Skip to main content

Topic: movin' around Mexico (Read 613 times) previous topic - next topic

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
movin' around Mexico
We are getting ready for the next chapter of our Mexico experience, and we'll leave Mazatlan at the end of February to head towards Guadalajara and San Miguel de Allende.
Does anyone ( John ), have any suggestions of the best route to take ? Any...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: movin' around Mexico
Reply #1
Buy the Mexican map book    Guia Roja  .
Leaving mazatlan take the toll Hwy 15 south and travel till  you see the sign for  San Blas and stay there a night or 2. Back onto 15 thru Tepiac for Guadalajara, but turn off before Guadalajara for a trip...

• GleamB
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Muchas Gracias!!

Reply #3
Gleam,

John has some excellent ideas. I've made over 100 trips into Mexico since I was fourteen and drove back from there 5 days ago. The road is good and fast Maz to Tepic, a good place to stop for a day with a possible side trip to San Blas....

Reply #4
After reading John and Pierce's comments, I know who I want as a tour guide if I ever get down there ^.^d

Larry

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Pierce, good info and I was going to talk about Glens wanted visit after their time in Guadalajara today as when I posted I was on my way to bed as not feeling too great. Guanajuato is a favourite of ours too and no one should miss Mexico city....

Reply #6
John,

Before I went sailing, I read 50,000 miles under sail. Brett has 50,000 driving miles in Mexico alone! As I remember, he spent lots of time around Guadalajara. Chime in here Brett!

Yes, there is a entire guide book on Oaxaca. I have not been...

Reply #7
Yes, Guad is our favorite big city in Mexico.  Sadly the land where RV park we really liked in Granja was too valuable to be an RV park and is now all high-end residential.  Suspect San Jose del Tajo may go the same way.

Same happened in San...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
I have about 40k klm in Mexico going around the coast (except Yucatan) and thru the interior countless times, which is my favourite part as well. Here you meet the real Mexicans and possibly not one gringo. I love seeing the plazas in every town...

Reply #9
John,

Behind the motel-- TIGHT corners getting in.  On the road to Celaya just inside the ring road.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
OK,  I know the one you mention but never used it. Mentioning Ceyala brings back a funny thing tome as when we had  the GV I took a wrong turn and finished going thru the outside of town to get back on main road and found myself on a road that...

Reply #11
Ya, Celaya is one of the very few places we have gotten lost in Mexico.  Yes, long before GPS.

Hwy 51 jogs in town.  Miss the unmarked turn and you are in the neighborhoods.  Lots of one way streets-- all seemingly going the OTHER WAY. Stopped and...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #12
Do they still have the buses with the double axle front wheels?

Reply #13
Sure, we would be up for a trip. Two or three coaches would be perfect. More than that, the logistics get out of hand. What kind of rules? Love Yucatan but too far to drive a big coach unless you have several months. Partial west coast return in...

Reply #14
Do they still have the buses with the double axle front wheels?

Not in a LONG time.  Tandem front axles allowed for monster buses.  There used to be a pink tandem front tandem rear axle Sultana...

Reply #15
Pierce, I can see why the coach would pull to the right. Probably squatted down afterwards also :))

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Our last trip was a while back,stayed at the El Miridor in Acapulco for $20 a night,that's where Elvis sang from.

Reply #17
Pierce,

We have also done what we call the "burnt chicken tour of Mexico".  Can't go wrong at any of these chicken places. 

I think our favorite is in Patzcuaro. Chickens split, on a spit and stuck in large area full of red hot coals and just a...

Reply #18
Our last trip was a while back,stayed at the El Miridor in Acapulco for $20 a night,that's where Elvis sang from.
That's where the cliff divers jump from. We stayed at the Hotel Al Farao, a next...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Took a whole roll of slides at the bar where all the stars of the 40's branded their signatures on the wall,Luci and Desi,all the big
names.

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #20
Alas Acapulco is not what it used to be as the drug idiots have made it a point to miss now, and traffic is horrible. I think we stayed at the same rv park there Pierce, a block off beach behind Walmart. Nice big park and each site had a little...

• John Haygarth
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Brett. That bus was still there about 3years ago.
JohnH

Reply #22
YUP, have met Mike and Terri and had them over for dinner on our coach.  Very interesting/Renascence couple.

Reply #23
Lots of great memories of Mexico.

One of the highlights was in the "no longer there" RV park in Granja on northern edge of Guad.

An "escape the city" for many wealthy locals who spent weekends there (large swimming pool, park-like setting, etc).

On...

• Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 10:24:41 am by wolfe10

Reply #24
Those are such special stories that we remember to this moment. We were down south of Oaxaca on our way to Guatemala. The locals let us park the coach off the town square, there were no 'parks'. They were having a celebration over the holidays...