Skip to main content
Topic: Sonar Fuel Sender  (Read 322 times) previous topic - next topic

Sonar Fuel Sender

My fuel sender went out on my 2013 Nimbus. When I would turn left my fuel guage would go to Full and right turns to Empty and the check engine light and low fuel signal would come on. I took it to my local repair shop to get it fixed and they called Foretravel and learned that they no longer make a mechanical float for my coach, but they now Foretravel uses a Sonar Fuel sender that mounts and connects to the existing wires and tank fitting. Plug and play.

Interesting that there are no moving parts and it measures the sonar signal that bounces off the bottom of the tank to the sender to determine fuel level. Just thought I'd post this in case your sender goes bad.

Pat

Re: Sonar Fuel Sender

Reply #1
My fuel sender went out on my 2013 Nimbus. When I would turn left my fuel guage would go to Full and right turns to Empty and the check engine light and low fuel signal would come on. ......

Pat
Pat, if you had just planned your routes so you only made lefts turns you could have skipped fuel stations and saved tons of money on diesel.  :D ;D

Seriously, thanks for sharing that info.  Using radar for measuring levels in large industrial tanks is pretty common, but interesting sonar is cost effective and being used on a smaller scale for vehicle fuel tanks. 
40ft 1997 U320

Re: Sonar Fuel Sender

Reply #2
Do you have any info on what brand FT is using?
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell