Skip to main content
Topic: Hot Water Recirculation (Read 2517 times) previous topic - next topic

Hot Water Recirculation

Hot Water Recirculation

I did not want to run cold water down the drain while waiting for hot water.  It would take 30 seconds or more to get hot water.  So I found an electronic timer/relay, a solenoid valve and a bunch of plumbing fittings and went at it.

Parts List
Timer/relay controller
12v 3/4" Solenoid Valve
2-3/4" pipe couplers
2-3/4" male pipe to barbed fittings to fit your flexible tubing.
1/2" pipe coupler to attach to the hot side of the water manifold. The spot opposite the toilet is usually open
  If there are no unused spots you have to T into a PEX hot line.
6 ft of tubing.  I used 5/8" to match up with the barbed fitting the hardware store had that day.
1/2" spin weld tank fitting to glue to the water tank
Adhesive for the 1/2" spin weld fitting
1/2" hose pipe to barbed fitting to fit your flexible tubing.
4 hose clamps
Teflon plumbing tape
Wire ties.

12v on/off switch
12v momentary contact switch

This is the timer/relay circuit I used.
Directed Electronics Inc 528T 12v Accessory Pulse Timer

Amazon.com : Directed Electronics Inc 528T 12v Accessory Pulse Timer :...

And the solenoid valve.  You might be able to find a 1/2" one.
12V Solenoid Valve - 3/4"

12V Solenoid Valve - 3/4": Industrial Solenoid Valves: Amazon.com: Industrial...

At each end of the valve you will need a pipe couple and a barbed fitting of the appropriate size for the tubing you are using.

Attaching a fitting to the low density polyethylene water tank is not easy.  You cannot use regular solvent glues.  The following fitting works well with the 3M adhesive meant for this type of plastics.  A barbed fitting for the tubing size you are using is needed here.

Ameri-Kart (53) 0.5" Female Pipe Fitting

Amazon.com: Ameri-Kart (53) 0.5" Female Pipe Fitting: Automotive

3M 4693H Clear Scotch-Weld High Performance Industrial Plastic Adhesive, 5 Ounce

3M 4693H Clear Scotch-Weld High Performance Industrial Plastic Adhesive, 5...

This is an alternate (and less expensive) way to connect a 1/2" pipe to your tank.  The Uniseal fittings are a rubber grommet that fits in a hole you drill in the tank and then you slide the pipe through hole in the grommet.  It makes a tight fit with some give for movement.  They come in different sizes.  I have a larger one to use when I put in a gravity/fast fill port.

1/2'' UNISEAL Flexible Tank Adapter (bulkhead)

1/2'' UNISEAL Flexible Tank Adapter (bulkhead): Pet Care Products: Amazon.com...

The flexible tubing is much easier to run than PEX.  There is not a lot of room around the manifold and PEX is pretty stiff. 

From the hot side of the manifold run the flex line to the top of the bay where it connects to the solenoid valve.  From the solenoid valve run the flex line to the fresh water tank connection which is slightly lower than the solenoid valve.

I mounted the timer inside the kitchen cabinets so that I could adjust timing if needed.  The on/off switch and the momentary switch are mounted on the kitchen cabinet face just under the cooktop.

I have the timer set for 20 seconds.  When the momentary switch is pushed the solenoid valve is opened for 20 seconds. Cold water is pumped to the hot water heater tank, hot water comes back towards the manifold, the water between the hot water tank and the manifold that has cooled off is returned to the fresh water tank.  After 20 seconds the solenoid valve closes and there is hot water at the manifold.  Now there is only 5-10 seconds of cold hot water between the manifold and the kitchen, bathroom or shower.

I thought about using a "T" in the shower hot water line close to the shower valve which would have gotten the hot water to the manifold and to the shower valve but the plumbing runs seemed much more difficult.  The bathroom sink and the kitchen are the most commonly used fixtures.  A "T" in the kitchen hot water line would work but that involves crawling under the sink to do plumbing and a potential leak.  So the manifold was a good choice.

While doing all of this I removed the panel in front of the fresh water tank, cut it into three pieces and added some hinges and a latch.  Now I can just open the door to see how much water is in the fresh tank and store a few more things behind the panel.

Roger

Re: Hot Water Recirculation

Reply #1
Roger - You are way above my pay grade.  ;D

Looking forward to seeing it.
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #2
That's what I had in mind except I thought of a tee into the line coming out of the bottom of the tank behind the water pump. 
Rick & Rhonda
2003 U320 4220  Build #6199
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

The selected media item is not currently available.

