Skip to main content
Topic: Trik-L-Start (Read 1558 times) previous topic - next topic

Trik-L-Start

I need to get a Trik-L-Start for my coach, getting tired of trying to remember to turn the boost switch on and off. My coach is kept at home and plugged in when not in use.
I noticed there are two sizes of Trik-L-Start, a 5 amp and a 15 amp. What would be the advantage over one or the other. Because time is not important when it is in operation, I am leaning toward the 5 amp unit.
Am I overlooking something obvious here, because my wife says I have done so in the past. I appreciate any input here from you that have used the Trik-L-Start. Thanks.
Donald & Cheryl
1999 U295 36'
2006 Saturn Vue Toad
The selected media item is not currently available.

Re: Trik-L-Start

Reply #1
Don I just use the 5 amp one and it works great after two years  ^.^d
Andy & Eileen
Riverton Wyoming
1992 U300  40' 6V92 TA
2007 Honda CRV
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee) Build # 4135 Skp# 122921

Reply #2
I have had the 5 amp for 10 years, no starting problems. ^.^d
The selected media item is not currently available.Bill&Doris 97 U270 36'
University of Parris Island Class of 66
Semper Fi  Build# 5174 MC#17094

Reply #3
I used the 5 amp version.  Can't see any need for 15 amp.  You're not trying to charge the batteries, just maintain them.  5 amp has worked fine for us for 2 years.  I mounted ours on one of the coach batteries, and connected the wires at the isolator panel.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
Ours used to look like Chuck and Jennie's setup, but since I moved all that stuff to under the bed that's where the Trik-L-Start is, too. I'm too lazy to go look, but I think ours is the 5 amp. Works great.

Reply #5
Ditto on 5A. Works well for me.
Tom Lang K6PG (originally  KC6UEC)
and Diane Lang
2003 38 U295 build 6209
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
still have tow-ready 2006 Acura MDX 
Temple City, California
Motorcade 16681 California Chapter President
SKP 16663 member of SKP Park of the Sierra, Coarsegold California
FMCA F071251
Retired electrical and electronic engineer

Reply #6
We also recommend the 5-amp Trik-L-Start.  But cost is not the reason for our choice.  The 5-amp is their original of many years and uses diodes internally.  It is simple and just works quite well.  The 15-amp is much newer and uses a voltage circuit board and relay internally.  Relay is closed when the house battery voltage climbs to a pre-set point and disconnects when voltage drops to a different pre-set point.  Each has disadvantages, but many keep their start battery from being discharged with the diode unit.

Reply #7
Donald,
Ditto the 5 amp model experience:
We are going on sixteen years of use, first on a 2 + 2 battery, U270 system and then on a 3 + 3 battery, U320 system, all without issue , failure or need for more than what the 5 Amp Trik-L-Start provides.  It maintains, not charges, and as long as you understand that, I see no reason to go to the 15 Amp design which is more complex and potentially less reliable.
HTH, Neal
Neal (& Brenda) Pillsbury
'02 U320 SPEC, 4200, DGFE, Build #5984
'04 Gold Wing
'07 Featherlite 24'
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
MC #14494
Exeter, NH & LaBelle FL
Quality makes the Heart Soar long after Price is Forgotten

Reply #8
Why go one way with a trik-l-start when you can go both with a true combiner like a yandina or blue-sea?
1998 U270 34'

Reply #9
Why go one way with a trik-l-start...
Because it's simple to install, it's inexpensive, and it does the job?

LSL Products TLS-OEM 5 Amp Starting Battery Charger

Reply #10
Blue Sea also is 3 wire installation, does the job, AND will charge the house batteries from the alternator when driving if your isolator goes south.Amazon.com : Blue Sea Systems SI-ACR Automatc Charging Relay - 12/24V DC /...
Jim C.
coachfree, previous 1997, 1999, 2000, and 2003 Foretravels.

Reply #11
As is ALWAYS the case, I strongly encourage every member to do that which brings them the most happiness!  :thumbsup:

Reply #12
Couple of years ago we bought the Blue Sea battery combiner, which uses a voltage sensing circuit to close relays that combine.  Combining will allow current to flow from start to house and house to start.  We found two problems.  One is when we started engine when Blue Sea was combining, the high drain of the starter causes coach issues that were hard to diagnose, but problem went away when Blue Sea was disabled.  The other issue was when the house battery was quite warm, like on a 90+ degree day, the battery charger would float at a voltage lower than the Blue Sea voltage sensing closing circuit, preventing combining, so house battery was not being charged.  We switched to the $50 LSL diode combiner and all is well again.  We also notified Blue Sea of our findings.

Reply #13
Forgive my ignorance if you can, but here comes a dumb question. IF the coach is plugged in, doesn't the onboard charger take care of charging the "house" batteries. And if the boost switch is on, the engine batteries also. What am I missing (without going too far into the weeds).
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #14
The inverter/charger will charge the house batteries if you are plugged in or the generator is running.  If the boost switch is on the house batteries and the engine batteries are connected and they will both get charged.  If the power fails then both barrey sets will get depleted.

A small charger as is being suggested will keep your engine batteries "maintained" when you are plugged in. Use the boost switch when you need all of the batteries to work together otherwise leave it off. Pretty inexpensive way to keep the start batteries changed and extend their lives.

The only issue I have with a small battery maintainer is that they just don't have enough amps to charge the batteries when needed.  If the coach is unplugged for a few weeks, for example, 5 amps into three red tops will not (reasonably) recharge them.  But they are way better than nothing and better than letting the coach inverter charge them through the boost switch.

If you want a bigger smart charger check out the charger options at Bay Marine Supply.  Alan is a Forum Member.
Sterling ProCharge Ultra 20 Amp Boat Battery Charger | 0

Reply #15
Forgive my ignorance if you can, but here comes a dumb question. IF the coach is plugged in, doesn't the onboard charger take care of charging the "house" batteries. And if the boost switch is on, the engine batteries also. What am I missing (without going too far into the weeds).
Not a dumb question.  This is probably something every owner wonders about at one time or another.

Discussing use of the BOOST switch on this Forum, is like discussing religion or politics anywhere else - EVERYBODY has a STRONG opinion on the subject.  (Of course, we don't discuss religion or politics on the Forum, but you get the analogy)

I tried typing "using boost to charge batteries" into the search box - got 3 pages of results.  We (the Forum) have appearently been tossing this subject around since the very first days of the old Yahoo-based group.  AND WE STILL HAVEN'T REACHED A CONSENSUS!

If you want to read some "heated" discussions, try doing your own search on this subject.  ALL of the most knowledgeable and respected Forum members have, at one time or another, expressed their opinions on how to best utilize this simple switch.

Have fun!

Reply #16
The answer is that there are several "reasonable" ways to accomplish keeping both battery banks charged. No problem with differences of opinions in terms of "which is my preference".

Put me in the group that doesn't feel using a relay/solenoid to achieve this is the best way.  Sure it will work IF everything is 100%, but over the years, have seen a number of failed boost solenoids.  A failed boost solenoid could certainly lead to the deep discharge and destruction of hundreds of dollars worth of batteries. IMO, not reasonable with other, more reliable solutions.

The fact that the boost switch is on and illuminated does NOT necessarily mean that the boost solenoid is working.  Can easily be confirmed with a digital voltmeter.  With switch off, chassis and house battery banks should read different voltage.  With boost on they should read exactly the same.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #17
Thanks for all of your replies and links.  I think I will go with the 5 amp Trik-L-Start to start with. I Like the simplicity and of course the price.
Donald & Cheryl
1999 U295 36'
2006 Saturn Vue Toad

Reply #18
I had come to the same conclusion and mine is on order. Meantime using a plug in battery tender for chassis. Looks like it can be mounted next to chassis batteries while drawing power from isolator that is mounted above chassis batts.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller, B2B, bat monitor, 600 AMPH lithium with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #19
I have had one for a few years and takes over(from solar panel) when sun not out. I have a question that maybe one of the other users can answer. With engine running does the indicator light flicker fast and when no alternator power ie  engine off, does it  stay steady. I noticed this on mine the other day and could not remember what it did previously.
Thanks
JohnH
Coachless, now use aircraft.
1994 Ford E350 ClassC,total renovation inside and out. Now sold.
2000 U295  36' Cummins 350 c/w Banks Stinger, Resonator upgrade,Solar, LED lites.Residential fridge with slide out pantry. Build 5674. Sold
ex 92 GV 022C ored Cummins. Sold
ex 95 GV240 cat 3116. Sold
2017 Mini cooper s & 2016 land Rover LR2 HSE  LUX.
jhaygarth@aol.com    SKP #130098
treat everyone as you would like to be.

Reply #20
My batteries are stored in the garage during the winter--cold out there. But I have my charger(s) on timers. They turn on for one hour a day--max, just enough to keep them at full charge. I do once a month check the battery output voltage--after hooking up an old tractor light for a couple minutes to "clean off the top of the battery charge".

Seems to work for me as my old 8D wet cell has lasted over five years now, even with the alternator going to pot two years ago.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #21
I have a question that maybe one of the other users can answer. With engine running does the indicator light flicker fast and when no alternator power ie  engine off, does it  stay steady. I noticed this on mine the other day and could not remember what it did previously.
Don't think I've ever looked at ours when the engine was running.  We'll be driving tomorrow - I'll take a look and report back.

Meantime, I found the tech sheet linked below.  One of the notes about 1/2 way down the page says:

"WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING? TRIK-L-STARTâ„¢ is effectively disconnected from both sets of batteries whenever the engine is running, and will not affect your alternator's normal operation."

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

Reply #22
The answer is at the bottom of Chuck's link. It states that the green light blinks when engine is running.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #23
Have found that while traveling the start battery problem is a moot point,if your running the coach every other day or so the batteries
stay charged.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #24
Set-up with a Pulse De-sulfator type  low voltage charger and  BD12 Whizbang (which is also a de-sulfator) on each start battery (plugged in 24/7.)  House Batteries are disconnected & get topped-off monthly...

Pulse De-sulfator goes on 2/3 times per hour for aprox 30 seconds and cycles when starting batteries drop to 13.4V from 14.2V.

This set-up works well & so will any number of combinations...  pc
S/W Houston 95" U320C SE/40' 
Build #4778  Cummins M11
Repairs & Covered RV Parking (BAO)
PPL is close..