Skip to main content
Topic: Any opinions on Nacogdoches Motorhome Service? (Read 1462 times) previous topic - next topic

Any opinions on Nacogdoches Motorhome Service?

Looking for opinions on Nacogdoches Motorhomes service shop. I need to have a slide seal replaced and I am considering all my options. I've dealt with Foretravel , and I've dealt with Motorhomes Of Texas but I've never had any dealings with Nacogdoches Motorhomes service, anybody have any suggestions or comments, good bad or ugly to help me make my decision on which to choose from a slide seal.

Keith
The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
Motorcade #18070   
Pasadena, Texas
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Re: Any opinions on Nacogdoches Motorhome Service?

Reply #1
We had a bunch of work done there. No issues. Great guys. Highly recommend.
Christine & Jimmy
Nomadic, Full-time Life in Progress...
1997 U295/36/C8.3
600 AH BB-LiFePo/1080 Watts Solar
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
** Social media: curiosity-in-motion

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. ~Dorothy Parker~

Reply #2
I think that FOT can do the job in one day so you are not out of your coach overnight. 

HWH takes 1 1/2 days so we needed to spend a night in a hotel.

Don't know about MOT or NMS but might be worth checking if this is a consideration for you.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
2002 U270 3610 WTFS, build #5939--"Freedom"
2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4xe
SMI AirForceOne brake system
PakCanoe 15

Reply #3
I submitted a post a couple of weeks ago about them.  I HIGHLY recommend them.  They had our coach for 4 days and did a long list of things I asked for.  New Redhead Steering Box, New Brake Slide Pins, New compressor in the storage bay, and much more.  They were very thorough and did everything I asked for at a reasonable price.  I stopped by a couple of times a day and spoke with them as the work was done.  Seth, Bruce and Team are great guys.  A plus is, they will let you plug in and stay in your Coach if you need to.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #4
Keith, one other thing, give them a call and talk with Bruce or Seth.  They will spend all the time you need discussing your coach and what they would do.  If I need any major work, I will go back to them all the way from Colorado.
Mark & Bev
2001 U295 36'
Cummins ISC 8.3 350HP
Build #5802
Jeep Wrangler Toad

Reply #5
Search is your friend  ;)  There are several discussion topics on this already

Nacogdoches Motorhome Service

New service in Nacogdoches

New Service in Nac - David Whitehead

Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #6
Your year slide will push in and it makes the change much easier. The first generation slides in the 99 thru early 2002 required removing the entire room an 8 our job alone to remove and replace.  In 03 they just remove the stops and it pushes in a couple inches and they can replace the bladder. You will probably also have to have a new regulator as well.
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on Ford 550 nonslide version
Former Coaches  covering. 360,000 miles
1999 34 U270
2000 36 U320
2001 42' double slide U320
2018 Jeep Rubicon

Reply #7
Good guys, while I was there they replaced a slide seal in a Foretravel, it was one like John referenced, they were able to push it in the coach enough to R&R. Give Bruce a call, I believe you will be happy with their service.
Bill and Marsha Kuykendall
1999 Foretravel U320 36' CAI
Build Number 5446
2006 Lexus GX 470

Reply #8
We had our 2002 living room slide seal replaced last fall at MOT and it took a day and a half.  We had to get a hotel room.
MOT did not replace the regulator.  Should that worry me?

John, do you know if a pre-2003 can retrofitted to allow the process that you described?

Larry

Reply #9
Sounds to me like the 2002 model year (mine) was awkwardly designed unit.  Not only the slide removal issue, but FOT also hung the Aqua Hot from the storage bay ceiling, which results in a miserable (according to FOT techs) and a day-long process to service it (well over $1000 in labor alone).

Reply #10
Highly highly recommended. I cannot say enough good things about NMS. I was one of the original posters linked by Michelle. They are the regular and preferred maintenance and service providers for my coach. 

We were in Colorado for a few weeks last summer and had an air leak due to a failed polycarbonate bowl and shut off valve on the auxiliary compressor. One phone call to Bruce at Nacogdoches Motorhome Service and he overnighted the replacement parts to us. When the package arrived, included were hand written instructions on how to replace the parts, along with electrical connectors and a roll of electrical tape just in case I needed them. It was above and beyond what was expected. Cell service was spotty, but when I called to thank Bruce and settle up, he just said, "we'll settle up when you get back... have a great trip."

They have gone above and beyond time and time again. While I have not received bad coach service at FOT or MOT, my experience with NMS has just been better. They are very straightforward, transparent, knowledgable, and easily accessible.

I feel I have been brushed off and not taken seriously by one of the other service shops in Nacogdoches likely due to my age, and it has happened repeatedly. I am on my second Foretravel and I'm in my early 40s. I am not retired or a "high net worth" individual, and do not fit the profile of a typical Foretravel owner, but my money spends just the same which one of the other service centers does not seem to understand. We are not full-timers, but our family just chooses to put more value on creating memories with our kids at the sacrifice of some material possessions, and our Foretravel plays the most critical role in making those memories.

I tell my peers who are new RV owners that it's definitely not a lifestyle for everyone, and you have to become immune to writing big checks for service, maintenance, and repairs. For the quality, I'd rather have a 15, 20, or 25 year old Foretravel than a newer comparably priced sticks-and-staples example full of modern bells and whistles from SOB. Our friends who are new to the lifestyle are enamored with our coach (and they should be; it's beautiful) but we are not new to the lifestyle (we know it is something we really enjoy) and we did not start at the top. My point is our family has sacrificed and worked very hard to be among the elite and proud owners of a Foretravel, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Bruce and Seth at Nacogdoches Motorhome Service have treated me better and with more respect as an individual, and for me, their superior level of customer service and willingness to go above and beyond is the winner, hands down.
Cody, Gretchen, Paul, and Benny
Lufkin, Texas USA
2004 42' U320 #6270 Bunk Coach - Current
1985 35' FTX ORED #2479 - Previous
2000 40' U320 #5665 WTFE - Previous
Motorcade #17797
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon AEV 392 HEMI toad
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L toad

Reply #11
Larry, what is your build number?  My 2002 was built in August of 2001 and the bladder can be replaced by sliding the room in.  It does not require complete removal of the room.  It has the "Train" slide mechanism. 

HWH did not replace my slide manifold when they replaced the bladder 6 years ago.  I think that is a recent requirement from them.  I was there a couple of years ago and they repaired my manifold but did not replace it with a new model at that time either.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
PakCanoe 15

Reply #12
Rich, my build number is 5919.  I'm curious as to what yours is.  Keith (MOT) pulled our slide clear out of the coach when he replaced our (air) leaking seal this past fall.

Larry

Reply #13
Rich, my build number is 5919.  I'm curious as to what yours is.  Keith (MOT) pulled our slide clear out of the coach when he replaced our (air) leaking seal this past fall.

Larry
It's in his sig.
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #14
OK.  I see it.  Thanks.  I see that his coach was built exactly 20 line units after ours.  I wonder what's up with that mid-model year change. 

Keith definitely knows his stuff, and one of the FOT techs warned me that my seal was going to need replaced soon several months ahead of that, and he also told me that a forklift would be needed to remove the room from the coach.

I am rather puzzled now.

Larry

Reply #15
Responding to Cody's post, I curious if was the service writer or techs on the shop floor that he felt 'brushed him off'.  I can't imagine either shop foreman (Keith or Alton) doing that.

Larry

Reply #16
I do have a 'disappointing' story to tell about our last visit to FOT.  I had about a week's worth of service items - one of which was to replace the seal on our toilet as it wouldn't hold water in the bowl.  The FOT service tech told me that they couldn't fix it because they didn't have a gasket set on hand and couldn't get one any more.  I jumped into our tow vehicle and drove north less than one mile to another RV (travel trailer dealer) to see if they had one.  They also said that our toilet gasket set was obsolete and no longer stocked but that another model gasket set was interchangeable and they had it in stock.  I bought it and took it back to FOT.  The service tech sure had a sheepish look on his face when I handed it to him.

Larry

Reply #17
Larry,

With my coach being built in Aug 2001, I assume it was very early in the 2002 production cycle.  I'm guessing that you do not have a 2002 "Train" slide mechanism but one of the last of the ones used on the 2001 models in your 2002 U295.  I'm not sure what the 2001 slide mechanisms are called.  "Scissor" comes to mind but a more knowledgeable 2001 owner can let us know.

If you put your coach info in your signature block, it will help folks respond when you post questions or comments.

Rich
Rich and Peggy Bowman
PakCanoe 15

Reply #18
HI guys,

My coach number is 5957 and it was made in September 2001. When my slide seal was replaced at HWH a few years ago they had to remove the slide completely. However, Lon did say they removed a piece of wood that was blocking the ability to push it in for future re[placement. Ha, like I want to have to do it again! At least I received the new, ribbed rubber seal so it may last longer.
Jim

2002 U320 42'
Jim Frerichs
2002 U320 42'

Reply #19
Responding to Cody's post, I curious if was the service writer or techs on the shop floor that he felt 'brushed him off'.  I can't imagine either shop foreman (Keith or Alton) doing that.

Larry

I know it may be hard to imagine Larry, and I appreciate your concern. If you are in their demographic, I am sure you have received excellent customer service. I do not doubt that for one second; I know a lot of folks have. If the customer service experience for all customers were consistent with what I have received from this service department over the years, they would not have any customers and would have to shut their doors. Although they are the smallest operation, Bruce and Seth would have the market cornered in Nacogdoches.

