Skip to main content

Topic: FT Chassis (Read 1259 times) previous topic - next topic

FT Chassis
Hey Folks,

I've been doing a "search" regarding the FT chassis but can't seem to locate information on the specific construction of the FT chassis.  I think that FT makes a "Semi-monocoque" chassis, which makes it more bus-like than the basic...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: FT Chassis
Reply #1
Foretravel Motorhome technical help and information links

Lots if not all your questions will be answered. Barry also has a search function.

History, specifications,  photos all Foretravel ^.^d

• Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:22:41 pm by Barry Beam

Reply #2
They use all steel except for the radius on the roof. That is aluminum.  No sidewall delam but there was an issue with the first slides having a bit. I had mine fixed. They used the wrong mastic when constructing them the first time for the...

Reply #3
Tim,

If you ever get down to Meccadoches, be sure to take the factory tour. Delamination NOT an issue in FT. Early slides had a few that got delimitation in the slide ( a small area in the front of the slide that was below the window - usually if...

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Just expanding on the comments a bit. The mid 90s u280, u300 are becoming more difficult to find. Unicoaches more available. ^.^d

Reply #5

The mid 90s u280, u300 are becoming more difficult to find.

Because they are such a TERRIFIC BARGAIN at today's prices!!!

• ltg
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
We were at FOT this past week for annual maintenance. A Foretravel  owner was there in a beautiful 2008 Nimbus. I commented to him on how beautiful it was. He said that if someone were to buy a Nimbus, they should stay away from the  2008 year...

• ltg
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7

Tim,

Set your budget, and set aside 10% of that for first years tweaks/fixes/maintenance, and look at FT's in that price range.

We purchased our coach in July 2013. It had very little...

Reply #8
Great comments and insight.  I probably won't be able to get down to the factory until I retire late next year.  I live in the DC area.  However, I've read that there's a couple guys who are members on this site that hire out as "inspectors"...

Reply #9

We were at FOT this past week for annual maintenance. A Foretravel  owner was there in a beautiful 2008 Nimbus. I commented to him on how beautiful it was. He said that if someone were to buy a...

Reply #10
No

• fouroureye
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
No

ANY issue with foretravel is a higher % because of low production numbers.

If you look at recalls for production SOBs vs Foretrave the hand builts are far fewer ^.^d

Reply #12
All Foretravels I know of are unique as they are built up out of previously vacuum bonded sub assemblies made with steel 1 1/2 inch 16 gauge(?) tubing.

Then the sub assemblies are bolted together.  You can see the row of bolts across the coaches...

Reply #13
You are right about the dark painted coaches--- Foretravel acknowledged to us a couple of weeks ago that they are having problems with delamination in the black coaches.  I know it's the current fad, but who would want a hot black coach?  Water...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #14
If you go to the EAA's big shindig in Oshkosh you will find quite a few fiberglass homebuilts. The vast majority of them are mostly white. Even the metal birds are often mostly white.

Reply #15

You are right about the dark painted coaches--- Foretravel acknowledged to us a couple of weeks ago that they are having problems with delamination in the black coaches.  I know it's the...

Reply #16
Never would have a black coach.

Reply #17

Never would have a black coach.

Look around.  Most of the new coaches are black/dark

Reply #18
So did FT's chassis change at all when they introduced slides, or were they able to keep their semi-monocoque strength of the coach?

Reply #19
I believe that I am correct in saying that the original Grand Villa Unihome, and the later Unicoach without slides are True monocoque construction.  They added structural beam beneath the slides when they introduced them for more support, making...

Reply #20

I believe that I am correct in saying that the original Grand Villa Unihome, and the later Unicoach without slides are True monocoque construction.  They added structural beam beneath the...

Reply #21

I believe that I am correct in saying that the original Grand Villa Unihome, and the later Unicoach without slides are True monocoque construction.  They added structural beam beneath the...

Reply #22

The subframes front and rear keep any Foretravel from being true monocoque construction. True monocoque construction is found in a many buses but is more expensive to manufacture...

Reply #23

You are right about the dark painted coaches--- Foretravel acknowledged to us a couple of weeks ago that they are having problems with delamination in the black coaches.  I know it's the...

Reply #24

Let me finish what cm fore said.  "A true monocoque structure has no internal dividers.  Like an egg shell.  Since we use internal dividers we are a semi monocoque design"

That's how our 1995...