Skip to main content
Topic: Steering (Read 1989 times) previous topic - next topic

Steering

I shot this video on  a good stretch of I-35 with just a light wind from behind me.

is this excessive working the steering wheel to stay in my lane?  I am focusing about a 1/4 mile down the road.

VIDEO
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Re: Steering

Reply #1
Yes, unless there is a lot of gusty side wind, that is too much working of the steering wheel.

First, verify that nothing in the steering is loose.  Takes 2 minutes with a helper.  Engine off, have helper work the steering wheel left/right back and forth while you check for play from column all the way to right front wheel.

May be  worth checking front wheel bearings for excessive freeplay-- it takes a dial indicator.

The Sheppard M100 box DOES have more "slop" than many.  Redhead in Washington state does blueprint them to remove much of it.

THEN, instead of "driving"  try to "aim it".  Said another way, let it wander a little and you just correct if it gets too far off course.  Said another way look way further down the road.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Yep that's too much! Get your wallet out.  :)

Mine used to be like that and after alignments, new torque rod bushings, preloading the bearings, blueprinted steering gear, and a few tie rod ends thrown in I'm down to about a 10th of what I'm seeing in the video. The sad part is I'm still not happy. I have about 1/4" play and it makes me cranky.

see ya
ken   
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #3
Has anyone seen up close or used that $1000 device used to set the wheel bearings yet??
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #4
Yes, unless there is a lot of gusty side wind, that is too much working of the steering wheel.

First, verify that nothing in the steering is loose.  Takes 2 minutes with a helper.  Engine off, have helper work the steering wheel left/right back and forth while you check for play from column all the way to right front wheel.

May be  worth checking front wheel bearings for excessive freeplay-- it takes a dial indicator.

The Sheppard M100 box DOES have more "slop" than many.  Redhead in Washington state does blueprint them to remove much of it.

THEN, instead of "driving"  try to "aim it".  Said another way, let it wander a little and you just correct if it gets too far off course.  Said another way look way further down the road.
Thanks Brett, I do aim it down the road that is why I focus about a 1/4 mile and just try to keep my left foot over the left track.

If Tim can get a deal setup with RedHead or MOT I will do that and they can put that in and check the bearings and alignment at the same time.
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #5
Steve, we are experincy the same issues with our coach.  Flat wears me out!  Our '98 was rock solid and never had this much play.  Going to find a truck service center that specializes in front ends as we are in TN now and will be heading up the east coast this summer.  May stop in Alcoa and have them check the front end!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #6
If you need too rice tire in Winchester VA off I81 does front end work but hope you can find one in TN.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #7
Ken my X Foretravel dealer mechanic mentioned "clocking" the u joints in the steering column at different rotational positions to reduce the inherent play in the early coaches.

Foretravel made a "brace" at some point in the early uhihomes model run to help  this issue.

Yes the 1/4" is noticeable.

Janes T should be able to help with info.

The dead spot was a customer complaint on many not all coaches.  Some had it. Some did not.  That's why Vincent and the Texas staff came around the the offset steering column " bearings" or u joints.

May be visible if you hold the front tires against something hard and work the wheel back and forth and see what does't transmit the inputs.

I got mine down to the wheel bearings.

If not the box would go to straight line engineering for a for sure  blueprint. 

You said dead spot.  Tires do not do that so I did not ask about them.

Interesting to know if James knows anything about this.  If not I will ask my friend who fixed these back then if your 02 would be helped by this.

According to him my 97 is the first year Foretravel  moved the steering box over for the wide body box. 

Apparently the boxes were located the same as the narrow bodies and the drag link  arm was at an angle going from the Pittman arm to the axle. 

If I do not have the description correct do not critique me as Vincent mentioned this in passing to me when he first worked on my 97.

Tie rod ends wear quickly.  Check for play?  A shot of grease may help any wear.