After my post, I received a private message from two other forum members who have received similar treatment from the same source and they too have long thought it was because of their younger age (both are close to my age). It appears it is not just isolated to me personally. Those other members have a nickname for the treatment they receive from this provider, and it is a running joke between those two members.

I am far more disappointed in the service manager than the service writers, and it has been over a year now since I have patronized that business, so things may have changed, but let me also state it was not isolated to just one recent visit. The way I was welcomed by the service manager when I picked up my coach from my last visit was a cold opening of, "do you need something?" and that was after I stood there waiting for about 15 minutes to speak with someone. After I told him I was there to pick up my coach, his demeanor never really changed and I ran into other issues on that same visit just trying to pick it up, all due to an overall lack of service and lack of caring. I have continue to promptly pay them for services rendered even though I am far from pleased. I have never once been dissatisfied with NMS. They have taken the best care of me, by far.

I will not directly reveal who it was because even though I have stated my issues, I want all Foretravel related businesses to succeed. My opinion is this particular one is mishandling the next generation of owners and service customers. Why is my money any different from the next person's? It shouldn't be, but it certainly is with this service center. I want to see more people come to the brand from other brands, whether new or used. I want the factory and their service center to survive and support our coaches. I want to see MOT continue to expand and grow. We need choice and competition in Nacogdoches. I just choose to keep my money on the one who takes the best care of my family and my coach.
Lufkin, Texas USA
Motorcade #17797

Reply #20
Just my observations as a guy of a certain age.:

Keith and Alton are very good at their jobs as shop for men for their respective employers. They are approachable and friendly but they are not great B-S'ers. They are not employed as front men for their respective service departments.
At MOT Eric and James are the service department customer contact people. I think they are very good at what they do and have nothing but good things to say about both of them.
At FOT the last service manager is gone and in my opinion that is a good thing. James Triana is the Service Director and he has been put in that position to right the ship. I have found James to be very approachable and understanding of my concerns of which I've had more than a few. Recently Alan Hall was the only service adviser at FOT. He came over to service from production and is learning his craft. I find Alan to be friendly and helpful. He has a very tough job to do and like most people in that business he will have a bad day now and then.
Having been a line mechanic, service advisor and maintenance manager I know how tough it can be at times dealing with the general public. If you are next in line after the previous customer has chewed you out because a less than professional technician has not done a good job of repairing his $1M coach he may not have a smile on his face when he greets you. Not everyone is cutout for the position they are in. If you are treated poorly you should make the effort to report your experience to that persons boss. Things can only change for the better if you provide honest feedback to the person who is responsible for that department.
If you are unhappy let someone in authority know.

Steve
Steve & Sandy
2003 U320 4220 WCDS, build#6160
Motorcade #17794
USMC '67-'71

Reply #21
After my post, I received a private message from two other forum members who have received similar treatment from the same source and they too have long thought it was because of their younger age (both are close to my age). It appears it is not just isolated to me personally.

It isn't.  We had a long-time salesperson ask us if we were "visiting our parents or just kicking tires" when we were seriously looking at a couple of newer coaches (this was about 12-13 years ago).  If you want to see some real confusion, try being female and asking detailed technical questions about a coach system  ;)  That one resulted in me being called "Sir" by a tech.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #22
Just my observations as a guy of a certain age.:

Keith and Alton are very good at their jobs as shop for men for their respective employers. They are approachable and friendly but they are not great B-S'ers. They are not employed as front men for their respective service departments.
At MOT Eric and James are the service department customer contact people. I think they are very good at what they do and have nothing but good things to say about both of them.
At FOT the last service manager is gone and in my opinion that is a good thing. James Triana is the Service Director and he has been put in that position to right the ship. I have found James to be very approachable and understanding of my concerns of which I've had more than a few. Recently Alan Hall was the only service adviser at FOT. He came over to service from production and is learning his craft. I find Alan to be friendly and helpful. He has a very tough job to do and like most people in that business he will have a bad day now and then.
Having been a line mechanic, service advisor and maintenance manager I know how tough it can be at times dealing with the general public. If you are next in line after the previous customer has chewed you out because a less than professional technician has not done a good job of repairing his $1M coach he may not have a smile on his face when he greets you. Not everyone is cutout for the position they are in. If you are treated poorly you should make the effort to report your experience to that persons boss. Things can only change for the better if you provide honest feedback to the person who is responsible for that department.
If you are unhappy let someone in authority know.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I am pleased to hear that your experiences are positive and consistent with a majority of other members. Many a forum member praises these shops heavily, and until I was contacted privately by others with similar experiences to mine, I thought for years it was isolated to me. While disappointing, it is somewhat comforting to now know that it is not just me. I'm not looking to BS with these guys and I certainly don't want special treatment, but I am saying with recently shared supporting testimony, customers outside of their typical ownership profile do not get the same overall customer service experience as you are likely accustomed to. I hope they continue to meet your expectations and the many others that share in your positive experiences.

