Skip to main content
Topic: Install Shelf in Kitchen Exterior Wall (Read 887 times) previous topic - next topic

Install Shelf in Kitchen Exterior Wall

DW is having a walnut shelf made to install in the kitchen of our 34'.  It will be "L" shaped, mounted about midway between the counter and the ceiling and face the driver side wall of the coach and the interior wall in common with the bathroom. Please advise best mounting method.

Thanks
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: Install Shelf in Kitchen Exterior Wall

Reply #1
I'm far from being a carpenter, but seems to me you could use most any type of 90 degree shelf supports.  Wood, metal...whatever.  Size and number to be commensurate with the anticipated weight load on shelf.  The key is to locate the vertical metal ribs in the wall, and try to tap into those (if possible) with the attaching bolts/screws.  If you can't find enough vertical ribs, then use expanding hollow wall anchors.  The walls are normally a "sandwich" construction of fiberglass on the exterior, and plywood/FRP on the the interior, with the space between filled with foam.

Detail of wall construction here:  Construction question

A "stud finder" is very handy for.....finding metal studs in the walls.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #2
PS: Please post photos of the completed (installed) shelf.  Sounds like a very nice and useful addition to your coach!

Reply #3
Walnut shelf brackets with a design that compliments the OEM decor might be aesthetically pleasing.

Reply #4
Wife's number 1 complaint in our coach.. No counter space .. After you put the coffee maker out.. no room for much else... Maybe I need to upgrade the coach. That should fix it.. Hmm

Reply #5
Wife's number 1 complaint in our coach.. No counter space .. After you put the coffee maker out.. no room for much else... Maybe I need to upgrade the coach. That should fix it.. Hmm

That could get pricey!  :o
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #7
Here's the area of the kitchen the "L" shaped shelf will go in.  Above toaster oven in place of silver rack (held on with Velcro).  I have a pretty good idea of fastening to outside wall thanks to Chuck's link. What about fastening to the interior wall?  Does electric from the outlet below come down from top or up from bottom?
Sarasota, Florida
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #8
What about fastening to the interior wall?  Does electric from the outlet below come down from top or up from bottom?
On our coach, the electrical romex cables run along the floor, and up the walls to the outlets.  At least all the ones I have investigated.  If you check in your closets, and under the sink, you'll find "false floor" panels that can be removed.  Will likely find the electric cables under those panels.  That interior wall is probably hollow with a wood frame.  You could use the expanding anchors there.  Just play it safe when you drill any holes.  Go carefully through the wall "skin" with a small bit, then stop and probe around through the hole to see if there is anything hiding in the wall.  If it is clear, then drill larger hole to set the anchor.

Reply #9
It looks like your MW is backed up to the sliding door pocket. There is some structure in there, you need a good stud finder.

Reply #10
  "Does electric from the outlet below come down from top or up from bottom?"

Randy: Unscrew the outlet in your picture.  The outlet is normally wired to your GFI and you should be able to see the direction from which all the wiring comes from.
Bob

Winter: somewhere in the Texas Rio Grande Valley maybe, maybe not
Summer: The Gardens RV Community of Crossville, TN
2000 40 FT U270, Xtreme FBP
2017 C-Max Towed

Reply #11
Project if finished and installed using the tambour door we got from Foretravel.  Beyond my skills but well within that of a long-time friend.  Now I wonder what Karen will find to store in there?
Sarasota, Florida

Reply #12
Nice job....
Jimmy Freytag,  Ardmore, Ok
1999 36ft U320. — -SOLD—-
1988 40ft GV        1990 36ft U280
1993 40ft U280      1996 36ft U280
  TRAVEL WHILE YOU CAN THE TIME WILL COME
            WHEN YOU NO LONGER CAN.