Skip to main content

Topic: Front Wheel Bearing Noise (Read 892 times) previous topic - next topic

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Front Wheel Bearing Noise
With 136,000 miles on the coach, the front right wheel bearing was:

- Low on oil, although when the rubber cap was removed, oil was visible just below the minimum sight glass line.
   It only took a fluid ounce or so to fill it back up.
- Making...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Re: Front Wheel Bearing Noise
Reply #1
Tim,part numbers and procedures are covered on previous posts,someone will probably post the part numbers when they wake-up.
Think on this one you may want to find a shop that can replace the bearing AND the race,this is not a costly repair,let us...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
I am in Lakeland, FL., near Tampa. I scanned the Tech Forum and could not see postings on U270 bearing and race part numbers.

To make matters worse, in a tragic turn of events, my 15 year old son was a witness to a friend's shooting near my home...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Tim sorry to hear about your son. PM Red Tractor here on the forum, he can help you out with everything you need on the wheel bearing. He is fairly close to you, if not he can direct to someone. Or any heavy truck place can take care of it. If...

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
If you can't find the parts locally I did see them on Amazon.

Reply #5
Tim,
Yes the races are replaceable, they may look like part of the axle though.  Or maybe I am thinking about the ring for the seal that looks like part of the axle. If you haven't done this, probably best to take it somewhere for repair.  When I...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
I am 30 miles away from Ron, AKA Redtractor. Just bought a sofa from him. I'll give him a PM and a phone call.

Just having you forum members replies made my day because I was tossing and turning last night hallucinating that U270 axel parts were...

Reply #7
I am 30 miles away from Ron, AKA Redtractor. Just bought a sofa from him. I'll give him a PM and a phone call.

Just having you forum members replies made my day because I was tossing and turning last...

Reply #8
I am in the process of replacing bearings, seals, and brake shoes right now. Here is an excellent professional video by Stemco on bearings and seals, along with a little on liability. I watched all three parts.

Reply #9
Any shop that works on OTR trucks should be able to replace them.  They are NOT RV specific.

With metal in the oil, no idea how long they can go before lock-up.

Reply #10
You are only a few miles from Josams on 8849 Exchange Dr. in Orlando:

http://www.josamusa.com/

They are by far the best in the state of Florida.  FT Sales and Service, when FT was in Tampa, Sanford and San Antonio, all three used Josams. Liberty,...

• bbeane
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
X2 on Josam. Used them fo 20 years on big truck work.

Reply #12
While you may get by with topping off the oil, the flakes could indicate a upcoming failure. When a wheel bearing fails, it generates a large amount of heat in a big rig, enough that an easy, one hour R&R can turn into a major job. You can get...

Reply #13
Yup, need new bearings, replace races and replace seals (at least the inner seal for sure).

Reply #14
Fix it now, it can run into a few cb's otherwise...happened to me, when I first noticed I had a problem (slight squeaky type noise) I had gone too far!...pulled over immediately but the damage was done. Yes, they do get hot even if you have...

Reply #15
I can make room at my shop for you, if you need to leave it for a week or two.    Also if you want to change it, I can assist or do it for you. 

Reply #16
Im not sure how the prices there are. Ours was plum full of water when I got it home. I drove it about 20 miles that way. I took it to a local small guy truck mechanic for a fix. He charged me $275 for new bearings and races.

• John44
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #17
Don't sound too bad for the whole job.

Reply #18
Ours was plum full of water when I got it home
Might want to grease the tie rod ends a few extra times, sounds like someone may have dipped their toes a little too deep in the water at a boat ramp...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #19
Thanks to red tractor it will be replaced Monday. It's 30 miles, so I'm sure it will make it. That's a load off my mind, pun intended.

Reply #20
Might want to grease the tie rod ends a few extra times, sounds like someone may have dipped their toes a little too deep in the water at a boat ramp mishap. Does it have a ball hitch on...

• Tim
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #21
Problem fixed. The bearings and race had many scratches and gouges. The reason: probably due to water intrusion since there was rust near the entrance to the rear oil seal. My hero is one of the best mechanics, teacher and forum members I can...

Reply #22
Nice pictures.

Reply #23
I have been following this forum over the past 6 or 8 months because my wife and I have an interest in buying a Foretravel; not only am I astounded by the shared knowledge and kind spirit offered to all who ask for help and understanding of these...

Reply #24
Bob and Leslie we too followed this close knit group and could not believe the amount of information we found on line, the number of people that contacted us to say we may have a problem buying this or that coach, telling us what years were...