I'm sure these individuals you mentioned are great people, but if your experiences (and others) were comparable to mine, you would have taken your business elsewhere and these service departments would not be as highly praised. Maybe I'm dealing with the wrong people, but in my opinion, nothing short of excellence should be demanded by their brand, employers, and/or supervisors. They're not exactly servicing Jaycos down at the Camping World.

I understand individuals have job related stresses of dealing with the general public. I am not always in the best mood after stroking a $15,000+ check to a service department that has a now longish history of treating my patronization as what is probably below the minimum standards of their unaware management team, but I keep any frustration to myself. I have not voiced my concerns to their direct supervisors. I should not have to; great customer service for all customers should be absolutely expected from these institutions. I have voted with my checkbook and have taken my business to a shop that welcomes me with open arms and exceeds my very realistic and relaxed expectations without having to ask or complain to management.

From information provided in your post, it sounds like someone internally recognizes this service department's faults and has redirected course with staffing changes. Let's hope they get it right. There is choice and competition in Nacogdoches. No business needs to be alienating customers right now, or ever. Will I be back around to them? Sure. They possess some proprietary equipment and service capabilities that I cannot always get from NMS, but they are not my provider of choice for the reasons I have stated. We need them, but they need us too.

It isn't.  We had a long-time salesperson ask us if we were "visiting our parents or just kicking tires" when we were seriously looking at a couple of newer coaches (this was about 12-13 years ago).  If you want to see some real confusion, try being female and asking detailed technical questions about a coach system  ;)  That one resulted in me being called "Sir" by a tech.

When traveling, I commonly get asked by other SOB coach owners if my Foretravel belongs to my parents or grandparents. It's frustrating and degrading. We have worked very hard to enjoy what we have before the age of retirement, all for the benefit of making memories with our children.

We looked for a bunk coach for four years before I was able to purchase one. We were extremely pleased with our last coach but were always casually shopping for an alternative. We thought we would never be able to source a bunk coach within our budget, and had a similar experience to yours on the sales side.

I thought maybe being an existing owner would give me some credibility when dealing with dealers, but it did not do anything to get them to take me seriously. Kristen was at FOT at the time. She was the only one I dealt with who was proactively helpful, but I was not in love with the coach that we landed on there. MOT offered me $40,000 less on my trade than what I ended up getting for it through a private sale. I know they need to account for possible reconditioning and make money on the eventual sale, but that's just too wide of a spread. We purchased our current bunk coach in an all cash deal from a private individual after trying to work with dealers. I can't say we didn't try...
Lufkin, Texas USA
Motorcade #17797

Reply #23
Cody, I have tried to keep quiet but can't help myself.  I can't speak to MOT or FOT service as I have never been there--that being said I have noticed a trend in service providers in general.  I know( I'm painting with a broad brush) when I and a lot of my generation worked for someone else I took ownership in the company (I don't mean buying stock) I looked at the job as if I was part owner of the company--if I helped make good products they would make money and I would benefit-- I see this younger group looking at their
work as just a paycheck and they do just what they have to do to keep getting the paycheck--they don't take ownership--
I have worked in the public sector and yes it is tough to keep a smile when you get chewed out for things out of your control--
My go to response was "yes Mam or Yes sir" I will try to take care of the problem and force a smile and I will say in 99% of people I worked for when job was finished(building contractor) the customer was very satisfied.
Sorry for the Rant
I'll try to go back to keeping quiet
Chris
1999 U 320 DGFE
Build Number 5523
Chris & Elka Lang
In the field, Lonoke AR

Reply #24
Chris is spot on with his analysis!  I worked in the people field for well over 50 years and with our small mom & pop business, it is tough to find those willing to put forth the effort as if they had a "piece of the pie" so to speak in the business!  I was very pleased with our second trip to MOT after a bad experience and I can say that Eric was the best to deal with of anyone that we had dealings with.
Now, on to the slide issues!  Foretravel was in serious condition back in those days, even when the '03 came out of production.  On our 2000 coach, the slide needs to be pulled as well and is different with the inner workings of any other slide that was produced.  Foretravel was trying to find an answer to the slide issues!  Unfortunately, months later, Mr. Fore had to step down and a new owner stepped in, whom we have today.  We all need to support the mother company to allow those of us who have had the older coaches to still get the hard to find items we need.  This is but one perk of owning a Foretravel coach.  After having read many posts on here about their service, we will give NMS a chance next time we are in Nacogdoches!
Joe & Dottie Allen
Sold!  December 2023.      2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach " Maxine"
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F330833; Boondockers Welcome;  Harvest Hosts;  Thousand Trails
'98 U320 from 2000-'06
USAF '62-'66

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." ―Epicurus