Skip to main content
Topic: How to get repair work done following an accident? (Read 2454 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: How to get repair work done following an accident?

Reply #50
I live 100 miles from you on I 30 on your way to Nac. If I you need more tools or supplies than you have you can call me 870 556 0138.
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #51
I stand corrected. Love the forum for straight information.

? Was there a LLP way to avoid?
Thought I read that is why. High value new buyers were using the SD way.
Mark
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #52
I hate to keep adding more here but...
When we pulled into the campground yesterday after the 2 mile ride from the impound lot, my wife was standing behind the coach directing me and was very concerned about the noise she heard from the engine compartment. I went out, listened to it and agreed it was not what it sounded like prior to the accident. Today we took some video. It sounded worse yesterday, but still not right today. In the second video it looks like the pulley at top right is not spinning consistently. Also the belt seems to be flapping. Too loose? These are new belts, maybe not adjusted properly when installed? Here is the video link:
Engine Noise - Google Photos
1998 U295 36' No slides
Towing 2018 Jeep Wrangler
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1998 34' Fleetwood Bounder
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC
  1999 24' Winnebago Minnie Class C

Reply #53
Turn OFF the dash A/C and let us know if the noise changes.
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #54
Dan,

That is the compressor for the dash A/C unit. With the front end damage you may have damaged a hose causing the system to loose freon.  The compressor may be cycling due to the low pressure cut off switch. As has been posted report back after you cut off the dash air

Mike
Pamela & Mike 97 U 320

"It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

Reply #55
Dan,

That is the compressor for the dash A/C unit. With the front end damage you may have damaged a hose causing the system to loose freon.  The compressor may be cycling due to the low pressure cut off switch. As has been posted report back after you cut off the dash air

Mike
You guys are great. That's exactly what it is. Don't know if it's related to the accident, but at least it's not something that would prevent me from driving the coach. Thanks.
1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #56
Dan, that is dash air compressor, loosen it remove belt or cut belt, or maybe turn dash air off and pully will free-wheel without noise. By the way the sound seems normal.

Can you tell us what happened to cause the damage.

Reply #57
No need to cut the belt unless the bearings on the compressor/clutch are bad.

So, before cutting it, just turn it off (or even disconnect the wire to the compressor) and see if the noise/vibration goes away.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #58
Hopefully if totalled. You save state tax.

Update idea: after all you were planning on titling it in South DAKOTA. Which has no sales tax on rv.

Tex;  South Dakota has a sale tax, as we registered our coach there last year.  You might be thinking about Montana.
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus

Reply #59
Great example of how powerful and wonder full this forum and the staff behind the scene are. The checks and balance of correctly getting facts. Of course always do your own diligence on subjects if possible. Thanks for all Mark
1999 U270 40 #5518
USN. USPS.

Reply #60
Absolutely take it back to NAC, do all the above, trust me you don't want an inexperienced shop to touch your coach.  I made the mistake of taking mine to a " local to me RV repair facility that came highly recommend, but boy was it a BIG BIG mistake.  I had considerable damage from a hail storm that came thru out area a few years back.  I decided to go ahead and take it to the local shop, was thinking it wouldn't take as long and I would be able to keep a watchful eye on the repairs, well again I should have taken it to Xtreme for the repairs.  Again you don't always get what you pay for.  I wish that I would have drove it back down to have the repairs completed.  Most all worked out but I am still repaired little things that were charged for but we're not done correctly.  The facility saw big dollar signs when they got it in their shop, kept it for nearly 4 months.  If anyone wants the name of the place I will give it to you but not in the forum.  I would never recommend them to anyone at all.  She's all good now but gosh would never want another person to make the mistake I made.
2003 U320 4220 42' Tag Axle
"Babe The Big Blue Ox"
Motorcade #18069
🤔Mark and Angela Bumgarner 😎

Reply #61
Dan, that is dash air compressor, loosen it remove belt or cut belt, or maybe turn dash air off and pully will free-wheel without noise. By the way the sound seems normal.

Can you tell us what happened to cause the damage.
Don't know what the cause was yet, but simply turning off the A/C switch on the dash either shuts down the compressor (or maybe a clutch, anyway that outermost portion of the pulley stops turning) and the clicking noise stops.
1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #62
Turning off the dash A/C shuts off 12 VDC positive to the compressor clutch so the compressor is not engaged.

If that fixed it, you are good to go.
Brett Wolfe

Reply #63
The clicking sound is simply the AC clutch pulling in and dropping out. When the AC is "on" the compressor is controlled by a low pressure switch, high pressure switch and of course the thermostat.

Front end damage could and probably did result in freon loss which would cause short cycling of the compressor if low on freon.

Hope you get these issues worked out soon and will be able to enjoy your new to you Foretravel

Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #64
Hate to say it but strongly suspect it will be totaled.  The damaged/displaced front cap is a big deal.  If you have it transported to Nac I'd be sure that the insurance co is paying for it, and not pulling some little stunt like deducting transport cost from future settlement.  That said, it's fixable but doubt you'd want to pay Xtreme out of pocket.

"Not so  long ago we were a nation of risk takers, riding five million pounds of  thrust straight into space."  Joe Gresh
Chuck Pearson
1996 U295
2018 Can Am X3 TurboRS

Reply #65
Call and send pictures to Extreme, Xtreme Paint & Graphics    (936)560-5888
they may do an estimate for you.  Their work comes highly recommended by me and many others.
97 U295 40, Build #5040, 6C8.3 325 HP
Oregon Continuous Traveler
Samsung Residential #RF20HFENBSR,
Xantrex SW2012, (3)AGM8D Hse, (2)AGM Grp24 Eng, Victron BMV-712, 1800w Solar 4 LG & 2 Sunpower
Extreme Full Body Pt w/hdlmps, new furn/floor, 4 down Lexus 2004 GX470 AWD curb weight 4,740 lbs
Prev: 1990 Barth, 10L 300 2 yrs; 91&92 Monaco Signature, 10 yrs, 10L C 300 &  6C8.3 300; 1997 ForeT 6C8.3 325 since May 2017.  Employed by Guaranty RV 14+ yrs.  Former VW New Car Dlr/Service Dlr, Sales Mgr, Rv Sales, and Service Adviser from 1968-2017
"Don't criticize what you can't understand" Bob Dylan

Reply #66
They will do phone estimate and work with your insurance adjuster and get you going.
No finer people to do business with.
Tim Fiedler    2000  Foretravel U-320 4010
2000 Chevy Tracker 2 Door Convertible 4WD Now lifted 4.5"
1985 Citroen 2CV6 Charleston
Murphy Rebel on wheels with 175HP Titan
Cessna 185 on Aerocet 3500 straight floats. (1/4 share)
1980 48' Westport MY (!/4 Share)

Reply #67
Call and send pictures to Extreme, Xtreme Paint & Graphics    (936)560-5888
they may do an estimate for you.  Their work comes highly recommended by me and many others.
Xtreme has already done the estimate and sent it to Progressive. Progressive has subsequently asked RVFOGDR to come down and do an on-site estimate. Hopefully that happens Monday or Tuesday.
1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #68
Would it be unrealistic to look into doing the headlight conversion/upgrade at this point? Would that cost significantly more than the $25-30k estimate we got from Xtreme to repair things to the old style?
1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #69
I'd suggest that you speak to Xtreme about this off line. I'm sure they've dealt with situations like this before and can help you navigate.

Personally I wouldn't let anyone else do the work. They do great work and are great people. I had some things done last year.... awesome experience.
1993 U300 40ft GV SE
Build # 4344

Western NC mountains

Reply #70
FWIW, when I had some front end damage a year ago(the turkey did not survive) Xtreme(my first choice) was fully booked but FT could handle it.  I had had Xtreme do my headlight conversion ten years ago.  FT borrowed the mold from Xtreme to make the repair.  Excellent cooperation between the two companies.  When I've needed both mechanical and body work done at the same time, they scheduled the repairs together to make sure everything got done.  Dan's repairs may probably require similar efforts.
Regards,
Brett

'99 42' Foretravel Xtreme
'14 Brown Motorsports Stacker
'05 Chevy SSR
'02 BMW R1150R

Reply #71
You will want the headlight conversion done.. many of us have had both types of lights and when you witness the conversion driving at night you would never go back even if it cost you some out of pocket..
Dub McBride 1996 270

Reply #72
Tuesday update: Left Little Rock 6am, arrived in Nac 6pm. Decided to try stitching everything up with baling wire and duct tape, and we made it. Xtreme will look at the front-end damage in person in the morning and then we'll pow-wow with Progressive Insurance and see what they're willing to do.
1998 U295 36' No slides
Previous rigs:
  1995 26' Fleetwood Flair
  1997 40' Bluebird BMC

Reply #73
Happy to hear you made it safely, wish you luck with the repair............

Hopefully the "tough luck" is all behind you now.
Justin & Cathy Byrd
1995 U280 "Old Faithful"
36' Build #4673
C8.3 Cummins
Allison MD3060R 6 speed - retarder
Powertech 10KW  4cyl Kubota

Reply #74
Proud of you. Now you (and we) know anything that happens to the coach you will be able to handle it.  Glad you got to  Naco.  As the commercial says. "You are in good hands"

Here is also another example what good this forum does in helping people.  Thank you Steve and Michelle
2014 ih45  (4th Foretravel owned)
 1997 36' U295 Sold in 2020, owned for 19 years
  U240 36' Sold to insurance company after melting in garage fire
    33' Foretravel on Dodge Chassis  Sold very long time ago