Skip to main content
Topic: Storing Vacuum Cleaner Hose (Read 776 times) previous topic - next topic

Storing Vacuum Cleaner Hose

I have my central vacuum cleaner hose stored a big box but it takes up a lot of room in the closest.

Anyone have some space saver location or ways to store the hose?
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Re: Storing Vacuum Cleaner Hose

Reply #1
Our dinette has a lift up seat and we store the hose under the seat.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Fritz & Kathy Johnson
1991 36'

Reply #2
Do you have the storage space directly under your OEM fridge?  That is where all our vacuum attachments and hose were originally stored.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #3
Maybe now I will find a better place to store mine.. I've been keeping it inside the washing machine.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #4
Dyson..time... :D
Hans & Marjet
1995 U300 "Ben" (#4719)
3176B Cat,4060HD,Jake
SKP#139131
Motorcade#17579
2006 Honda Element (towed)

Reply #5
Our dinette has a lift up seat and we store the hose under the seat.  Have a great day  ----  Fritz
Darn, I dont have a dinette
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #6
Do you have the storage space directly under your OEM fridge?  That is where all our vacuum attachments and hose were originally stored.
My furnace is under my fridge, there is a grate over it that is screwed down but I have to pull it anyway as my blower motor is making a lot of noise but not sure I can block the airflow?
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #8
I installed two white plastic downspouts under the side of the bed, which worked out perfectly. They were completely hidden by the curtain and did not stick out further than the side of the bed platform. I pushed one end of the hose into the top downspout and the other into the one under it.
2000, U320 36' with Cummins 450, Toad - 2016 Ford CMax Energi
Previous MHs; 1970 Winnebago, 1973 FMC 2900R, much later a heavily modified 1975 FMC 2900R.

Reply #9
I installed two white plastic downspouts under the side of the bed, which worked out perfectly. They were completely hidden by the curtain and did not stick out further than the side of the bed platform. I pushed one end of the hose into the top downspout and the other into the one under it.
That is a very good idea, guess you could even use PVC too

Thanks
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #10
Maybe now I will find a better place to store mine.. I've been keeping it inside the washing machine.

Dude. You may have the best place. I never thought of that.
1994 U280, Build 4490
Deming, NM.

Reply #11
Dyson..time

That's what we do. For us it's just a lot easier than using the built in.
jor

Reply #12
jor
That is what I was thinking, it could just stand up in the back of the closet.
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #13
jor
When Michele posted about the Dyson I bought one immediately and have been happy ever since.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #14

We installed tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Carpet in the LR and BR. DW hated the space taken up by the central vac equipment located in cabinet under reefer. She uses a Shark stick plug-in in the closet. We relocated the central vac connection from the lower cabinet to the toe kick area of the kitchen and attached a "vacpan". She absolutely LOVES it. Makes sweeping cleanups super easy and we didn't trash a really nice option that came with the coach.

Honeywell 016925 Central Vacuum Automatic Dustpan, Black Amazon.com: Honeywell 016925 Central Vacuum Automatic Dustpan, Black: Home &...

Alan & Gerri Ortiz
1996 U295 36 ft.
"Rocinante"
Hartwell, Georgia
1999 Subaru Forester
Build No. 4957 Motorcader 17399

Reply #15
When we installed our residential fridge, the OEM built-in central vac (below old fridge) was removed.  At the house, we had a vintage Royal Can Vac (looks like a Dirt Devil) small canister vacuum that was inherited from my parents.  Since it took the same size attachments as the central vac, we just moved it to the coach.  Can carry it in a storage bay, or in a closet, or in the space at the foot of bed.  It is ight, easy to carry around, very compact, and very powerful.  The (claimed) 4 hp motor makes so much torque that it tries to roll over on its side when you first turn it on.

Only downside - it is kinda LOUD.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #16
We installed tile in the kitchen and bathroom. Carpet in the LR and BR. DW hated the space taken up by the central vac equipment located in cabinet under reefer. She uses a Shark stick plug-in in the closet. We relocated the central vac connection from the lower cabinet to the toe kick area of the kitchen and attached a "vacpan". She absolutely LOVES it. Makes sweeping cleanups super easy and we didn't trash a really nice option that came with the coach.

