Skip to main content
Topic: The End is Near (Read 1822 times) previous topic - next topic

The End is Near

For the current server that is.

The server that has hosted the site from the beginning is in desperate need of upgrades.  Unfortunately to do that on the existing server is not the best path, and instead moving to a new server is underway.  The new one will of course have more processing power, memory, disk space, speed all the goodies you get with new(er) hardware.  We are currently very tight on storage and memory so getting some breathing room will be nice.

Also being updated is the server software, the version we are running is EOL.  That means its difficult to patch for security and newer versions of the most important software does not want to run on it.  We are now 3 generations back and trying to upgrade that "stack" to the most recent is just ugly.

Since that is not enough, the version of the forum software we are running is also EOL, so that will be updated to the most recent as well.  There will be some subtle visual changes, and some new features, but nothing that I would call major in terms of how you use it.  Everything one normally does should be no different.

Lastly we are trying out a new version of the "media" area.  Now this is a different software so the interface will be different, but then again the current Media section has a large collection of delightful quirks.  This will likely be after the move, but its something being worked on.

This weekend is the target to move, which means the site will begin to display an "in maintenance mode" page.  Steve has done as much as possible to prepare for the move so the downtime *should* be only a few hours.  The new server has a new IP address, as such name servers need to be updated.  Depending on your host that can take some time, up to a day for some, nothing to do on your end it just happens.

After we are back, I'd expect some issues that will need to be resolved, email comes to mind, as does search.  Those can't be fully prepared ahead of the move so do expect some glitches here and there as things come back to life.

Carry on.
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Re: The End is Near

Reply #1
Many thanx for all the time and effort you guys expend making this Forum such a nice place to hang out.

Chuck, Jeannie & Bella the MalChi
1993 U280 SE 40' WTBI, Build: 4359
C8.3 300hp, 6-Speed, Exhaust Brake
960 watts on the roof (6 x 160)
Kia on a Kar Kaddy SS
I may suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect, but I seriously doubt it...

Reply #2
Thank you! It’s such an amazing asset for Foretravel owners to have the forum available at no charge, a place to go where “friends” help friends and all without annoying adverts or politics.
All your work and moderating is really appreciated,
David
David & Emma Roche
Dino (Golden Doodle)
1999 U270 WTFE 36’ Build # 5534
Xtreme “Lights, Stripes & Roof”
Motorcade# 18321
Dayton, Ohio
Towd: Jeep Grand Cherokee
Two Townie Electra Bikes

Life is made to enjoy, the Foretravel helps!

Reply #3
Thanks for all your hard work keeping things running smoothly
Bruce, Linda, and Macy
Zoey RIP 1/20/19
1999 U295 40' build #5400
2017 silver Jeep Wrangler, 840 watts of solar on top
Moving around the country

Reply #4
If you guys find yourselves in a bind, I have a lightly used fully managed server in a top tier data center in Chicago that can assist. Just let me know. 
Dave & Diane
2001 U270 36' WTFE #5820
2016 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock
Motorcade #18156

Reply #5
Do you need some member financial support to cover the costs?

I'd be happy to contribute to a go fund me or paypal to help defray the costs.
Dan - Full timing since 2009
2003 U320 40' Tag 2 slide

Reply #6
See replay # 5

I will also be happy to contribute if needed.

Regards

Klaus
The world is not interested in the storms you encountered, but whether or not you brought in the ship.
Raul Armesto

2003 U 320 4020 Unit 6145

Reply #7
Same here!
Richard & Betty Bark & Keiko our Golden Doodle
2003 U320T 3820 PBDS
Build # 6215
MC # 16926
2016 Chevrolet Colorado 4X4 diesel

Reply #8
Yes, thank you seems so insufficient, but we appreciate you, your efforts, and expenditures. Please let us know how we can help! I’m sure we could raise funds quickly via a GoFundMe or similar effort via the Foretravel Owners Facebook group if money would help. I also know a particular member who may share some of your technical expertise who might be willing to help, but would want to ask before I volunteer him. Pleas let me know if either of those would help, or anything I could do to help.

Thanks again!
1996 36’ U295 Build #4879 Motorcade #18088
2007 Jeep Liberty 4x4 FMCA #F474816
Foretravel Mid-South
There’s no happy like Foretravel happy!

Reply #9
Same for us.
96 U270 BUILD 4810
85 380SL
Drummonds TN.

Reply #10
Me Too !!!!  Any Expense should be shared, more than willing to contribute.........  ^.^d  ^.^d  ^.^d
Gerry & Brenda
CHARLOTTE HARBOR, FL
1994 Grand Villa - # 4466
U300 Unihome - 6V92 Detroit
4 speed Allison - Jake Brake

Reply #11
Thanks for all that yall do to keep the forum going.
As a suggestion would it be possible going forward to break out the technical forum into different categories such as drivetrain, suspension, electrical, plumbing (including aquahot) ?  I know it would be a tremendous amount of work to re-categorize older posts but would make searching much easier if you could implement more categories for new posts.
PM me if you have any questions.
Forest & Cindy Olivier
1999 36' U320 build #5522
2013 Rzr 570
2006 Lexus GX470
2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #12
"Steve has done as much as possible to prepare for the move so the downtime *should* be only a few hours."

I love optimists.

"After we are back, I'd expect some issues that will need to be resolved,"

As in what to do with what's left of your hair?

I agree, where do we donate to the adult beverage fund?

Good Luck with the move.  None of this is life safety.
1992 Foretravel Grand Villa
U225 SBID Build No. 4134
1986 Rockwood Driftwood
1968 S.I.A.T.A. Spring
1962 Studebaker Lark
1986 Honda VF700C
1983 Honda VF750C
Duke, the Dog
N1RPN

Reply #13
Good luck with the upgrade. I hope all goes well. Not a easy undertaking  ^.^d
Bruce & Linda
2004 U295, Build # 6268
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd or 1985 Jeep CJ7

Reply #14
A huge shout out to you both for all you do to keep this great forum up and running!  Just one more reason to own a Foretravel!
Thank you, thank you!
Joe & Dottie Allen
2000 U320; build # 5645
Our coach, Maxine
Motorcade #  15922;  Escapee 150950; FMCA F495795; Boondockers Welcome
'98 U320 from 2000-'06

"the difference between stupidity and genius?  Genius has it's limits!"

Reply #15
Thanks for the ongoing effort and support.  We all share in its benefit.  Like many, I would lend support if it was accepted, no strings attached.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill,  This is the beginning of the end that leads to a new beginning and new future. 
👍👍

Reply #16
Truly appreciate the heads up Michelle. As the rest of the monthly crew above I would also be interested in helping. Who wouldn't let me spend so much time here? We like to see more space in the personal message box although I know that I should go back and trim... As should a lot of us but I find it's difficult to get rid of old messages that maybe one day I might want to read again LOL
'99 U320 40 WTFE
Build #5462,
1500 Watts Solar 600 amp Victron lithium
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi
Instagram bobfnbw
Retired

Reply #17
When you said to keep the quotes short, etc, I was wondering if site's memory was limited. Your work is appreciated and I know most of us would like to chip in to help so just ask.

Hope the new site will continue to have spell check. :D

Thanks again for the fantastic job you have been doing.

Pierce
Pierce,  Gaylie and Koda
'93 U300/36 WTBI
Detroit 6V-92TA Jake
1140 watts on the roof

Reply #18
I have done a few migrations like this and understand how much work and finesse is involved. Thank you and good luck. Count me in for a donation too
2001 U320 4010

Not all that wander are lost... but I usually am.

Reply #19
I echo what all others are saying.  Count me in too.  
40ft 1997 U320

Reply #20
I've done a few migrations lately and it's amazing the things the pop-up and bite you in the butt! Hope yours goes smoothly.

Looking forward to a brand new shiny server! :) Thanks for all your hard work!

see ya
ken
ken & dori hathaway & Big Agnes
🍺1992 U300 GrandVilla WTBI #4150 FOT FBP 2011
✨6V-92TA DDEC Parlor Coach 350HP Series 92
🏁2011 Nissan XTerra Pro-4X

Reply #21
Thank you so much!
At one time there was an inconspicuous button we could click on to make contributions. That may not be available anymore.
But the Amazon link is on the welcome page, that may help some. We just need to use it.

2003 GV U295 (6230)
2006 Jeep Unlimited TJ
2019 Ram 1500 4x4 v6
Former 94 GV U225

Reply #22
Another forum family willing to help with new server cost.
1998 36 foot U270 Build No. 5328 WTFE, 900 watts solar, Victron controller with 2018 Chevy Colorado toad, SKP #110239, Motorcade #17781, retired and full-timer since Dec. 2020. Part of RV family since 1963.

Reply #23
I too would contribute something to make sure this forum doesn't end up like beamalarm did (sorry I don't like the revisions and broken links).

Reply #24
We'd be more than happy to contribute to the expense/adult beverage fund.

Thanks for a great forum!
Retired
1993 U300 GV/40 SAI
DD-6V92TA
Build: 4366 / MC: 18335
P/O Bill Chaplin