Skip to main content

Topic: How to repair your Dometic 4 button thermostat (Read 2017 times) previous topic - next topic

How to repair your Dometic 4 button thermostat
For those with thermostats that still work but don't respond to buttons well, here's the fix, no soldering required. 

It would take multiple button pushes to get my thermostat to switch mode, and it got frustrating.  I've heard of disassembling...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:47:59 am by Chuck Pearson

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: How to repair your Dometic 4 button thermostat
Reply #1
Chuck,, it shows 23mm on the website under that part # and they are soldered???
John H

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
I did mine a few years back, took the t/stat apart cleaned it, and if my memory serves me correctly, turned the contacts over. As Chuck said the contacts and springs are SMALL, I put mine on a white pillow case make the little parts easier to...

Reply #3

Chuck,, it shows 23mm on the website under that part # and they are soldered???
John H

Good catch John, they are 23mm.  They have pins on them for soldering into a circuit board but you won't...

Reply #4
My switches were acting eratic and I sprayed the contacts with corrision x and they are acting normal for now. Thanks for the repair procedure, if they act up again I will try your repair.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
same here Chuck, I took them apart as you said and using a fine brush justgave the contacts a touch with Corrosion X and all is good now. I bought 2 cans when we were at Xtreme and I only have 1 left. Good stuff and will have to see if I can get...

Reply #6

same here Chuck, I took them apart as you said and using a fine brush justgave the contacts a touch with Corrosion X and all is good now. I bought 2 cans when we were at Xtreme and I only...

Reply #7
Howdy Chuck,

I recently ordered these switches from Mouser.  Replaced contacts following your intstructions..
Thermostat works like new. We sure were getting tired of pounding on the controller!!.Its a great and inexpensive fix.  Thanks for...

Reply #8
Why thanks, Dave, appreciate the bump.  Glad it was useful for you. 

Chuck

Reply #9
I ordered 10 switches from Mouser (switches cost as much as shipping). I finally got around to taking the contacts out of 2 new switches and putting in the 4 old ones. I just replaced the one side that is connected to circuit....works like new....

Reply #10
Hadn't seen this thread before.  Good future reference.  ^.^d

Larry

Reply #11
I had not seen it either, and am very glad to see it now.  I'll get after this little task and make the DW happy with the thermostat again.  Thanks Chuck.

• Mark D
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
I took them apart and cleaned them with spray electrical contact cleaner from radio shack.  It's been about a year and they are only starting to get funky again.  I'll probably do it your way now.

Reply #13
I called Mouser for number  PVA10AH2 and talked with a great tech and after he researched that part number and found they had gone obsolete. The tech referred me to onlinecomponents.com. The switches I ordered which are a little longer but so...

Reply #14

There is a guy that rebuilds the thermostat for $150 I have talked with him several times he's a very nice guy. You have to send him your thermostat he has no cores without your old one.
His...

Reply #15
Same member who rebuilds the Aqua Hot controllers. The one he did for me is still going strong.

Reply #16
Another sometime problem with these thermostats is the on/off switch.  My a/c would sometimes just shut off for few minutes and then turn back on.  Turned out the soldier connections for the switch crack.  A soldiering iron and a little fresh...

Reply #17
It's been a while, and once again my thermostat started acting up again about five years after replacing the contacts.  Being in a bit of a rush I just removed the cover, didn't disassemble the switches, gave em all a short shot of Deoxit and...

Reply #18
I replaced the contacts and springs in mine last spring. One of the best hacks I've done. It really improved my inside coach vocabulary.

Reply #19
Replacing the springs and contacts may be the easiest coach repair possible and lowest cost, outcome works well, having completed my repair about two years back. Found the HOW TO on this forum. Great group of folks, thanks for sharing !

Reply #20
X3 on the contact replace/repair. I changed mine last year, works perfect.

Larry