Skip to main content

Topic: Hot Water Recirculation (Read 997 times) previous topic - next topic

Hot Water Recirculation
Hot Water Recirculation

I did not want to run cold water down the drain while waiting for hot water.  It would take 30 seconds or more to get hot water.  So I found an electronic timer/relay, a solenoid valve and a bunch of plumbing fittings and...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• Carol & Scott
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Hot Water Recirculation
Reply #1
Roger - You are way above my pay grade.   ;D

Looking forward to seeing it.

Reply #2
That's what I had in mind except I thought of a tee into the line coming out of the bottom of the tank behind the water pump. 

• Carol & Scott
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
You Rick are above my paygrade too.   ;D

Reply #4
Excellent post!
Don

Reply #5
Rick, I though about that as well but thinking about that as a return point then you would have to pump against the water in the tank, hard on the pump. I think pumping it back into the top of the tank is easier on the pump and way easier then...

Reply #6
People around here know I work on my own stuff.  No one has ever accused me of fixing any of it.

Reply #7
When the pump kicks on wouldn't it be just feeding into the back side of the pump since that line is dual purpose?

I don't remember the formula to figure the difference in pressure to pump a 1/2 " line to the top of the tank vs pushing against...

• kenhat
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
@Rodger Nice work. I've bookmarked for that day way off in the future when I have some spare time to go at this. :) Thanks for the excellent write up.

see ya
ken

Reply #9
Hi Guys,

I accomplished a hot water saver by using a 12 volt solenoid water valve, some plastic tubing and a timer... to run the "cool" water water back to the fresh tank for a few seconds. This allows the hot water to make it to the sink/shower...

Reply #10
Rick, As I understand the plumbing works, the pump pushes fresh water to the cold side of the mainfold and to the hot water tank.  A cold demand sends cold water through the cold manifold to the open faucet.  A hot water demand sends cold water...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #11
In an effort to save water when extended dry camping in Quartzsite, I found this old thread. 

I looked at the RV Aquaview product, but did not want to drill holes in the Corian in the shower, and the thought that having a blue plastic rod with...

Reply #12
Nice job Woody.  This hot water recirculator has served us well for several years now.  Susan thought it was the best thing I had come up with until I did the automatic water pump shutoff. 

A direct source for the timers as well as brake flashers...

• Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 09:58:55 pm by Roger & Susan in Home2

Reply #13
Nice jobs.  I am paranoid about modifying any tanks as they are non replaceable. You guys are good.

As part of our home safety setup for disasters I have a nice water pump in a box and a large 12 volt source and 2 60 gallon water bladders and...

Reply #14
White man build big fire, stand far away. Indian build small fire, stand close.
There are lots of ways to save water and energy. This is a good one.

Reply #15
I am paranoid about modifying any tanks as they are non replaceable.

Bob,

I don't know where you got your info but they are still available. A few months ago I checked on a domestic tank they...

Reply #16
Thanks.  That's great

Reply #17
I recently added two temperature gauges, the red on measures water temperature at the AquaHot and the other measures water temperature at the hot water distribution manifold to see how well the hot water recirculator is doing.

This morning this...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #18
Dumb question... Does the house water tank heat up also? As this is used.. If so.. how much? approx?

Reply #19
There is no house water tank. The AquaHot tank filled with coolant heats to 180 to 190° depending on heating method.  The fresh water in the coils around the tank (in this AquaHot model) heats up to the about that temperature.  The AquaHot mixing...

• Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 10:42:26 am by Roger & Susan in Home2

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #20
David, my recirc timer runs for 25 seconds.  Most of that water is cold.  Guessing < a quart of warm/hot water goes back into the fresh tank.  You couldn't even measure that temperature rise.  The grey water tank in my coach sits right next to...

Reply #21
Ah. another project for the near future. ! thanks for that. lol.
Roger just got a unitseal in the mail a few weeks ago to plumb in a direct fill... guess I will have to plan on a T fitting there.
Last night I fired up the aqua hot to see if the...

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #22
Yes, the kitchen sink would need another valve/circuit.  I don't use hot water much except to shower, so went that route to save the most water for my application.  The option of pulling off the manibloc hot in line would be the best option if...

Reply #23
If I ever get around to it, I'll just go under the bathroom sink, where the is a manual tank fill valve running between the cold water line and the fresh water tank, and add an electrical valve between the hot water line and the fresh water tank....