Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel filters (Read 965 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel filters

A simple 30 minute job today to routinely change out primary and secondary fuel filters on an 8.3 CUMMINS....NOT.....
Last one to change filters tightened them so tight that I could not budge secondary with a strap wrench, finally drove screwdriver through filter and it loosened.
Primary RACOR Filter was also to tight to budge, drove a punch through it to get enough leverage to move it.  Plastic cup on bottom also so tight that I could not move it, I have an extra cup so I used it. I then placed filter in vise and used BIG pair of channel locks to remove plastic cup.
After replacing both filters secondary filter was leaking at drain cock.  Could not tighten it, so.... do it all over again.
Lesson,  Filters do not have to be all that tight, hand tight and then 1/4 turn is usually enough.
I won't repeat what I am going to say to mechanic that put these filters in last time.
Now I'll go out and mow the grass, anyone want to bet that the mower will start ?  >:(

Re: Fuel filters

Reply #1
Its amazing how some places really put the old chicken grip to the filters making it nearly impossible to remove. 

I recently had that problem on the aquahot fuel filter where I had to resort to punching a screwdriver through the filter as the filter wrench was just not budging the filter.  Got it off but its a bit more of a mess!

I've also had some luck in folding over a piece of sandpaper and placing that between the filter and the wrench, gives some more bite which sometimes allows things to break free.  Unfortunately for the aquahot I had no sandpaper with me but a screwdriver can do wonders. 

For anyone who does resort to the screwdriver 'trick' , make sure to drive the screwdriver down a few inches on the filter canister, lest you drive it right into the male threads of holder, then you will be very unhappy.

Reply #2
I think anyone who has done all of the oil changes on their vehicles has used the screwdriver to convince the filter to come off at least once.  Hopefully it was on someone elses vehicle!
Michael Baldacchino
'97 40' U320

Reply #3
Our company changes a lot of oil and filters, from the small air cooled units  up to the 2 mw engines holding over 200 gal of oil and many lube and fuel filters.
The simple trick is first install correctly using oil on the gasket and not over tighten, when removing normally we use a
2" nylon strap wrench along with a 3/4" open wrench or 1/2" breaker bar if that is not enough (rarely) we use a Rigid strap wrench with a 30" handle.  The filter may be very distorted by time if comes loose but it will come loose. 
Screwdrivers usually just slit the canister and make a perfect mess with the head still on the filter housing.
Enjoy :D
Dave M Va

Reply #4
Dave,  10-4 on the mess, every time I think I have all the tools I need something like a stuck filter comes up and without the tool I improvise.  Leads to a lot of skinned knuckles and bad words but its still better than trusting some fuzzy cheeked MECHANIC who also does not have the tools and certainly not the knowledge.  I really feel for those that physically and otherwise cannot perform the minor repairs that we all have every day to do.
Man says"  I don't want all the tools, only those that I don't already have. " :D

Reply #5
With difficult filters, I use a LARGE water pump pliers as close to the filter base as I can get.

Brett Wolfe
Brett Wolfe
EX: 1993 U240
Moderator, ForeForum 2001-
Moderator Diesel RV Club 2002-
Moderator, FMCA Forum 2009-2020
Chairman FMCA Technical Advisory Committee 2011-2020

Reply #6
Brett, The water pump pliers were my first attempt, the hoses were so close to the primary that when I got them on I could not turn them then I went to Plab B for both.  :D

Reply #7
We now use a Fleetguard secondary fuel filter that does not have a bottom
drain.

Reply #8
Barry, Somewhere in my travels I acquired a second lower plastic cup for this Racor filter so as long as I am able to get filters for it I have a backup so I'll keep using it. Its really no problem but I understand that some folks have had trouble finding a replacement.