Skip to main content

Topic: Generator not generating (Read 477 times) previous topic - next topic

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Generator not generating
Saturday morning we left one park on our way to another. As is our practice, I started the Detroit and then the generator. That provides air conditioning and refrigerator as we drive. All was good on Saturday as we started our trip south. Drove...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Generator not generating
Reply #1
One of the transfer switches is for the inverter.

Reply #2
There are two boxes that look alike there.
If your coach is like ours was (both our boxes are gone now) then it looks like the photo below showing the two silver boxes.

The Progressive PD52 is a...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
Finally had a bit of time this morning to see what's what. I pulled the cover off of the transfer switch (after pulling the cover off of the inverter box first) and verified that I had 120 VAC coming in and going out while plugged into the power...

Reply #4
Probably the voltage regulator on the generator, lots of issues with them. Call Jeff at Powertech and he will walk you through the trouble shooting to verify.

Reply #5
Probably the voltage regulator on the generator, lots of issues with them. Call Jeff at Powertech and he will walk you through the trouble shooting to verify.

I agree. But before you do,...

Reply #6
Here are some pics of the generator, if that helps.
Probably nothing to do with your "not generating" problem, but you need to keep an eye on that white plastic radiator overflow bottle.  It...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #7
Yes, I know. That picture was taken while I had the door open and was adding coolant and checking oil. Since those were part of the album for selling the coach I probably ought to take another picture AFTER I check the coolant level.

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #8
Well, it is generating again. I pulled it out as far as it would go, took the lid off of the electrical box, and poked around a bit. First discovery was that the nut holding the elbow for the high voltage wires was loose, so I put it back on. I...

Reply #9
It sounds like after your experience that you are the one who knows what they are doing ^.^d

Larry

Reply #10
KB0ZKE DE N1RPN
You really need t trust yourself.  This type of trouble shooting isn't brain surgery, and you have a better chance of finding the source for this type of problem than the $140/hour experts in Nacodoches.  Save the experts for when...

• kb0zke
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #11
I can poke and prod stuff, but WHY it stopped working is my question. Since it is working now, I may never know. I'll probably mention it to whoever I get to do the service work (if I remember) and see what they think. They are going to have to...

Reply #12
I'm pretty sure you have a loose connection in there and when you were moving the wires around it tighten things up a little bit but don't be surprised if it happens again unless you splice new connectors or tighten things up or something like...

Reply #13
I would still call Jeff at Power Tec and go over the issue with him.  He is very good at trouble shooting everything with you.  The call is free and worth it.  Those regulators get very hot.  Maybe yours is starting to go bad.  If that's the...

Reply #14

I'm one of those people who is willing to give something a try, but most of the time I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm just going on previous experience with similar things - and...

Reply #15
We can always learn new things.

The Feynman Technique: The Best Way to Learn Anything
I love that concept....  except I don't much like 6 graders...  @#$!@*%$# know it alls.....   :))
No...

Reply #16
I love that concept....  except I don't much like 6 graders...  @#$!@*%$# know it alls.....   :))
No really its a great concept.   8)
Richard Feynman was invited to join the committee...