Skip to main content
Topic: Why are we selling our coach? (Read 2044 times) previous topic - next topic

Why are we selling our coach?

We have decided to sell our coach (2000, U295, 36, no slide).  It will be listed in the classifieds later today.  You can also see pictures of the coach on our website:

2000 Foretravel U295, 36′, no slide | Geoandpat.com

The big question is why?  We just bought it in February from a private party in Houston and spent about five weeks traveling around Texas getting various things fixed, including new MCD double blinds.  Like any Foretravel of this vintage, it takes a lot of attention and work to get it and keep it in near-first-class condition.  We have both been busy over the last five months getting it ready for our annual migration north to the Seattle area.  You can find a list of all those fixes and service performed on our website:

http://wp.geoandpat.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Motorhome-fixes-as-if-051019.pdf

It has been a big job, as we wanted to have the coach in very good condition before we left.  The coach was surveyed by Brett Wolfe prior to its purchase in February 2019, and he thought it was in great shape at that time for its age, and the interior was especially nice.  Almost all the problems he found have been addressed:

http://wp.geoandpat.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Summary-of-Bretts-notes-with-fixes-as-of-041119.pdf

Here is the basic problem for us.  Neither of us especially likes working on an RV, let alone doing it every day for five months straight.  You could say we are "burned out."  We owned a '03 U295 for five years, and when purchased it was 6 years old.  We have found there is a big difference between maintaining a coach of that age and one almost 20 years old.  We want a coach we can enjoy with only an occasional project.  To add to the problem of interest, neither of us is especially skilled as an "RV tech."  Have you ever noticed how many engineer-types own vintage Foretravels?  I'm a retired pharmacist and Pat is a retired healthcare administrator.  Need I say more?  Not having those skills adds to the cost of maintaining the coach, since some of the work must be hired out.

On Sunday we left for our annual trip north to our summer cottage in Anacortes, WA with planned stops in Zion National Park and Great Basin National Park.  Our first night after leaving Tucson is always in Phoenix since Pat's father lives there and we like to visit him on our way north.  While in Phoenix we found that our toilet had a leak!  This was not the coach's "fault," so to speak.  I had rebuilt the toilet a couple of weeks earlier and it seemed fine.  But what I didn't realize is that the band that holds the bowl to the base was not tight enough.  Once it was tightened, the problem was solved, but we lost a day waiting for the RV tech to arrive.  This was the "straw that broke the camel's back."  We both finally decided that Foretravel ownership is no longer for us and that we should sell the coach.  So we returned to Tucson.  Let's face it, the coach needs an owner that is a better plumber!

As you will see from the ad and our website, the coach is in very good shape.  The engine, brakes, bulkheads, and front end have all been recently serviced.  New airbags have been installed and I just put on 4 new Michelin tires (the other two tires were replaced in 2018).  Of course, there will always be things that need to be fixed over time.  It will need new fuel lines sometime in the future (Keith Risch advised against doing it this year).  One of the fan motors has had a seep around the shaft which seems to come and go.  It has leaked very little in the last 500 miles.  And the passenger side windshield has developed a crack near the top and needs to be replaced.  The coach is not perfect, but it is in very good condition.  The problem is not with the coach, it is with the owners!

As we prepare to bid farewell to the Forum, we must say that it has been a great resource of knowledge and inspiration.  Everyone has been quick to respond to our questions and very supportive.  It is a real treasure.
The selected media item is not currently available.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Re: Why are we selling our coach?

Reply #1
Sounds like a very good coach for many
Mike
2001 U320 4010 Build 5878 (Gus)
Wrangle Unlimited Toad
Nacogdoches

Reply #2

I agree. Particularly with the work George has had done since inspection.

Also agree with George-- a 20 year old coach is not everyone's cup of tea.  If not looking for a "hobby" (part time hobby at least)...........

George, sorry to see you leave the Foretravel world, but completely understand. Someone will get a very good coach.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #3
Not really necessary for you guys to explain your decision, except that it may ease the concerns of potential buyers.  Preferences and priorities change as we move through life.  Best to be honest with yourself about what you want to do, and then do it.

Good luck with the sale.  Short (36') coaches with no slides are very appealing to a certain segment of the RV community.  They are great for camping in older state and national parks where the roads and camp sites favor a compact footprint and more maneuverable chassis.
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Sorento (or BOLT) on a Kar Kaddy SS
"It goes without saying..."

Reply #4
George
I will miss reading about your projects, I just said to my DW that George sure has a lot going on with his coach all the time. Good luck with your sale
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36' Build # 5534
Xtreme "Lights, Stripes & Roof"
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #5
I would say that if you travel to somewhat fixed locations and may not even stay in the coach when you get there, then any type of large RV probably isn't needed.  Maybe a class B would fit your travel style better.  Everyone travels just a little bit different than the other guy.
  Personally we love to take a different path if possible and really love the concept of being at home ( so to speak) where ever we're parked. Even at a rest area ( parked so close you can barely get the door open) or a truck stop your home when you step inside. 
Currently our FT provides everything we need wherever we are and we're looking forward to some cool upgrades. It's our 57 Chevy "George n Steph" too.

Do what makes ya happy.

Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #6
Sorry to see you go, George.  I enjoyed meeting you both while in the Houston area and wish you the best.

Chris
1996 U295 36' WTBI

Reply #7
Wishing you and Pat the best of luck with the sale and your next chapter in this adventure of life.  A big thank you for your explanation of the toilet leak as I have one now and am going to order new seals before I take the clamp off.

Maybe we will see you again next time we visit Jeff & Carol.                        ^.^d
Ted & Karen
2001 U270 36' - sold after 12 years full timing

Reply #8
So sorry for your issues and understand the daily fixes, etc.  We also had a coach that was only a couple of years old and there is a big difference in issues, etc.  Our best to you both!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #9
George and Pat ,
You are going to be missed. If you guys are ever in Ashville N.C.  Come see us over in Raleigh.
All The BEST Karl and Madelyn

Reply #10
George and Pat?

Was it the toilet, the burnout or worry about undertaking a cross country trip in a nearly 20 year old machine?  If the latter, and if you want to give it another try, do this.  When you hear, what pilots call automatic rough, turn up the radio.  Maybe sing along.  This helped me on many long rides home from car shows in the 1950 Chrysler, on Sunday night, in the rain.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Charlie, the Dog was broken out of jail 24 Oct 2023
N1RPN
AA1OH (H)e who must be obeyed.

Reply #11
George,sleep on it a few nights,you may feel different,most of the expensive things are already done,hate to see you go.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #12
Take a trip and stay in a hotel a few nights. You will smile when you get home and that gorgeous FT is sitting in your driveway.
Lynn & Marilyn Sickel
Tollville, AR
1997  U320  40'
2021 Chevrolet Silverado pickup
Motorcader  17257

Reply #13
Should make a good coach for someone. You'll feel a sense of relief as the new owner drives away. My advice: As soon as it is out of sight, delete the foreforums site immediately and don't ever, for any reason, visit the site again. If you do, be forewarned. You will be in a dangerous situation just like Al Pacino in The Godfather - "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
jor

Reply #14
But,,, fortunately for us several previous Foretravel ( you know who you are) owners have not done that. Thank goodness !!

I for one realy need that collective knowledge. ( anything I can do to avoid future screw ups is good ).

Either way George I wish you well and safe travels.
Robert and Susan Moe Sr.
 1995 36' 280 WTBI 8.3 3060r
 1200 watts on the roof, 720 Ah of lithium's
 Build # 4637. Motorcade # 17599
        FMCA  # 451505
        18  Wrangler JLUR

Reply #15
Our GV is 33 years old... original engine ( gas) with 45,000 miles, original plumbing,  original suspension with just ride height bags in the rear, original Gen Set,  we had to have an transfer switch component replaced,  original toilet and shower pieces, all original appliances except the microwave unit.  No leaks, a few decal issues in some places...  we did 5,000 miles last year and we are relocating to North Shore Lake Superior  ( MN) next week from Boulder CO and plan to use the coach a few time per month to Thunder Bay Canada, Superior National Forest and anywhere we want to go...... did we get lucky with our purchase... probably... but I wouldn't trade this experience for anything... hope you all sleep on this decision and see you on the road...
1986 Grand Villa, 454 Chevrolet, 33 SBI tag axle
Build # 2658
2nd owner, original owner was Newman/Freeman Racing, racer Bill Freeman and actor/racer Paul Newman

Reply #16
I applaud George for making his decision after his trials and his deliberation with his coach of his Pursuit of Happiness. For that is what it is--a pursuit, and they have decided their happiness means going in a different direction.
Those of us who have the inclusion of a Foretravel coach or SOB in our pursuit find it a bit hard to understand their decision. BUT, to each his own.
Good luck to them. Don't be strangers to this website, as we all enjoyed their very well thought out contributions.
May they find their path to happiness. I know it sounds trite, but it is what it is.
They have some good memories to call upon, and that is what owning a Foretravel coach is all about. The journey, the memories, the friends, this website, and now the progression into another phase of their lives.
Nitehawk,  Demolition Lady, & our NEW master, Zippy the speeding BB cat.
1989 Grand Villa 36' ORED
Oshkosh chassis, 8.2 DD V8
2006 Saturn Vue AWD

Reply #17
My 2 cents and experiences.  Our first coach was a 39' Newell, then when we went full-time we moved up to a 45' 2 slide Newell.  Then we bought our last home and sold the Newell.  Thought we were done and started renting houses or cabins for a month each in areas we enjoyed.  Then wanted to do more traveling so bought a 26' LazyDaze.  That lasted a year before we decided we wanted something a bit larger.  We're in a 36' FT now and are on our way to spend the summer in Alaska.  But how long will we keep the FT?  A few years probably then we might downsize to a small class B to make traveling easier to cabin rentals.  But that will only be when the FT gets too difficult to manage. 
The point is some people are satisfied with their coach for a long time.  Others like us adjust as our situations change.  No option is correct or incorrect.  It's what works for you.  So George I hope that you continue enjoying life to its fullest.
BTW I'm still very active on the Newell forum and am a moderator there.  I enjoy sharing experiences and help whenever I can.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #18
George, Best of luck on your next adventure. 
2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2018 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #19
  Like any Foretravel of this vintage, it takes a lot of attention and work to get it and keep it in near-first-class condition
 for us.
Totally understand that George and something I did not fully understand I think when I made the decision to purchase a foretravel.
Have you ever noticed how many engineer-types own vintage Foretravels?  I'm a retired pharmacist and Pat is a retired healthcare administrator.  Need I say more?  Not having those skills adds to the cost of maintaining the coach, since some of the work must be hired out.
Again, good point. To have to pay someone to do all the work really adds up. I knew I would have to do most of my own work to be able to manage it. Having had 2 sailboats I figured, no problem. But with this type of rig, its a bit different. Sometimes I wish I had gone with a sprinter van and converted it. Still might. But really like the small house feel these rigs give us. No bending over for us!
As we prepare to bid farewell to the Forum, we must say that it has been a great resource of knowledge and inspiration.  Everyone has been quick to respond to our questions and very supportive.  It is a real treasure.
This I also agree with. Although some of us might be a little.... self righteous ... but usually its for a good reason.  But those are easy to ignore.
Trying to sell my 2012 BMW motorcycle and its damn hard. Takes time. Just don't be in a hurry I tell myself.
Hope you sell it fast and your journey is what you are looking for.
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #20
That sprinter drivetrain and systems are going to be way more complicated and problamatic Maybe. Technology Marches forward only. In more complications. I took steps backs and bought a simple ORED for smooth simple sailing..89 is Divine so far.
Old Phart Phred, EIEIO
89 GV ored 36' #3405 300 hp cat 3208 ATAAC side radiator, mountain tamer exhaust brake

Reply #21
Thanks for all the nice comments.  It has been three weeks since I started this thread and we have completed our 1800-mile migration from Tucson to Anacortes in the coach.  We really enjoyed the trip... very comfortable.  That is the reason we bought the FT in the first place.  And the "to do" list is all but complete.  As someone said, the longer we keep it, the bigger the chance of falling back into the Foretravel "vortex."  Very true.  The coach is still for sale, but the urgency to sell is somewhat reduced.  We found a great place to store it here in Anacortes, about 5 minutes from our summer place.  It is in a boatyard... fitting for a "land yacht" of sorts.
George Hatfield

Never ever use World Line Motors of Nacogdoches for service!

Reply #22
Neither of us especially likes working on an RV, let alone doing it every day for five months straight.  You could say we are "burned out."  We owned a '03 U295 for five years, and when purchased it was 6 years old.  We have found there is a big difference between maintaining a coach of that age and one almost 20 years old.  We want a coach we can enjoy with only an occasional project.  To add to the problem of interest, neither of us is especially skilled as an "RV tech." 

The way we look at it is thus. While we have had quite a few problems and have been frustrated. When i see others getting by "cheap" by doing their own work and we spend a bunch for techs to fix it. Then I look at what it would take to really work on it myself. I do have mechanical knowledge. But I don't have the shop or tools.
1, Build a coach house to work on it. $30-50K Likely more. Buy the land and have utilities brought in as my home is on a city sized lot. Another $20-30K minimum.
2, Fill the shop with the appropriate Machine tools, Woodworking tools & plumbing tools.  Another $10K ?
So there is more cost than one might realize in working on your coach to save money. So even with my $36K in repairs in the last 3.5 years. That $36K MIGHT have bought me a small plot of land with utilities.

Jerry & Nona and Kimeru the cat that thinks she's a dog
1998 36' WTFE U320  #5314 Motorcade #17711
USAF 1975-1995
2019 Subaru Crosstrek 'toad'
2003 Subaru Legacy touring car
jerry Fincher | Flickr

Reply #23
George glad to hear you had a good trip back to Washington. Sounds like the hard work you have put in have paid off. Hopefully you have gone over the hump and have the worst behind you. While there will always be projects hopefully you will have less and more time to enjoy it. I understand your frustration with it. Hopefully your decision to sell was made in haste of your frustration and some enjoyment will get you to change your mind. I have enjoyed reading your posts. My opinion on doing the work on things myself is this, with information (there is a lot here and on the internet) I can do most things myself, I may have to buy a tool here and there but they are cheap compared to Labor rates and I learn the coach. Good luck with what ever decision you make. Hope to welcome you back to the vortex soon.

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #24
The only way out of the fix up cost is to finish it and drive the money out of the coach
"Riding and rejoicing"
Bob & Susan
1997 U320 40' Mid entry, build 5132,  wtbi ce27, 4th owner
2007 Solara convertible
2 prodeco tech outlaw ss electric bikes

1095 watts solar
08 Ls 460 and a sc430
2000 Ford F-250 superduty 4x4