Reply #3
You Rick are above my paygrade too.  ;D
Scott & Carol Seibert
2001 42' double slide U320 - Sold
Previous - 2002 36' U320

Reply #4
Excellent post!
Don
Don & Tys
1999 U270 3602 WTFE #5402
Xtreme Stage 1 w/Headlight, Step Conversion, etc.
2009 Honda Fit Sport with Navi
Freedom is NOT "just another word for nothing left to lose"... with apologies to Kris Kristofferson

Reply #5
Rick, I though about that as well but thinking about that as a return point then you would have to pump against the water in the tank, hard on the pump. I think pumping it back into the top of the tank is easier on the pump and way easier then trying to put a "T" in the PEX lines behind the pump.

Roger

Reply #6
People around here know I work on my own stuff.  No one has ever accused me of fixing any of it.
Rick & Rhonda
Was
91 36' GV 300 Caterpillar, 92 40' U280 300 Cummins, 97 36' U295 300 Cummins, 2002
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

Reply #7
When the pump kicks on wouldn't it be just feeding into the back side of the pump since that line is dual purpose?

I don't remember the formula to figure the difference in pressure to pump a 1/2 " line to the top of the tank vs pushing against surface pressure at a lower level.  I wouldn't think it would be significant. 

What good problems to have.

I will sleep on that.  I sure like your setup. 
Rick & Rhonda
Was
U320 450 Cummins
(Guess we're hooked)

Reply #8
@Rodger Nice work. I've bookmarked for that day way off in the future when I have some spare time to go at this. :) Thanks for the excellent write up.

see ya
ken
The selected media item is not currently available.ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #9
Hi Guys,

I accomplished a hot water saver by using a 12 volt solenoid water valve, some plastic tubing and a timer... to run the "cool" water water back to the fresh tank for a few seconds. This allows the hot water to make it to the sink/shower etc. where the solenoid valve is located.

Jim
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #10
Rick, As I understand the plumbing works, the pump pushes fresh water to the cold side of the mainfold and to the hot water tank.  A cold demand sends cold water through the cold manifold to the open faucet.  A hot water demand sends cold water to the hot water tank displacing hot water towards the hot water manifold and then to the open faucet. It is the water between the hot water tank and the mainifold that has gone cold that we are trying to put back into,the fresh tank rather than down the drain into the gray water holding tank.

Roger

Reply #11

In an effort to save water when extended dry camping in Quartzsite, I found this old thread. 

I looked at the RV Aquaview product, but did not want to drill holes in the Corian in the shower, and the thought that having a blue plastic rod with black PVC pipe in the shower just seemed too Winnebago to me.  So, I followed Roger's methodology here and plunged into the project and got-er-done.

I used this 12V water valve off Amazon (looks just like the icemaker valve on my fridge) (2 for $10...just in case since they're Chinee), Amazon.com: Ximimark 2Pcs 1/2" Thread Plastic Electric Solenoid Valve Water...

and this made in the USA timer:  Small Miniature time on off cycling delay relay 0.1 sec to 9999 hours. 5V... and programming buttons.  Online instructions on how to set it.

I wired the power for the timer/valve to the vanity make up light switch, and as a trigger, installed a momentary on push button switch right next to that below the sink.

I plumbed the system by gaining access to the rear of the shower thru panels in the make up corner cabinet in the bedroom, installed a sharkbite T fitting and several 90's right at the hot water inlet to the shower valve, and ran 1/2" PEX under the rear of the shower, behind the toilet, to under the sink area, where I installed the valve and timer under the left sink drawer, just above the fresh tank fill point and ran the PEX down to the wet bay on the driver's side (total of about 8' of PEX).  Had to pick out a ton of silicone and then resealed it all afterwards.  Ran the hot water return down into the wet bay and connected it with a sharkbite T and some adapters into the fast fill set up I'd put in last year.  Added a check valve in place of the manual on/off valve I had in there for the fast fill.  See picture.

I programmed the timer with program #14, "single shot" and set the timer to 25 seconds and that gets warm water to the shower....enough to wet my hair when I jump in.  On cold days, I'll just hit the trigger button twice.  It's gonna save me a lot of water...guessing a 1/4 to 1/3 tank.

Man I love this forum.  Thanks again for all the advice here.  Woody

2001 4010 U320 build #5865 "Bluto-d-Bus" since 09/18
2006 Honda Element ESP Toad
Full timing since 2016 in Western MT
Copilot: Sitka
1975 GMC 260 Avion: sold

Reply #12
Nice job Woody.  This hot water recirculator has served us well for several years now.  Susan thought it was the best thing I had come up with until I did the automatic water pump shutoff. 

A direct source for the timers as well as brake flashers and other little timing circuits is:
Multi-Functional 3V-18V Time Delay Relay | Timers.shop

The mini timers are not the easiest thing to program so guess well on time.  The adjustable one I used at the time has a knob or screw to adjust the timer.  But 20 seconds seems OK.  If not we just run it twice. 

I also used 5/8" tubing and a 3/4" valve.  it lets more water move per second.  When we turn ours on the pump runs continuously for 20 seconds. 

Reply #13
Nice jobs.  I am paranoid about modifying any tanks as they are non replaceable. You guys are good.

As part of our home safety setup for disasters I have a nice water pump in a box and a large 12 volt source and 2 60 gallon water bladders and various length drinking water hoses.  So I can pump extra water into the coach if needed when dry camping.

Obviously I am filling the grey tank way  more than your way.

"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #14
White man build big fire, stand far away. Indian build small fire, stand close.
There are lots of ways to save water and energy. This is a good one.
1993 U225
Build #: 4285
500 Watts Solar
Honda CRV AWD
Retired, Snowbird, Full time Off Grid

Reply #15
I am paranoid about modifying any tanks as they are non replaceable.

Bob,

I don't know where you got your info but they are still available. A few months ago I checked on a domestic tank they were still about $1500 plus shipping.

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #16
Thanks.  That's great
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4

Reply #17
I recently added two temperature gauges, the red on measures water temperature at the AquaHot and the other measures water temperature at the hot water distribution manifold to see how well the hot water recirculator is doing.

This morning this the first picture shows the temperatures when we got up.  I ran the recirculator through two cycles (40 seconds) to get to the second picture.

Hot water at the shower or anywhere else in less than 5 seconds compared to a minute or so.  If you are trying to conserve water this is a couple gallons or more every time you want hot water from a cold start.

The temperature gauges are powered when the water pump is on and go off when the water pump shuts off automatically.

Water Pump Timer Automatically Switches Pump Off

Reply #18
Dumb question... Does the house water tank heat up also? As this is used.. If so.. how much? approx?

Reply #19
There is no house water tank. The AquaHot tank filled with coolant heats to 180 to 190° depending on heating method.  The fresh water in the coils around the tank (in this AquaHot model) heats up to the about that temperature.  The AquaHot mixing valve mixes cold water and hot water to deliver 120° water to the manifold. 

After 12 hours with no heat added (electric or diesel boiler) and after two showers and dishes the AquaHot tank is still at 148°

Running the water pump for 20 seconds moves about 1 gallon from the hot side of the manifold back to the fresh tank.  Depending on the starting temperature at the manifold it can take 20-40 seconds to reach about 120° at the manifold.

Reply #20
David, my recirc timer runs for 25 seconds.  Most of that water is cold.  Guessing < a quart of warm/hot water goes back into the fresh tank.  You couldn't even measure that temperature rise.  The grey water tank in my coach sits right next to the fresh tank, so I guarantee the hot water going down the shower drain into the grey tank heats up the adjacent fresh tank a lot more than the recirc water.  It's not a consideration IMHO.

Woody.

Dumb question... Does the house water tank heat up also? As this is used.. If so.. how much? approx?

Reply #21
Ah. another project for the near future. ! thanks for that. lol.
Roger just got a unitseal in the mail a few weeks ago to plumb in a direct fill... guess I will have to plan on a T fitting there.
Last night I fired up the aqua hot to see if the furnace would come on with my new Attwood ac install (it didn't, still troubleshooting that one) and it took about 25 seconds to get hot water and I thought.. gee what a waste of water and gray tank space...
Pyolet... what about the kitchen sink? Guess you would need to wire in a additional circuit for that, yes?
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #22
Yes, the kitchen sink would need another valve/circuit.  I don't use hot water much except to shower, so went that route to save the most water for my application.  The option of pulling off the manibloc hot in line would be the best option if you wanted hot water savings to all fixtures I guess; but then you still gotta purge the cold from the lines between the manibloc and each fixture, using a little more water, but less than having to heat the manibloc from the aqua hot/hot water heater.  W.

Ah. another project for the near future. ! thanks for that. lol.
Roger just got a unitseal in the mail a few weeks ago to plumb in a direct fill... guess I will have to plan on a T fitting there.
Last night I fired up the aqua hot to see if the furnace would come on with my new Attwood ac install (it didn't, still troubleshooting that one) and it took about 25 seconds to get hot water and I thought.. gee what a waste of water and gray tank space...
Pyolet... what about the kitchen sink? Guess you would need to wire in a additional circuit for that, yes?

Reply #23
If I ever get around to it, I'll just go under the bathroom sink, where the is a manual tank fill valve running between the cold water line and the fresh water tank, and add an electrical valve between the hot water line and the fresh water tank.

Close enough to the shower.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #24
Roger can you describe where you installed the temperature sensors at the Aquahot and the distribution manifold please.
George Mann
2002 U320 #5934
2017 Rubicon
2013 BMW GS
Waterford MI