Skip to main content

Topic: My battery issue (Read 223 times) previous topic - next topic

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
My battery issue
Thought I would continue this over here as it has gone away from technical.

I have had my portable AGM 2, 10, 20 amp charger on the house batteries all day now. First at 20 Amps for 4 hours, Then at 10 Amps. Just returned from a bicycle ride and...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: My battery issue
Reply #1
13.1 VDC is too low for BULK MODE, and that is what you should be in.  Certainly 14 VDC.  Low 13's is fine for FLOAT MODE (once batteries are fully charged, but will not fully charge the batteries.

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
OK, I went out and started the genset. It went to charge for about 30 seconds then went to accept at 14.3 V @ 15 Amps.

Reply #3
Sounds like you are approaching full charge-- only 15 amps @ 14.3 indicates that.  30 seconds is VERY fast to move out of bulk mode.

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
I just fear that the batteries are weakened. So now I have the dilemma of, do I put new ones in or go camping next week with the old ones to see what happens.

Reply #5
Now that they are fully charged, take them to a place that will load test them (individually).  That will give you the FACTS to make a good decision.

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
Doh!!  And I just talked about that a couple days ago.   I swear my mind is going downhill fast. 

Reply #7
A desulfurization electronic little  device, maybe one per battery should/may slowly bring them back.

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Took the coach in to have the house batteries tested. All were at 12.8 V and all of them pulled more than their rated 1450 CCA. Lowest one was 1480 CCA, Highest was 1550 CCA. All tested good.

Perhaps I dodged a bullet on this one. But still likely...

Reply #9
Definitely a desulfurizer would be attached to my agm's

Amazon.com: Pulsetech PowerPulse Battery Maintenance System: Sports & Outdoors

• bigdog
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #10
And the Inverter/charger finally went into float mode @ 13.3V.

Geez, What a couple of days.