Hope this info is of help. Vincent used to rotate the columns parts and road test.  Then rotate if again. Normally one position was better than the others.  Did a lot of this testing personally through aug 89 when I left...
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #8
I shot this video on  a good stretch of I-35 with just a light wind from behind me.

is this excessive working the steering wheel to stay in my lane?  I am focusing about a 1/4 mile down the road.

VIDEO

There's a lot going on here starting with the lack of rack and pinion steering.  My chassis has a solid front axle with king pins. 
Now over the last four decades I've logged many miles driving long distance in automobiles from the 1940s and early 1950s, and I learned to find the ruts worn in the pavement by the traffic and allow the wheels to follow.  Now on my way into Macon, GA in the Rockwood there was one whoop-dee-do where the pavement had been crudely patched and I vividly remember even though many years ago an interesting series of oscillations when the track of the 1948 Chrysler didn't match the pavement wear.

Yes, you should have the steering gear inspected, but maybe if all checks out you just need to relax.  One of the many reasons for sending my partner to Texas to purchase our new home was for him to be alone for the drive back.  My heart isn't in the best of condition and sometimes it's easier to learn the characteristics of a vehicle with a rear engine when you're alone.  Call it enlightened self interest.

Try not to steer so often, yes it sounds like a facile statement but driving a heavy vehicle is a dance between you and the machine.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #10
Steve yes too much movement.  I barely turn my wheel.  Slight pressure is all I need.  That's tiring
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #11
Steve yes too much movement.  I barely turn my wheel.  Slight pressure is all I need.  That's tiring
I dont get so tired, I have done several 600 mile days going to and from NC but I just dont dare take my eyes off the road as it only takes a second or tow to start changing lanes.  I started driving heavy loads in the mid 60's driving a 49 GMC cab over with 420 Bu (25,200 lbs) of wheat.  that particular stretch of road was concrete and no wheel ruts and just a slight tail wind.  you should see in on a asphalt road with worn tracks and a cross wind "LOL"
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #12
I don't get so tired, I have done several 600 mile days going to and from NC but I just don't dare take my eyes off the road as it only takes a second or two to start changing lanes.  I started driving heavy loads in the mid 60's driving a 49 GMC cab over with 420 Bu (25,200 lbs) of wheat.  that particular stretch of road was concrete and no wheel ruts and just a slight tail wind.  You should see in on a asphalt road with worn tracks and a cross wind "LOL"

Sorry when I offend people who do have knowledge and experience, it's just in my trade I found it safer to assume the other person is an idiot.  In person I can watch the other person's eyes for that tell tale deer in headlights moment that tells me I've lost them.

FWIW I once was witness to the center steering link falling out of a '54 Cadillac Limousine as it pulled off the road.  Inspecting the suspension is never a bad idea.
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #13
Check the universal joint in the steering column.  A small amount of wear/play translates to a lot of steering wheel movement. Inexpensive to replace.  Another Forum person suggested to me to increase the toe-in by 1/16" to 1/8" (reduce the distance between the front of the steer tires compared to the distance at the rear of the steer tires).  This assumes the alignment is OK to start with.

I think some of this is driver related.  Drive towards a point 3-400 yards ahead of you if you can see it.  Leave 5 seconds or more of space ahead of you especially following trucks where there is much more turbulent air.  That is 440 ft at 60 mph.  Watch for the vehicle in front to pass a sign or marker on the side of the road.  You should be able to slowly count to five before you get there.

Strong side winds and front quartering winds seem to make for a more active driving day. For me.  Susan is a more active steerer than I am in general. 

Reply #14
A lot of these old Foretravels wander. I've had Foretravel align a couple of them with poor results. I think the advice on increasing the toe is good and would show noticeable improvement. You just need to find a good front end shop and I'm betting they will straighten you out. Good luck.
jor

Reply #15
Everything in the steering and suspension has some ware on a 20+ year old coach. King pins, steering box, wheel bearing adj., steering shaft play, tire pressure, tie rod and drag links, and more. A good heavy truck alignment shop should be able to identify and and replace worn components. It's just a matter of how much $$$ and time you are willing to
Put in it. If I where running constantly back and forth across the country, rather the moving 3-400 miles every week or two, I would pay more attention to it. At the end of the day its still a big plastic box we are trying to herd down the road in a straight line.
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 1260 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #16
I posted a good video about front end alignment a while back.  It said dont measure the tow on the alignment rack, drive it froward on flat ground, coast to a stop, then measure it.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #17
Check the universal joint in the steering column.  A small amount of wear/play translates to a lot of steering wheel movement. Inexpensive to replace.  Another Forum person suggested to me to increase the toe-in by 1/16" to 1/8" (reduce the distance between the front of the steer tires compared to the distance at the rear of the steer tires).  This assumes the alignment is OK to start with.

I think some of this is driver related.  Drive towards a point 3-400 yards ahead of you if you can see it.  Leave 5 seconds or more of space ahead of you especially following trucks where there is much more turbulent air.  That is 440 ft at 60 mph.  Watch for the vehicle in front to pass a sign or marker on the side of the road.  You should be able to slowly count to five before you get there.

Strong side winds and front quartering winds seem to make for a more active driving day. For me.  Susan is a more active steerer than I am in general. 
As a Iron Butt Rider I watch from as far as I can see back to about 1/4 mile so I have plenty of reaction time.  I learned the hard one once you go where you look "LOL"

I tried to check the knuckle by my self and it felt snug but the whole shaft has some slack in it.  I have close to 150K on it now and I see where some folks start changing out their steering box at about that point.

If I am going to change out the box I will do that first then have everything else set to the new box so I dont have to pay for it twice, I hope :-)
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #18
Everything in the steering and suspension has some ware on a 20+ year old coach. King pins, steering box, wheel bearing adj., steering shaft play, tire pressure, tie rod and drag links, and more. A good heavy truck alignment shop should be able to identify and and replace worn components. It's just a matter of how much $$$ and time you are willing to
Put in it. If I where running constantly back and forth across the country, rather the moving 3-400 miles every week or two, I would pay more attention to it. At the end of the day its still a big plastic box we are trying to herd down the road in a straight line.
I have tried to check all the steering linkage by hand by myself but I realize that is not the best way but it all does feel tight as I cant wiggle any of it but it is had to tell with 12K setting on the suspension "LOL"
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #19

I tried to check the knuckle by my self and it felt snug but the whole shaft has some slack in it.  I have close to 150K on it now and I see where some folks start changing out their steering box at about that point.

Redhead says they rebuild a Foretravel box about once a week.  I think the 1997-2003 years of Sheppard boxes are a bad run. Way too many people have had too much play in theirs.  Trucks go a million miles and never replace a steering box.
1998 U270 34'

Reply #21
I have tried to check all the steering linkage by hand by myself but I realize that is not the best way but it all does feel tight as I cant wiggle any of it but it is had to tell with 12K setting on the suspension "LOL"

You can do a lot of that checking yourself with jack stands and a jack, or even your chassis leveling system and jack stands.  But once again a helper "helps."
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
N1RPN

Reply #22
A very simple first corrective action, after verifying no loose parts is simply to add some toe  in.  Basically, loosen two locking ends on track bar, put a pipe wrench  on it and rotate it about 1/4 turn. Then retighten the locking ends. Having a non independent front end makes this very simple as both wheels are adjusted when you change the track bar. The change should be readily apparent on a test drive after.  Possibly this will solve your problem. If not it's easy enough to reset to original, just reverse the process.
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #23
Thanks Chuck, I will give that a try.  ^.^d
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #24
Give it a try.    You'll need to look at the track bar and see which direction  to turn it.  The goal is to get the  front of the tires closer together the rear of the tires spread apart.  As I recall, looking at the end of the track bar from passenger side, you would rotate it clockwise but verify this.  It's been years since I did it, possibly others can comment. 
"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS