Skip to main content
Topic: Electric Question  (Read 604 times) previous topic - next topic

Electric Question

When we use our small toaster oven on shore power I notice a significant hum from our Xantrex Freedom 815-3012 (main inverter). I would have thought shore power passed straight through when connected.

Please help me understand.

Thanks
Randy (N4TDT) and Karen Crete
Sarasota, Florida
2000 U270 34' WTFE Build 5756 "Ole Red"
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Re: Electric Question

Reply #1
Randy,

Suspect on your model year you have TWO ATS's.  The second one should put power directly from the first ATS through the second one.  With two, the automatic pass through feature of the inverter/charger is not called into play unless the second ATS has failed.

So, if you do have two, check that the second one is functioning.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #2
Randy,  If you are on shore power all of the inverter powered circuits should be powered from the shoreline connection.  Try shutting off the inverter and see if the noise changes.  If the noise goes away it may be the inverter.  And like Brett suggests if you have two ATS check the second one. If the inverter is off are the Inverter circuits powered?

Reply #3
If the second ATS has failed, it is possible that the "pass through feature" of the inverter/charger IS working, but is overloaded.

Ability to carry more load than the inverter/charger was designed to pass through is the reason for the second ATS.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #4
Inverter off and toaster oven works properly. No hum.  So, ?
Sarasota, Florida
Follow Us: Login • Instagram  Camping for the Rest of Life – It does not matter how slowly you go so long you don't stop

Reply #5
So that means the second coach ATS is working.  If it switched to the land line side then the inverter output has nowhere to go.  The inverter Internal ATS should only be in pass through mode if the inverter is seeing 120v..

Is sounds like you might have a faulty ATS in the Inverter.

Reply #6
So that means the second coach ATS is working.  If it switched to the land line side then the inverter output has nowhere to go. The inverter Internal ATS should only be in pass through mode if the inverter is seeing 120v..

Is sounds like you might have a faulty ATS in the Inverter.

Yes, BUT:  The inverter should still be seeing 120 VAC from the main breaker panel and should be charging the battery. Agree that it will not/should not be "inverting" since on shore power through the second ATS there is no load on it.

But, I have not owned a coach with the second ATS, so don't know what the inverter does when it has both 120 VAC in AND its pass through feature has "no where to go".  Hopefully someone else will have run into this. 

Until figured out, just turn off the inverter function when on shore power. That will mean it only charges the batteries.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #7
Playing tourist in Door County today so please excuse the delay in responding. We've got another month in the road so unless things change we'll just shut the inverter off when on shore power.  Thanks
Sarasota, Florida

Reply #8
Be sure to find Bea's HoMade Products.  Bea's Ho-Made Products  When we first went there 40 + years ago is was just a 2 car garage.  Bigger now with many more products.  Hot pepper jelly is great,  Cherry anything,  berry anything.  Good food choices at Gill's Rock.  Used to be a great place at Northport at the ferry dock but I think it is gone.  Lake side drive is nice and faster.  Or drive right down the middle of the peninsula through amazing small hamlets.

OK... if the inverter/charger is seeing 120 v and it has an internal ATS it will switch to pass 120v through.  When you have a second Coach ATS it switches to the land line side and the inverter/charger pass through has no where to go.

This is how mine works. the problem is that the Inverter/charger is only connected to 20 amps from the main panel. It can be connected to up to 50 amp which requires bigger breakers and wiring to the Inverter/Charger. and then if you are going to use the internal ATS and bypass the second Coach ATS you need much bigger wiring again.  and with a Multiplus it will pass through up to 50 amps and invert another 14 amps at the same time as loads demand for up to 64 amps, even bigger wire.  I have not done this major rewire, I depend on the coach's second ATS and much more available power from the land line on the secondary panel circuits.

So the coach's second ATS seems to be OK and with the Inverter/Charger off no noise.  With it back on noise.  can you turn off the inverter on the Inverter/Charger?  I can switch mine to charge only.  Is the noise localized to the Inverter/Charger?  The internal ATS seems suspect to me.

Are there any loose panels or covers?

Time to give Xantrex a call.