Skip to main content
Topic: VMSpc installation (Read 1136 times) previous topic - next topic

VMSpc installation

After installing the replacement backup camera, the old stereo head unit in the dash no longer has any use to me.  I decided to get a VMSpc setup and mount up a laptop display there.  I emailed Roger Engdahl and got a setup coming.  Showed up quickly and was very easy to install.

First I removed the old head unit and installed a single DIN pocket which is screwed to the cage for strength and stability.  It's just a pocket that I'm not going to use.

Once that was installed, I cut a piece of 3/16" ABS plastic sheet to cover the pocket from the front.  I bought 3 Scosche Magic Mount Pro XL mounts and stuck them to the front of this piece, then using Devcon Plastic Welder, glued that piece to the face of the pocket.

While that was drying, I connected the 9-pin adapter to the port and ran the wire through the dash to the JIB, which I located behind the pocket and zip-tied to some A/C hose.  I ran the USB cable from the JIB under the dash and up between the cigarette lighter plugs and into the USB port at the bottom of my laptop.

For the laptop, I chose an older Microsoft Surface 4 Pro, which has a 12.3" screen.  This is just shy of 8" wide, and fits nicely where the old head unit was, without covering up much additional real estate. 

I've got most of my data channels set up, but will be fine tuning those over the next week's trip, to make it exactly what I want to see.

Keith
2003 U320 38' #6197

Re: VMSpc installation

Reply #1
Very nice set up and write up Keith.
Some of my VMSpc displays "flash" (oil pressure) when values change, very distracting.
Not sure if it's a setting or what but rarely use mine unless a problem is suspected.
Frank & Connie Williams
1999 U320 '36
Build: 5466
MC: 18335

Reply #3
Very nice writeup....Minus the Laptop pro that you already had, Is this what you acquired for this setup?

I am giving thought to this myself.

Silverleaf VMSPC9 VMS To 9 Pin Diagnostic Port Complete Engine Monitoring

Thanks,
If you are not familiar with setting up VMSpc you might want to consider Roger's packages.
VMSpc Kits, Ready to Use, 15% off through December 15, 2020
1999 40 ft. U-320 wtfe build 5563 Chuck & Lynda's "Rollin' Inn"  2030 watts solar
prev. mh's 71 GMC 5 yrs. 73 Pace Setter 1 yr. 78 Vogue 5 yrs 81 FTX 40ft all electric 18 yrs. 1996 Monaco Signature 3 yrs.
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die today.  James Dean

Reply #4
Very nice writeup....Minus the Laptop pro that you already had, Is this what you acquired for this setup?
Thanks,
I bought the kit from Roger here on the board.  The link above that Craneman posted is where I got the info and contact.
Keith
2003 U320 38' #6197

Reply #5
Somewhat familiar with the tech.....and have nothing against buying anything from fellow members of forums. But I have dozens of HMI setups at my disposal, and setup similar type communication systems in my job almost daily.  All I really need is the cable/interface and software which is downloadable from Silverleaf. I am just wanting to know if the VMS interface part that Keith used is the same as that available online at a few sources. If Roger has similar for equal or less would be more than happy to do business with him. But a package setup I just dont need.

Sounds like you went with the $399 approach?
 which appears to be a good bargain with many extras.
Mike in AL
2001 U295
8.3 ISC 350
Build 5918

Reply #6
The kit you linked to looks to have the same hardware that I got.  I bought the DIY kit from Roger as I already had a tablet PC I wanted to use that fit my space perfectly.  I chose to buy the kit from Roger for a few reasons. 
    • It supports him, which supports the board.
    • Looking on Silverleafs' website, their forum for VMSpc is basically dead.  I wanted access to support, which Roger will be able to provide outside of Silverleaf.
    • His instructions are specific to our coaches, not just generic.
    [/list]

I didn't use all of the little bits included, but it was nice to get them.  A few more bits for future projects.  My computer does not have a CD drive, so getting the SW on a USB stick was very handy for me as well.
    Keith
    2003 U320 38' #6197

Reply #7

Silverleaf VMSPC9 VMS To 9 Pin Diagnostic Port Complete Engine Monitoring

Thanks,

Rogers set up is the bomb! He gives after sale support. We love ours! Bad pic but here it is.. plug and play
    The selected media item is not currently available.Keith & Jo
    2003 U320T 4025 PBBS Designer series
    Build 6203    Cummins 500hp
    2000 U320 4010 WTFE / Build 5762 —Sold—
    Motorcade #18070   
    Pasadena, Texas
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-Sunset Orange pearl coat
    Don't argue with a fool, people watching might not be able to tell the difference.

Reply #8
    Thanks for the continued feedback, I just wanted to make sure what I was looking at, was the same as what Roger offered. I wanted to read more specs than his link offered. No doubt a much better deal considering the little bits, support after and support for the site. I will go his basic route when i get ready to drop the coins, At the moment I got lots more stuff to do before I do. Just getting all my research done. Thanks for the input and nice job on install Keith.
    Mike in AL
    2001 U295
    8.3 ISC 350
    Build 5918

Reply #9
    Mike, if price is your only consideration then buy your VMSpc gear from RVUpgrades.  It is a no support ...  you are on your own deal. 

Some folks do better with this sort of stuff on their own, I do, that's how I got started with it 9 years ago. I figured there were many out there who could use a plug and play solution. So now I am a Silverleaf dealer, their only VMSpc system integrator and I have helped more than 60 Forum members add a VMSpc system to their coach. I do it because I think it will improve their experience and driving skills.  And I get to meet a lot of interesting folks.

Reply #10
    and Roger's support may become more valuable as time goes on.  Silverleaf was recently sold to Winegard.
    Forest & Cindy Olivier
    1987 log cabin
    2011 Roadtrek C210P
    no longer 1999 36' U320 build #5522
    2013 Rzr 570 & 2018 Ranger XP1000
    2006 Lexus GX470
    2011 Tahoe LT 4x4
    Previous 1998 45' 2 slide Newell, 1993 39' Newell

Reply #11
    I'm in contact with Roger.

Keith....does this setup you have, have the ability to pull and reset OBD codes, both Cummins and Allison, from the ECM?

Though a fancy on the dash display of engine conditions is nice, and yes I do like it.....I headed down this path in search of the ability to read and reset check engine code conditions. I see a fancy display as just an added benefit of the tech.

Thanks, Mike
    Mike in AL
    2001 U295
    8.3 ISC 350
    Build 5918

Reply #12
    You cannot reset engine or transmission diagnostics but VMspc can display them in real time if you want. All are recorded in a log that is retrievable and printable. This is not really like a car.  But it will alert you to many conditions that are very minor to major. Most of these have little impact on operating your coach but they are valuable diagnostic tools. An many of us can go for months or years and never see one.  This is a minor function of VMSpc although useful when you need it.

You can display what you want to see, most of what is on your dash is hard to see and read at a glance. Any more time than that and you are not paying attention to driving.  There is no gear you are in indication on most Allison shift pads, no retarder temps, no intake manifold temps, no boost indication, no engine load. Knowing all of these will help you understand how to be a more effective operator of your coach especially in the mountains and in other challenging conditions. 

VMSpc is not just a fancy display, it a set of tools to help improve your performance as a driver and understanding of how your coach works.

Happy to help whe you are ready.

Reply #13
    Roger,

Thank you for the detailed answer, and a clarification on the topic I have been trying to get an answer to. I agree. being able to see many unknown running parameters is a positive thing. Many that will assist in making the driver more informed and familiar with the safe and more efficient operation of their rig. I do like the idea of the VMS and will one day probably add it. Fully agree the tiny gauges are not the easiest to monitor. But at the moment, I am searching more for the tools that are related to dealing with error code reading and resetting.
    Mike in AL
    2001 U295
    8.3 ISC 350
    Build 5918

Reply #14
    As Roger said, you can see codes, but can't clear them.  When the "check engine" light comes on and starts dinging at you, it's really nice to be able to look up the code and see how important it is.  I got one today on my drive home.  Pulled over and did the diagnostics...turned out to be a speed sensor, nothing "engine" related, so I kept going.  I would not have known what it was and probably would have stopped on the road to err on the side of caution, without the VMSpc.
    Keith
    2003 U320 38' #6197

Reply #15
    I own Roger's solution. His tech support is great. I was bothered by a yellow flashing engine cooling temp light and he fixed it while I was at a rest stop somewhere in WV. Convenient and easy and programming it is something I don't have to learn.
    Michael Hayley; Barry Brennan
    2001 U320, 36', IFS, build #5909
    Buster and Shelby, (Boxers)