Skip to main content
Topic: Air Regulators (Read 1400 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Regulators

There are many you can use.
The ones I have on my front leveling & air step cover is a SMC NAR2000-N02.
I bought a similar one at Home depot when I put in my Knoedler Air Ride Drivers Chair.

I don't believe there is an air regulator on the rear leveling.

The Front air regulator supplies air from the front brake tank to the front air suspension manifold.
Pressure should be 50-60 lbs.

They put a regulator in the front circuit so that when we go into travel mode, the front end
(which is lighter) doesn't raise faster than the rear and confuse us
into thinking we're ready to travel before the rear is at travel height!
The selected media item is not currently available.Barry BEAM #16014
2003 U320 40' AGDS
Beamalarm, Foretravel technical help and specifications
"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"

Re: Air Regulators

Reply #1
My Aux compressor was coming on too often.
I added a pressure gauge on my aux compressor to see what psi turns the compressor on & off.
I had doused every connection with soapy water on the air lines with no bubbles multiple times.
I added a ball valve on one of the air lines so I could determine which line was the problem.
It turns out the regulator we have been talking about was leaking at the stem.
I was spraying just the end connectors.
It was a small leak. but after staring at it for a few minutes I saw it start to bubble.
I am replacing it now.
Since I am leaving for a month on thursday, I wanted to get these last items finished.
But now I notice fluid leaking from the hydraulic fan area behind the radiator.
Well I thought I was done  :(
The saga continues

2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #2
Barry, sorry to hear about the hydraulic system leak.  Hope you resolve that issue quickly & inexpensively (if there is such a thing).  On the subject of pressure regulators, do you know how many of these are under the coach and their locations?  I replaced the one that's located in the middle of the front axle area last year.  I saw another one that was okay aound the front step area.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #3
The one in the center is the one I replaced.
That is set at 60psi.
There is another for the steps.
I think that is it

I cannot repair the hydraulic leak myself.
So I will probably find a place in the Phoenix area to look at it.
I will be there about 10 days before we head to
Canyon de Chelle, Arches, Canyonland, Capitol Reef, Anasazi Village State Park & Grand Canyon North Rim.
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #4
Thanks, Barry.  I got the same information as to the 60 psi setting last year from James Triana, but I forgot to ask him the question you answered.  BTW, have you ever put any additives in your hydraulic system reservoir?  Some folks recommend using Lucas oil additive for diesels to improve performance.  I personally have never done it.  Let's hope your repairs are minor.  Keep us updated and have fun amongst the rocks in your travels.
Peter & Beth Martin
No Forrest? What have you done?
MC# 15890 until Dec 2016; FMCA #F329677
Cincinnati, OH

Reply #5
I know I am digressing from the original topic but not sure yet the right procedure.
It looks like my air is holding tight.
My hydraulic leak may be a radiator leak as my overflow bottle is empty.
I added 2 cans of Barrs Leak to see if that will help.
There was 4 cans put in a couple of years ago.
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #6
I know I am digressing from the original topic but not sure yet the right procedure.
It looks like my air is holding tight.
My hydraulic leak may be a radiator leak as my overflow bottle is empty.
I added 2 cans of Barrs Leak to see if that will help.
There was 4 cans put in a couple of years ago.

Barry,

Steve says he'll split this topic off shortly (he's fixing the e-mail issue you mentioned at the moment....) but wanted to reply.

We had a leak last year that we eventually determined to be the radiator - a tiny spot on the ground, some vague wetness on the curb side, and the overflow was empty.

We had FOT look at it during service and the (very good, thorough) technician (whose name I can dig out if needed) advised on and found there are a couple of long bolts that run up through the bottom of the radiator - sometimes these loosen up over time.  He tightened them and commented they were quite loose, added Bars Leak, and topped off the coolant.  More than a year and at least 7K miles later we have no evidence of leaking.

Michelle
Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper!  - John C. Bogle

Lifetime Escapees' member SKP 82766
Former 1999 30IB Lazy Daze (2000-2004)
Former 2003 U320 (2004-2016)
Former 2017 LTV Unity (2017-2023)
Shopping for our next coach

Reply #7
Barry,

Regarding tech help in the Phoenix area.  We were at a small dealer in Phoenix in April.  Our HWH leveling system was worked on by a very good tech who left a few says later to start his own business. If you are looking for help with your hydraulic leak, a phone call to him might help you decide if this is something he can look at.

The shop was Al's RV.  I really can't speak for them other than the good work Chris did on our HWH,

His name is Chris Howlett  623-418-8128  or allrightrv@hotmail.com  To be clear here, Chris no longer works at the repair shop.

The shop is in a nice area and we stayed overnight.  Lots of stores and business around.  Very clean parking area.

George Stoltz.  Retired from full-time living in a great Foretravel and now are back to living in a traditional sticks and bricks in Florida.

Reply #8
I think it was coolant leaking.
I am leaving Chula Vista CA. heading to Quartzsite AZ tomorrow for the nite on the way to Phoenix for 2 weeks.

I will check the coolant tomorrow after we get there to see if the Barrs Leak is working.
Otherwise I may need to have it looked at in Phoenix.
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #9
My Aux compressor was coming on too often.

Barry, I have the same problem and the previous owner also installed a pressure gauge on the auxiliary air compressor. It cuts off at about 90 psi, but bleeds down and will come on 3 or 4 times a day. What pressures does yours cycle at?

Can you tell me where to find the pressure regulator you mentioned and what it looks like; do you have a photo? I have noticed a pressure gauge in the center of the coach behind the front axle. I haven't monitored it, I just noticed it when I was having some front wheel work done.

Is there a diagram on the air system, tubing, tanks, etc.?

Thanks, Dick
Dick, '03 U320 40' Tag, 2 slides, Coach #6075
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #10
What pressures does yours cycle at?
It opens at 115 psi & it resets at 85 psi.

Can you tell me where to find the pressure regulator you mentioned and what it looks like; do you have a photo?
Photos Below:

I have noticed a pressure gauge in the center of the coach behind the front axle. I haven't monitored it, I just noticed it when I was having some front wheel work done.
That is set at 60 psi.
They put a regulator in the front circuit so that when we go into travel mode, the front end (which is lighter) doesn't raise faster than the rear and confuse us
into thinking we're ready to travel before the rear is at travel height!

Is there a diagram on the air system, tubing, tanks, etc.?
Yes. It is B-2254 in your owners manual.
Do you have your owners manual? What is your 4 digit coach number?

2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #11
Barry, Your compressor cuts out at a lot higher pressure than mine. To increase the cutout point would I just turn that nut on the long bolt with the spring?

I'm afraid that if I increase the cutoff psi it will just bleed off faster. I need to find the leak. I mentioned a gauge behind the front axle; is that where you found your leak? I understand the reason for the regulator in the front circuit, I'm jst not sure where it is or what it looks like.

I did find B-2254 in my owners manual. It help. I guess I'll have to get under there and try to locate the components.

My coach number is 6075.
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #12
Barry, Your compressor cuts out at a lot higher pressure than mine. To increase the cutout point would I just turn that nut on the long bolt with the spring?
I don't know if that is adjustable or not. I hav'nt had to find out yet.

I mentioned a gauge behind the front axle; is that where you found your leak? I understand the reason for the regulator in the front circuit, I'm jst not sure where it is or what it looks like.
Yes that is the one I replaced. It was leaking at the adjustable stem & not the air connections.
More times than not it is going to be that regulator.

I did find B-2254 in my owners manual. It help. I guess I'll have to get under there and try to locate the components.

My coach number is 6075.
2003 U320 40' AGDS

Reply #13
Barry, I apologize; I missed the photo you posted earlier of that regulator with the soap suds.  ::) I'mglad to hear the air pressure is holding now.
Did you get the replacement from Home Depot and were you able to use the same fittings?
Full Timers
2009 Honda CR-V

Reply #14
Yes I bought it at Home Depot near the air compressor parts.
The air hose fittings are quick disconnect.
Pull down on the collar & pull out the air hose.
Took a couple of minutes.
2003 U320 40' AGDS