Skip to main content

Topic: All Electric coming down the road (Read 740 times) previous topic - next topic

All Electric coming down the road
Many of you may have seen this article but in case you have missed it I am posting the link. Looks like the next exciting evolution in motor-homes is just starting.

All-Electric Motorhome Coming to the RV Marketplace in 2019 - RV Life

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: All Electric coming down the road
Reply #1
LOL what a bunch of media garbage, 125 miles on flatlands at best, only if it makes it totally depleted to an RV park where other totally depleted rv's show up and overload the electrical power grid. Same thing applies to electric cars arriving...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Many of you may have seen this article but in case you have missed it I am posting the link. Looks like the next exciting evolution in motor-homes is just starting.

All-Electric Motorhome...

Reply #3
There is a ways to go here before it will work in the US.  It would need 300 mile range and even a Tesla wil barely do that.. CG would need to have much upgraded electric systems to handle higher voltage, higher amp charging demands. 

Maybe in...

Reply #4
As all of us use mobile power of many kinds we can all hope that Dr Goodenough's purported latest invention is real.

He is the li-ion battery inventor.

His latest papers say that his group has designed a silicone solid state battery with more...

Reply #5
The part that is so funny is, the carbon footprint to make all the batteries and solar panel, plus all the energy used to produce the charge, is worse then just burning some good old fossil fuel....

Reply #6
The part that is so funny is, the carbon footprint to make all the batteries and solar panel, plus all the energy used to produce the charge, is worse then just burning some good old fossil...

Reply #7
Most who calculate the solar panel cycle costs may not be calculating the removal and disposal cost in 25 years.  Giant landfills full of stuff that does not deteriorate.  Cradle to grave solar is a loss without tax benefits.

Unless you live off...

Reply #8
True, but only in the very short term. Huge solar farms have long since produced many times the amount of electricity than used to make them. Once manufactured, they sit and...

Reply #9
Lots of abandoned small wind power farms in Ca on the road to Palm Springs.

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
Here is an interesting video that was done by Professor Brian Cox and Saul Griffith. Cox is a Physicist and a former rock band member.  There is one bad word used by Mr. Griffith. So be warned if you do not want to hear an F-bomb. I think too...

Reply #11
Germany last January almost had a total grid power failure.  The sun did not shine and the wind did not blow.

Had to reopen closed fuel generating plants to avert catastrophe.

Paid a billion dollars in penalties to solar and wind companies from...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
No one would deny that the modern human race contributes to global warming. Also REASONABLE  government regulations for a clean environment are what makes private enterprise develop clean technologies. Solar, and wind help but they are not...

Reply #13
UMM, All good, but your forgetting to consider the battery bank in this equation.
No, didn't forget the battery at all. Battery technology is rapidly changing just as computers have evolved in...

Reply #14
Yup for every kw of wind and solar, you need a kw of other generating means. In Kansas you pay a higher electrical rate if you have wind or solar generation, and rightly so. This goes to maintaining the grid and power plants. Can't just let...

Reply #15
Lots of abandoned small wind power farms in Ca on the road to Palm Springs.
My good friend from here, worked on those for a few years. Made good money. It was all a joke, government money,...

Reply #16
No, didn't forget the battery at all. Battery technology is rapidly changing just as computers have evolved in the last thirty years. Tesla has spent a bundle on the electric...

Reply #17
Chris,

In other words, we are doomed as a civilization and soon will be able to fry an egg on the sidewalk anytime after 11am?

Not buying that but I guess it's time to respectfully disagree.

Pierce

Reply #18
Chris,

In other words, we are doomed as a civilization and soon will be able to fry an egg on the sidewalk anytime after 11am?

Not buying that but I guess it's time to...

• DavidS
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
in some parts of california they are forcing solar on all housing.. in some areas its not even productive... everyone pays a tax so everyone can have it on their houses....

That is how I understood it..So much $$$ per houshold

Reply #20
Like everything else, the answer to carbon footprint payback lies between  the two extremes.  For one thing, it depends on latitude of the panel. Solar panels installed far north are going to take much longer, if ever, to repay their carbon...

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
I think that as Dr Saul Griffith eluded to in my posted video. The numbers are staggering. It's not going to be an easy nor a quick change. Part of the problem is that too many of the renewable fuels advocates preach that the end is upon us, The...

Reply #22
One thing I've noticed in my lifetime is that whenever there is a savings (of whatever sort, money, energy, taxes, etc.) that item saved is spent at a somewhat higher level.  IOW get cheaper solar energy?  Buy more stuff, add to the load.  Buy a...

Reply #23
Its all good. I love my planet, I mean it no harm. I just don't want the government mandating things on me.Then taxing me for doing it.

I don't like scare tactics being used either.

Everything in moderation. Everything in balance.

Great discussion.

Reply #24
I remember putting fuel into my dad's '67 Pontiac Catalina station wagon at 60 cents a gallon.  The car got around 8 mpg and spewed out tons of hydrocarbons.  When I first came to San Diego in '72, I remember seeing a band of brown at the horizon...