Skip to main content

Topic: Glue/Adhesive for end cap seam (Read 373 times) previous topic - next topic

Glue/Adhesive for end cap seam
Update: Thanks for the great advice - I ended up using 3M 4200 and I wanted to show my pressure contraption. 1) Fiberglass flexible shop broom 2) Block of 1 x 6 wood with carpet underneath and 3) Nylon strap with buckles to pull tension on the...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.
  • Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 06:12:37 pm by pibutler

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Re: Glue/Adhesive for end cap seam
Reply #1
Pat,  I hear very good things about 3M 4200.  If you want to never remove the strip, then 3M 5200.  Would need clamping during curing, I think.

Painter's tape on either side of strip to keep excess off of paint and you are good to go.

Reply #2
Rudy's suggestion on material is good. Since it would be hard to clamp that area, take a long 2x4 and lean it up against the strip until it dries. Block the bottom of the board with something heavy and pry down on the board at the strip.

Reply #3
Excellent idea - thanks!

I love this forum.

Reply #4
Cure time is a bit long but those are good adhesive and worth the time. Use them frequently on boats.

• Pyolet
  • [*][*][*]
Reply #5
I'd use 3M VHB tape.  Easier to remove later if you need to.  Here's the link: Amazon.com: 3M Scotch 4910 VHB Tape: 1 in. x 15 ft. (Clear): Gateway

Reply #6
I don't think that part was ever intended to come off, and with the tape the strip wouldn't get flush. The 3M tape is great for the solar panels and other projects though.

Reply #7
I would call extreme myself for advice

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Whatever adhesive you decide on,when you go to put pressure on the trim I would use a load lock.Being retired from the trucking business I still have a couple.. I believe the load secure gizmos for the bed of a pickup truck work similar.. Get one...

Reply #9
Great info - I really appreciate the feedback.
Pat

Reply #10
You can use a truck innertube to apply the pressure to hold the trim while it dries.  Pull up next to a building, tree, post and then put the innertube between the stationary item and the coach.  Just add air and set and watch glue dry.

Mike

Reply #11
The 3M product is  4200 UV Marine Adhesive Sealant. This is a faster cure, UV resistant adhesive.  Lots of ways to apply pressure but you should

3M Marine Adhesive/Sealant Fast Cure 4200, 06560, White, 1/10 Gallon:...

VHB tape is not easy to remove...

Reply #12
Excellent feedback - I ordered both the 3M 4200 and the 3M Tape. Most likely use the 4200 and add pressure and keep the tape in case I ever need it for some other fix.

Thanks to all
Pat

Reply #13
Thanks for the great advice - I ended up using 3M 4200 and I wanted to show my pressure contraption. 1) Fiberglass flexible shop broom 2) Block of 1 x 6 wood with carpet underneath and 3) Nylon strap with buckles to pull tension on the fiberglass...

• Rudy
  • [*]
  • Commercial Member
Reply #14
PB

You did good.  Next time I start an RV fix it company, you will be my first hire.  You will be pleased with the choice 4200.

Reply #15
Nice job, Pat.  Leave the pressure on for a couple days at least.

• Dub
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #16
Thats resourceful.. Good job

Reply #17
Pat,
If you haven't already, ensure that your HWH leveling system is turned off while your pressure lever setup is in place.  Any coach movement may try to walk that broom handle off of your pressure plate.
Thanks,
Neal

Reply #18
Thanks - I did turn off the HWH in case it settled or added air.