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

Reply #9

If you have an electric solenoid actuated fill valve you can add an automatic shutoff to it to stop filling the fresh water tank at a level  you choose.  If you have a manual fill valve it is not hard to swap it for a solenoid valve.  If you have a factory fill shutoff valve the does not work this will also work. 

You can also use these to sense a low water condition. With two sensors and a motorized ball valve (below) you can have an automated fill system that isolates the coach from city water pressure when not filling, just like a Prevost.

Water Fill Valve Auto Shut-off

Sometimes the level sensors are hard to find.  This kit has a couple extra parts. 

Amazon.com: TouchSensor 100600442-01 SensaLevel Ultra Single Sensor: Gateway

This is just the sensor.
LevelGuard Tank Monitor 100 Switch [Z160TSRK] | eBay

Here is an interesting alternative to a solenoid valve.  Uses low power to open or to close otherwise none or very little power (for indicator lights).  One without lights is a couple bucks less.
Amazon.com: Motorized Ball Valve- 1/2" Stainless Steel Electrical Ball Valve...

Or a solenoid valve...
1/2" Stainless Steel Electric Solenoid Valve 12V DC Normally Closed:...