Skip to main content
Topic: Laredo crossing (Read 374 times) previous topic - next topic

Laredo crossing

We will cross border in Laredo at Columbia and want to know any helpful info. Last year they made us get out of the coach while making a search. I was VERY unhappy, as they could easily steal stuff or plant stuff, but didn't want to cause problems. As it turned out, they confiscated stuff from our freezer, vegetarian expensive hot dogs, smoked salmon, and put us on the " bad boy" list. Can I refuse to leave the coach without having them dismantle it for me?? Search warrent type issue??
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Re: Laredo crossing

Reply #1
Assume you know where to park while turning in the Mexican paperwork before crossing.

No idea about U.S. customs question.  Probably bite your tongue and SMILE.

When we have crossed there, sometimes easy, once sent us through the truck line to be X-rayed!  Kind of like they really don't know much about RV's.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Texas is the only state to charge you tax on the alcohol you buy in Mexico. Lukeville has always been really friendly. Never a problem in Nogales or Tecate. No one has ever asked us to get out of the coach.

Pierce
Pierce and Gaylie Stewart
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #3
Texas is the only state to charge you tax on the alcohol you buy in Mexico.

Pierce

Correct, but I BELIEVE that the quantity you can bring in with no tax is more for non-Texas residents. 
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #4
We think we will sleep at a toll both north of Monterrey. Don't know how to see it on Google Earth. Anyone know about this? We don't want to drive four hours and then wait in line. I ASSUME that we don't go thru commercial lanes. Made a BIG mistake last year. BIG.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #5
Correct, but I BELIEVE that the quantity you can bring in with no tax is more for non-Texas residents. 
Us Californians were taxed on a quart of Tequila in Brownsville.

P
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #6
Glenn,

I looked at GoogleMaps on a 55 inch 4K display and here is what I came up with: Google Maps

The Columbia border crossing seems to be the one recommended for RVs. A page on crossing it here: The Colombia Border Crossing

Let us know how it goes/went.

Safe travels,

Pierce
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #7
Know what you can bring back beforehand (and declare it!).  I have a good friend who is a 'greeter' at Lukeville. He told me they look for someone 'too nice' or 'not nice enough'. We came back from Rocky Point last week and saw a Prevost in the 'inspection lane #2'; not good. I saw my buddy and asked, 'why".  He simply said, "Smart Ass".
1993 U-240 "La Villa Grande"..CAT 3116 w/ Pacbrake PRXB...Allison 3060 6-speed..
Previous: 1983 Airstream 310 turbo diesel, 1979 Airstream 280 turbo diesel
                                      Build # 4297
                                      PNW natives
                      Home base:  'Cactus Hug' (Ajo, Arizona)
                        DW Judy & Chet the wonder dog
                        Full-Timers 'Sailing the asphalt sea'

Reply #8
For practice with the Feds, go thru a California Border Station, it can be a experience.
1988  40' Grand Villa Cat 3208t

Reply #9
I don't take anything from a rude immigration agent. Coming back from overseas, the agent looked at my wife's passport photo and said, "Guess this is what you used to look like." I immediately asked to see his supervisor and asked her to talk to the officer. She got red in the face about the comment he made and pulled him off duty for an apology.

These guys are public servants and are there to serve us, not make disparaging comments. Easy to think your badge puts you in a different category from the general public. It does not. No matter how much of a hurry I'm in, I'll take the time to complain if an officer gets out of line. Naturally, I will courteously answer any questions he or she has.

Pierce

'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof
SBFD (ret)

Reply #10
Thanks Pierce
This has been quite an adventure. We always figured that Twig wouldn't want to explore central Mexico, as we did, and that we were most likely going to travel that leg of our journey, by ourselves. These last few weeks, we rarely saw another " gringo". It was a little strange, at times, and we got some interesting stares from some of the kids. We really enjoyed this adventure, and look forward to our return , next winter. I appreciate all the guidance you and John and Wolfe have given us. Hope we can be of help to others, when the occasion arises.
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #11
We will cross border in Laredo at Columbia and want to know any helpful info.  . . .  Can I refuse to leave the coach without having them dismantle it for me?? Search warrant type issue??

Ummm no.  It's their court* and their rules.  When I lived in New Hampshire Montreal was 5 hours away.  When I was younger we used to go to Montreal to party.  On the ride home I laid the law down to my guests on how to behave at the border and had te threaten to throw my friends out of the car and let them walk home.  When we arrived, I did my best yes, sir, no, sir and was sent on my way.  I pointed to my left at someone chosen for a closer inspection, and reminded my guests that customs doesn't put your car back together.

*As in "sports."
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #12
We just got done crossing at Columbia Laredo. It was backed up with just two lanes open. We had to get our deposit back for our car, over $400 . Once we inched our way up to the casita, we couldn't find our paperwork!!! OK. we finally found it. They helped us get back into the long line......Mexicans aren't the most considerate when it comes to alternating into a lane. Once we were in the lane....that was that. NO lane changing. We inched our way through the toll booth and into the US Crossing. Mind you....we were
told that this was a good place to cross. As we got near the checkpoint, I looked ahead and told Amy that I hoped we could get through the bollards they had in place. I had set my passenger mirror "in" while traveling Mexico, because they had very narrow tollbooths, and I had witnessed Twig hit his mirror going through one......and he's a GOOD driver!!! We made it through by mere inches. I am always amazed at those who own 40 and 45 foot units, and how THEY are able to negotiate these tight spaces. It seems no one gave a thought to motorhomes using these facilities. It took us three hours of "stop and go" to inch through the crosspoint. I knew it wasn't going to be fun, but........
We had given away our fruits and vegetables before getting to the checkpoint. The inspector came into the coach, looked around from the doorway, wanted us to pay tax on the one bottle of booze we bought in Mexico ( I told him no), and sent us on our way. You never know......
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT

Reply #13
We just got done crossing at Columbia Laredo. It was backed up with just two lanes open. We had to get our deposit back for our car, over $400 . Once we inched our way up to the casita, we couldn't find our paperwork!!! OK. we finally found it. They helped us get back into the long line......Mexicans aren't the most considerate when it comes to alternating into a lane. Once we were in the lane....that was that. NO lane changing. We inched our way through the toll booth and into the US Crossing. Mind you....we were
told that this was a good place to cross. As we got near the checkpoint, I looked ahead and told Amy that I hoped we could get through the bollards they had in place. I had set my passenger mirror "in" while traveling Mexico, because they had very narrow tollbooths, and I had witnessed Twig hit his mirror going through one......and he's a GOOD driver!!! We made it through by mere inches. I am always amazed at those who own 40 and 45 foot units, and how THEY are able to negotiate these tight spaces. It seems no one gave a thought to motorhomes using these facilities. It took us three hours of "stop and go" to inch through the crosspoint. I knew it wasn't going to be fun, but........
We had given away our fruits and vegetables before getting to the checkpoint. The inspector came into the coach, looked around from the doorway, wanted us to pay tax on the one bottle of booze we bought in Mexico ( I told him no), and sent us on our way. You never know......

It's an adventure.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #14
Oh yes....I don't think you would have liked the last few days. We sure missed your company, though.....All in all......a GREAT adventure!!!
Glenn and Amy Beinfest
2001 36' U320
2014 Honda CRV

No Whining on the YACHT