Honeywell 016925 Central Vacuum Automatic Dustpan, Black Amazon.com: Honeywell 016925 Central Vacuum Automatic Dustpan, Black: Home &...
That Dustpan it a cool idea
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #17
Our hose is in the garage rafters where it will remain until we sell the RV.  We found that the Shark Rocket vacuum is much more practical and stores easily under the couch.
2000 U320 mid entry  #5688
2006 Jeep Liberty

USMCR retired
SDFD retired
FEMA US&R TF8

Reply #18
Steve,

If you have the original central vacuum hose, important to know that for many years, there has been an improved version of the hose. It is stronger, lighter, stretchyer, stows in a much smaller space. We store our hose in a plastic basket 15"long x 7"high X 7"deep

"Deluxe stretch hose stores at 7' and stretches to 35' to reach every area of your RV"

Also, our original vacuum motor was larger and less powerful than the new model. We prefer our central vac over our separate vac. We also use Red Devil bags that work very well.

We bought a new vacuum and hose from the manufacturer, but these days many retailers sell it:

H-P Products, Inc., 512 W. Gorgas St., Louisville, Ohio, 44641, 800-822-8356

Buying a new vacuum package may have a price advantage than buying piece-meal and some sellers sell the package at a lower cost than others.

And if you only have the motor on-off from inserting hose, a much better way to temporarily turn on & off while vacuuming would be to add a wireless remote-controlled inexpensive 120-volt switch into which you plug the vacuum in the bay ceiling. We stretch out hose and can turn off while cleaning in the front or rear, if we want. We prefer remotes with separate on & off buttons, (instead of single button press on, press off). Many remotes in the marketplace, here is one I found on Google:

http://thd.co/2JuFypx

Reply #19
Our hose is in the garage rafters where it will remain until we sell the RV.  We found that the Shark Rocket vacuum is much more practical and stores easily under the couch.
I have tools and spare parts in 3 totes under the couch but if I went something like the shark I could box up the hose and stuff and store them in the shed  ^.^d
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #20
Thanks Barry, I think that hose will fit beside the totes under the couch so that may work.

CW has it for $247 and I think I get a discount on top of that.  I just might go this route??
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #21

Amazon also has it: Amazon.com: HP Products 9880 Dirt Devil Central Vacuum System: Gateway

CW $247 less 10% is good price of $222. Sounds good.

Same unit as we have. We mounted vacuum in a little different bay ceiling location and used the old inside vacuum hose to connect the new vacuum to the same inside connection location. A few PVC elbows put it all together for us.

Reply #22
In our previous '03 U295 36', George installed an InterVac central vac that was outstanding:  http://www.intervacdesign.com/c22/FOR-THE-RV.htm 

Here's George's post on the install (he put the unit in the main storage bay):  What did you do to your coach today. - Page 3

A couple of years later, ToTheTrail (also with an '03 U295 36') installed the same unit, but did not want to put it in the storage bay; they found it was easily installed in the drawer below the stove, above the furnace.  Here's their post on the install:  InterVac Central Vacuum Installation.

The nice part about InterVac is the "stretch hose" that comes with the unit.  While it stretches to 40' (it compresses to 8' for storage), it was a little bit of a challenge.  The suction is so powerful that it tends to keep the hose mostly compressed.  However, I would put one foot on the hose, one hand about 3 ft from the grip, and it was easy to use and reached to both ends of our 36' coach (Madelyn Brenneman told me, it reaches all areas of their 42' FT).

We found that the stretch hose and ALL the accessories store nicely in one of the under-refrigerator cabinets:
The selected media item is not currently available.
The selected media item is not currently available.Pat Hatfield
2000 U295 3600 #5666 WTFE (sold 1/7/20)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
previously: 2003 U295 3610 #6228 (sold 5/29/14)
previously:  2009 Honda CRV (sold 6/9/14)

Reply #23
Thanks Pat, I will give that one a look too  ^.^d
Steve

1997 U270 36' build 5179
Motorcade #18147
1980 CJ5

Reply #24
That is what I was thinking, it could just stand up in the back of the closet.
For us the Dyson is even easier than standing it in the closet. We have the charging cord plugged in by the vanity and store the power head in the corner closet behind the Toilet. The brush head and tube stay in the main closet. It's works great, Is very light weight. 
Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr