Skip to main content

Topic: Fuel filters (Read 644 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel filters
A simple 30 minute job today to routinely change out primary and secondary fuel filters on an 8.3 CUMMINS....NOT.....
Last one to change filters tightened them so tight that I could not budge secondary with a strap wrench, finally drove...

Guests must Login or Register to view full posts.

Re: Fuel filters
Reply #1
Its amazing how some places really put the old chicken grip to the filters making it nearly impossible to remove. 

I recently had that problem on the aquahot fuel filter where I had to resort to punching a screwdriver through the filter as the...

Reply #2
I think anyone who has done all of the oil changes on their vehicles has used the screwdriver to convince the filter to come off at least once.  Hopefully it was on someone elses vehicle!

Reply #3
Our company changes a lot of oil and filters, from the small air cooled units  up to the 2 mw engines holding over 200 gal of oil and many lube and fuel filters.
The simple trick is first install correctly using oil on the gasket and not over...

Reply #4
Dave,  10-4 on the mess, every time I think I have all the tools I need something like a stuck filter comes up and without the tool I improvise.  Leads to a lot of skinned knuckles and bad words but its still better than trusting some fuzzy...

Reply #5
With difficult filters, I use a LARGE water pump pliers as close to the filter base as I can get.

Brett Wolfe

Reply #6
Brett, The water pump pliers were my first attempt, the hoses were so close to the primary that when I got them on I could not turn them then I went to Plab B for both.  :D

Reply #7
We now use a Fleetguard secondary fuel filter that does not have a bottom
drain.

Reply #8
Barry, Somewhere in my travels I acquired a second lower plastic cup for this Racor filter so as long as I am able to get filters for it I have a backup so I'll keep using it. Its really no problem but I understand that some folks have had...